#1 12-2-2016 8:46 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Trans-Siberian Meetup 2018: East meets West

Based on a FaceBook discussion over the past few weeks, it seems that there are over a dozen TravBuddies who are interested in a trans-Siberian trip and meetup. Some have indicated that they will be traveling west coming from Beijing, while the others plan to go East, crossing through Mongolia or even all the way to Vladivostok.

This thread seeks to gather those of you who are interested in going on a trans-Siberian trip, with a meetup somewhere in between (Irkutsk or Novosibirsk, perhaps).

To visualize the route, please refer to the illustration taken from seat61.com (blue line)

http://www.seat61.com/images/Trans-Siberian-map.jpg

These are what we need to determine:

1) month of meetup, and if possible the day of the week/weekend (likely summer-autumn 2018)
2) city of the meetup and venue
3) accommodations at meetup city
4) activities related to meetup

Please indicate who among you are interested, and in which direction (westward or eastbound).

We have almost 2 years to plan for this. Surely we will be able to have something quite interesting by early 2018 and definite plans.

UPDATE: Meetup ID created. Please sign up here - http://www.travbuddy.com/meet-up/view.php?id=1602

Last edited by nolan (2-2-2017 8:51 PM)

#2 12-3-2016 4:35 AM

FK27
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Trans-Siberian Meetup 2018: East meets West

nolan wrote:

1) month of meetup, and if possible the day of the week/weekend (likely summer-autumn 2018)

May usually has the best weather conditions. Best date is after May 1st (busy holiday in China) and before 2018 FIFA World Cup (beginning June 14th). Ticket holders may get visa-free access to Russia after June 4th.

During spring, East-West would be perfect: April in China is not too hot, while June in Russia has already warm weather.

nolan wrote:

Ulaanbaatar: A perfect meeting point for those who want to skip either China or Russia. Mongolia enables visa-free access to some nationalities (Brazil, Canada, Germany, Japan, Turkey, USA) and reasonable flights via Beijing and Moscow. Train tickets from Ulaanbaatar to Moscow cost the same as train tickets from Beijing to Ulaanbaatar.

Ulan-Ude: capital of Buryatia.

In Russia, participants can gradually leave the train, depending on their return schedule.

Last edited by FK27 (12-3-2016 4:36 AM)

#3 12-3-2016 9:51 PM

ellechic
New York, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I'm so interested in this one - but I would ideally prefer to actually have someone travel from St Petersburg to Moscow to Beijing with someone!

-May is the best for me - I can take up to 5 weeks vacation and I think the weather would be best that time as well ^_^
    - along the route would be great - but Ulaanbaatar sounds interesting
3) accommodations at meetup city
    - i'm up for anything, if we're big enough, I'm sure we can get a group discount at a hotel or hostel?(?)
4) activities related to meetup
    -it'll depend on the venue -  but foodie that I am, I vote for a food tour! ^_^

Last edited by ellechic (12-3-2016 9:53 PM)

#4 12-5-2016 7:37 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

It is very interesting meet-up topic. I hope I can give the commitment after June 2017 as my resident visa is expired in Beijing.

If I continue to be in China then I will be happy to host a meet-up venue in Beijing.

#5 12-8-2016 1:28 AM

bitethelime
Brett
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Couch Potato

I have been planning this trip since 2014. So I am all about it. I will most likely be living in Hanoi, Vietnam. But if I am not yet, I will be going there from Prague, So I am still very interested in this meet up. I also have a local contact in UB Mongolia. He's a friend of mine from 4 year ago, and I have met his sister in Germany.

#6 12-20-2016 12:04 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Thanks to those who have responded so far. So let's try and narrow down the options.

Many seem to want to start in May. That's fine although I won't be able to make it that month due to family commitments. Having said that, I think June or July is more likely for me. We can still arrange a meetup somewhere in between if people are still traveling by then.

#7 12-27-2016 11:54 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

#8 1-9-2017 7:34 PM

soonthiam
soon thiam
Malaysia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

who, this is one trip I definitely be interested.

#9 1-27-2017 4:22 PM

karen618
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I am interested.
Trans Siberian trip is one of the list I want to fulfill.
How long do I need?

#10 1-30-2017 12:55 PM

nolan
Explorer

karen618 wrote:

I am interested.
How long do I need?

Depends on how relaxed you want your pace to be but the train ride is about six days from end to end. I'd say spend at least some time in Mongolia and Russia (Irkutsk, Moscow or St. Petersburg) before or after the train ride.

#11 1-31-2017 4:47 AM

karen618
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

nolan wrote:

karen618 wrote:

I am interested.
How long do I need?

Depends on how relaxed you want your pace to be but the train ride is about six days from end to end. I'd say spend at least some time in Mongolia and Russia (Irkutsk, Moscow or St. Petersburg) before or after the train ride.

