#1 11-19-2016 9:51 AM

Sonnald
United Kingdom
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

One pair of (men's) shoes to rule them all!

Hi everyone!

So I'm off to New Zealand in December and very much looking forward to it! I'm taking my carry on bag which is fine until I get to the shoes part. You see I'm determined to only take two pairs of shoes with me. One pair are flip flops so that's done, but I'm having difficulty choosing the other pair. I'm basically looking for an all-in-one men's travel shoe. A closed shoe that I can wear hiking, but something that also looks good enough to wear in the evening. Preferably something brown as well as it's a good all round colour. I've seen some recommendations on some sites claiming that certain walking shoes fit the bill, but as it stands, the ones I've seen really aren't too easy on the eye! At the moment I'm veering towards an Orson Harbour Boat Shoe from Clarks. I have a pair at the moment and they are great, but I'm wondering if they will cope with the hiking. I feel this may be a question that has been asked by carry on packers everywhere, but I'm really determined to come up with a solution. Any help and recommendations from anyone would be very much appreciated smile Thanks a bunch!

#2 11-20-2016 5:40 AM

EEEhehehe
AljaĆŸ
Vipolze, Slovenia
Sightseer
Posts: 71

Re: One pair of (men's) shoes to rule them all!

I guess we are all facing the same problem smile I never carry more than 1 pair (+ flip flops if its a summer destination). Lots of people carry 2 pairs, for me that would be annoying.

i recently bought these shoes : https://www.mammut.ch/INT/en/B2C-Katego … 02030-0379

They look even better and more discerete in real life, so they are totally cool to go out in evening smile

By checking what shoes you are looking for, i guess the kind i have won`t work for you.

But if you want to hike hard and properly, then gore-tex and endurance should be important. Im very satisfied with mine, though i never go to fancy places. If you just need it for going out to a bar or casual restaurant or club then it should be fine, of course in some fancy places they wont let you in in shoes like this.

Last edited by EEEhehehe (11-20-2016 5:45 AM)

#3 11-20-2016 4:43 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 2030

Re: One pair of (men's) shoes to rule them all!

you will have to go for low ankle hiking shoes. try and find a pair that looks slightly dressy so you can get into clubs.

Normal sneakers are no good for the hills as they don't have the grip you need.
Personally I always takes flip flops or sandals,  nice trainers for everyday and going out and a pair of hiking boots.

#4 11-21-2016 1:22 AM

nolan
Posts: 3784

Sonnald wrote:

Hi everyone!

You can choose among these brands - Rockport, Dexter, Dunham, Clarks, etc. There are other brands as well that are more expensive.

This is one shoe I particularly like, although it seems to be a bit stiff so I need a longer break-in period. GoreTex (so it's waterproof), low cut with a sole that isn't too rugged like a hiking boot. Only issue I have is the laces tend to unravel quite faster than usual. I have this one in black, the brown is quite nicely colored.

There are many more similar shoes but hiking shoes that are made of leather with not too many bells and whistles should be fine.

#5 11-21-2016 1:25 AM

nolan
Posts: 3784

Re: One pair of (men's) shoes to rule them all!

Try searching as well for outdoor shoes on Amazon, and check out Merrell and Timberland brands (although they don't look as suited for evening wear with the flashy colors of the soles of some of their shoe models).

#6 11-22-2016 1:12 PM

Sonnald
United Kingdom
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Re: One pair of (men's) shoes to rule them all!

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone smile Any other suggestions would also be welcomed

#7 11-22-2016 4:15 PM

jeffy
Los Angeles, California
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 660

Re: One pair of (men's) shoes to rule them all!

If you're willing to wear something actually appropriate for the evening and sacrifice comfort and possibly safety for hiking (depending on what degree of hiking you do), I'd go with a Clarks Desert Boot. They're classics and every guy should already own a pair as part of their wardrobe. They're the most versatile shoes I've ever owned.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer