#51 6-8-2017 7:08 AM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 368

Preach!

grandmar wrote:

CMTinPHX wrote:

We now have two identical live threads on the same topic, both of which are little more than imitations of "Family Feud" -- "Name a place in the United States where tourists visit..."

So what?  If you don't want to play, then go to read other threads.

#52 6-11-2017 2:26 AM

Posts: 360

New Orleans (at least before the desaster), New York, Chickago

#54 6-11-2017 5:57 AM

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

NOLA has added about 700 restaurants since katrina so it is better than ever and thriving.

#55 6-11-2017 6:31 AM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 42

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Baltimore - for the friendships I have there (although, technically, Parkville).

Las Vegas - because we don't have craps in the UK.

But I have SO much more of the USA to see - I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Memphis and Nashville during a road trip planned for next April.

#56 6-11-2017 2:50 PM

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

sounds like you like music...the delta is a no miss place   http://mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/ar … ippi-blues

#57 6-11-2017 5:06 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 432

gillybob wrote:

Las Vegas - because we don't have craps in the UK.

I really like Memphis - we were stuck there with car trouble and had a really good time.  Not so much Nashville.  I wanted to take a city tour and they refused to consider that I might be held up by traffic (which was horrible) and said that if I made the reservation I would have to pay whether I got there or not and it couldn't be rescheduled.  And I'm not so fond of country music. We did go to the Hermitage a ways out of town and that was nice.  (Andrew Jackson's home - he was the 7th President)

I've never been to Vegas, but I went to school with a lot of folks that lived in Parkville.  I dated a boy from there.

Last edited by grandmar (6-11-2017 5:06 PM)

#58 6-11-2017 8:37 PM

Marina2710
Marina
Seattle, Washington
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 133

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Seattle, New Orleans, and Miami...but Portland,OR is fantastic too!

#59 6-13-2017 12:27 AM

robertt1
Posts: 3

Florida and Hawaii

#60 6-30-2017 6:08 PM

dannyrock4
Danny
Fort McMurray, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 315

Hawaii & Utah!! Love both of these places

#61 8-16-2017 11:54 AM

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

An afternoon in Manhattan was like an afternoon back at home.
This was a nice surprise for me. I never knew America had it in 'em until that day.
It's not like anybody told me about that either, but sure enough, I was there, and was both in America but feeling like I was in London/where I'm from.

The flipside to this was coming back home and realising London and New York City were identical and... London and England was like the difference between America and Manhattan.
I didn't even get that in Philadelphia (though nice/awesome/cool), London is a world city, New York City is a world city... Amsterdam even felt like London/New York City (just not as tall or busy) but it still had the same stuff, only instead of the London merchandise or the New York City merchandise, it was Amsterdam - a case of same product different label if I ever did see one.
Coming from London, I've walked around Manhattan and Amsterdam going 'well this is like London' and coming home to London from those trips, looking at London/Where I'm from, at the corners of streets I know like The Mall and Leicester Square, in England, in London, at home... Thinking 'Well it's like New York City, or; It's like Amsterdam'... Viewing globalisation as both home and an invading force.
But idk, I loved it.

The things I saw from home in New York City 'the little things' was cool.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-16-2017 12:22 PM)

#62 8-16-2017 12:13 PM

Philadelphia was awesome.
It's got...

Cheesesteaks (It's like a whole cow and its cheese too).
The Liberty Bell
The birth of the United States
South Street (lively bars and entertainment).
The art museum stairs.
Water Ice!

Other things to do in PA if you have wheels is to drive to the Poconos if you drive to Scranton, or out west into the state to Hershey where they had this really cool mountain lion at the zoo there and other American animals not seen at London Zoo (though London Zoo is Awesome)!
Hershey Park has Hershey chocolates and the lamp posts are shaped like Hershey's Kisses and they have a factory tour ride that educates you about chocolate and what they do and the history.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-16-2017 12:24 PM)

#63 8-16-2017 12:29 PM

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Of course, family and friends in America are found where they're found for me.

#64 8-17-2017 4:50 AM

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Boundary Waters Canoe Area/Voyageurs National Park...when I was young.

#65 8-23-2017 9:46 PM

Travelnik
Posts: 8

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Having travelled the entire US, each state is unique and good to visit.

#66 8-24-2017 11:14 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 43

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

For cities, it has to be NYC top of the list for me, though I also loved San Francisco

Away from the cities, it's all points west - I love the desert states and their National Parks (Arches, Canyonlands etc), the Rockies and all the West coast. Perhaps my favourite state (so far) though was New Mexico. It has it all - great scenery, interesting cultures, history (Native and Wild West), a thriving art scene in Taos and Santa Fe, quirky stuff like Roswell's obsession with aliens ...

#67 8-24-2017 9:25 PM

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

I haven't been since 2004. I found out yesterday at the travel agents in town that I'd need to buy an ESTA for $14 before I travel now.
I'm confused... Do I get the code they give me and fill out another form for CBP? For leisure and tourism.
I was there looking into what they could do for this trip I want to Oregon near Eugene in Springfield and Waukesha which is close to Milwaukee which is on lake Michigan in Wisconsin (so, that side)... Milwaukee is on this inland sea/great lake's coast in Wisconsin and Waukesha is inland about 30 minutes/21 miles...

I'm excited about my trip because, I grew up with a lot of American TV shows filmed in Canada and we don't get such infrastructure and those vehicles everywhere where I'm from because I'm from London in the UK, not to mention the US and is home to American brands and chain restaurants and cable TV. London's cool and all and I love it and everything, but, I am excited about my trip I'm planning to 'America'.

I've already got 1 day in Portland planned, IDK if I'd have enough time in Wisconsin to plan a day in Milwaukee.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-24-2017 9:40 PM)

#68 8-24-2017 9:42 PM

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

I'm going to Nike, I've been to Dupont, I've certainly been to Hershey, took the tour ride and everything, that day was fun. I like Pennsylvania a lot but yearn to see more of the country too.

#69 8-25-2017 3:48 AM

#70 8-25-2017 11:40 AM

katzgar wrote:

The Harley-Davidson Museum is in Milwaukee

That's a good idea, I imagine this is good for gifts and post cards.
Where do I get one of those iconic Wisconsin cheese hats?

#71 8-25-2017 6:05 PM

ahouseofsparrows
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 7

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Its so hard to choose! I'm lucky to have such a beautiful and diverse country to call home. My favorite cities/sites are: Austin, TX for its great food and culture, the Grand Canyon for obvious reasons, San Francisco for the architecture and food, and the Colorado's rockies for the skiing.

#72 8-25-2017 6:06 PM

ahouseofsparrows
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 7

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

I second that! Arizona is such a beautiful and diverse state. There is so much to see!

nolan wrote:

In addition, I'd like to recommend Arizona (Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, etc.) except for those three months of the year where they turn into a furnace tongue

#73 8-26-2017 1:38 AM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3768

ahouseofsparrows wrote:

Hoping to visit your great state of Texas again later this year. There are quite a number of TravBuddies there so might be a good time to try for a meetup.

#74 9-6-2017 11:59 PM

Florida

#75 9-9-2017 7:45 AM

katzgar wrote:

The Harley-Davidson Museum is in Milwaukee

That's a good idea, I imagine this is good for gifts and post cards.
Where do I get one of those iconic Wisconsin cheese hats?

http://www.packersproshop.com/original- … WkQAvD_BwE