That's great!  If you have a rough itinerary, please keep me posted.
I will be going from Beijing if confirm.

Last edited by karen618 (1-31-2017 4:50 AM)

#12 1-31-2017 8:28 AM

freespirit3
Robyn
Fort Worth, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer

Sounds like a great trip!  I am interested.

#13 2-1-2017 2:35 AM

googlybear
England, United Kingdom
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

Been wanting to do this for as long as I can remember, so I am up for it and am willing to go in either direction.

On another note, how do we access this Facebook group / Page Nolan?

#14 2-2-2017 12:37 PM

nolan
Explorer

googlybear wrote:

Been wanting to do this for as long as I can remember, so I am up for it and am willing to go in either direction.

You have to get a Facebook friend who is part of this group to add you to it.

Looks like we have a good amount of interest already. I'll get down to creating the meetup ID soon.

#15 2-2-2017 9:25 PM

bitethelime
Brett
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Couch Potato

Current plans are for me to go from August 2017. I can send any and all relative info from now until I finish.

#16 2-2-2017 11:35 PM

Travelbuddys
Dennis and Jasmyn
Landgraaf, Netherlands
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

hmmm not gonna make it Canada on the wishlist in 2018! We did the TSRR in 2005, it's a great journey

D&J

#17 2-5-2017 5:21 PM

nolan
Explorer

nolan wrote:

googlybear wrote:

You have to get a Facebook friend who is part of this group to add you to it.

Looks like we have a good amount of interest already. I'll get down to creating the meetup ID soon.

OK here's the meetup ID link on TravBuddy:

http://www.travbuddy.com/meet-up/view.php?id=1602

Right now it's tentatively scheduled during Naadam festival in Ulan Baatar (July 11-15), but we will make adjustments as this is not your typical London city meetup or similar since we will need to travel and meet in the meetup city (Ulan Baatar, possibly Irkutsk and/or Ulan Ude).

#18 2-6-2017 2:52 PM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Sounds great ☺ If I join this trip I probably jump of in Omsk and  travel to some of the Stans. Anybody else interested in that?

#19 2-6-2017 9:18 PM

nolan
Explorer

margunn wrote:

Sounds great ☺ If I join this trip I probably jump of in Omsk and  travel to some of the Stans. Anybody else interested in that?

Yes I am interested in the Stans. I've been discussing this with Brian S. since he had planned a trip there as early as a year ago.

I assume you're going westward then, probably fly out to Ulan Baatar then Irkutsk, Novosibirsk and finally Omsk before going south.

#20 2-6-2017 11:08 PM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

nolan wrote:

margunn wrote:

Yes I am interested in the Stans. I've been discussing this with Brian S. since he had planned a trip there as early as a year ago.

I assume you're going westward then, probably fly out to Ulan Baatar then Irkutsk, Novosibirsk and finally Omsk before going south.

It depends what way you all decide to go . At the moment it's only a thought

#21 3-14-2017 8:48 PM

angeline_elin
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

Trans-Siberian wow!  am interested in travelling my dream and would prefer a compatible travel friend who is also has same travel interests   .. any member from western Canada?

#22 3-16-2017 5:33 AM

nolan
Explorer

angeline_elin wrote:

Trans-Siberian wow!  am interested in travelling my dream and would prefer a compatible travel friend who is also has same travel interests   .. any member from western Canada?

Hali (halilee) is from Regina, but that's central Canada. She's done part of the trans-Siberian last year so not sure if she's up for this one less than 2 years after her trip.

Just wait and see who gets to sign up within the six months before the actual trip, right now, there is some interest but surely it will go up when 2018 is around the corner.

#23 3-19-2017 10:46 PM

nolan
Explorer

OK I have created a meetup planning tool for this trans-Siberian trip using Travefy. For those of you who have emails, you can PM them to me so I can send invites.

Better yet, follow this link and sign up on Travefy (it's free) so we can PLAN this TOGETHER.

https://travefy.com/trips/788754/join/d … 3c39893350

#24 3-20-2017 4:01 AM

nolan
Explorer

Here's a virtual tour of the new trains on the Russian Railways website:

http://www.eng.rzd.ru/vtour/index.html

Note: view it on your PC and not your smartphone as it takes a while to load modules

#25 3-28-2017 3:52 PM

Havebagwilltravel
Tasha
Los Angeles, California
Couch Potato

Definitely interested in this one (especially since I missed the last one).

2018 should give me enough time to plan my time off  and save up.   
Direction wise I don't really have preferences. I know I would like to see parts of Russia and Mongolia on this trip. I'm sure I can take about 3 weeks off from work. Hoping to fit in as much as possible in those 3 weeks

Board footer