#1 11-17-2016 6:12 PM

ItsJustMike
Posts: 3

What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

New York or Los Angeles for me. cliche I know. I feel LA has an unwarranted bad reputation. I often hear people saying San Diego is nicer and more pleasant. Couldn't disagree more. San Diego is a beautiful city, and I have family there, but there's SO much more to do in LA. not even comparable imo.

#2 11-17-2016 7:07 PM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 65

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

I love Atlanta (Braves fan) there is a lot to do there. Or Asheville I love being in the mountains.

#3 11-18-2016 8:48 AM

traveldoc1984
Calvin
Johnson City, Tennessee
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 118

stefaniegreen wrote:

Asheville has quite the assortment of fine restaurants too! I actually considered moving there for work, but the real estate there is out of control! I also like the quaintness of Weaverville as well.

#4 11-18-2016 12:46 PM

jrhfromspfld
Jeff
Posts: 59

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

My favorite destinations are far from the big cities.

Glacier National Park, northern Maine, New Mexico, Alaska and the Lake Superior shoreline.

Last edited by jrhfromspfld (11-18-2016 12:46 PM)

#5 11-18-2016 1:43 PM

Cho
Cho
Orlando, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 667

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

I am fortunate to have traveled the length and breadth of the United States.  It is such a vast land and each state has its own natural beauty and charm.  However, Georgia is fast becoming my favorite state.  It has everything; big cities, small towns, beaches, mountains, forests, etc.  Cost of living in Georgia is comparatively low too, e.g. gas (petrol) prices are one of the lowest in the country.

#6 11-19-2016 3:19 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 631

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Boston - clothes and footwear are tax-free up to $175/item.

Hope to get the chance to visit tax free state(s) on my next visit to USA>

#7 11-19-2016 6:03 AM

#8 11-19-2016 7:34 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 9800

San Antonio

#9 11-19-2016 7:42 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 284

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Boundary Waters Canoe Area,  Voyageurs National Park.. I lived in Seattle for 30 years and it has to have a glacier on it to be a mountain.

#10 11-19-2016 8:52 AM

tlenot
Tony
Denver, Colorado
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 60

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

NYC, just so much to do there.  I was only there for 4 nights.  I've been to Chicago and San Francisco too.  Been a while since I've been to Los Angeles.  With New York City, you don't need a car and can just take the sub.

Just putting this out there, if you visit Colorado, check out Hanging Lake.  A three hour drive west of Denver but probably one of the most beautiful place in the USA!

#11 11-21-2016 2:02 AM

nolan
Posts: 3768

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Hawaii - spent a couple of years living in Honolulu when I was too young to remember. Now I need to return since the last time I was there in recent memory wasn't enough to trace all the places I went to during my childhood days.

#12 11-22-2016 11:22 AM

jeffy
Los Angeles, California
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 660

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

San Francisco. If I had the time, I'd visit at least once a year.

#13 11-26-2016 2:54 AM

TravelingChris
Chris
Pemberton, New Jersey
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 111

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

I've been to 42 out of 50 US states and I have to say the Hawaii is the most beautiful by far. Florida is also very nice, but of course it depends what you're looking for. The aforementioned are great for nice weather and beaches, but the US has a lot more to offer. This time of year in particular around the holidays, I miss the cool mountain air of Pennsylvania, the smell of burning wood, the falling leaves... you can't get that in Hawaii (or a good cheesesteak!).

#14 11-26-2016 10:47 AM

traveldoc1984
Calvin
Johnson City, Tennessee
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 118

jeffy wrote:

San Francisco. If I had the time, I'd visit at least once a year.

Never been. I'm adding this to my dream destination list.

#15 11-26-2016 6:37 PM

cotton_foam
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 5167

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

The Southwest through and through!!!

#16 11-28-2016 5:53 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1646

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

San Francisco is a great place for a tourist as is NYC! I know NYC better because its close and I have lived/worked there. Georgia does have a lot to do as far as locations like the shore/mountains/islands/cities like Atlanta and Savannah. Atlanta is kinda boring to me compared to NYC. I lived there for 8.5 years including recently for 3.5. Boring as far as tourist excitement. You do need a car there to do it all. It has the usual stuff...Aquarium/High Museum of Art/decent restaurants/bar areas in different parts of town/clubs..but most cities have similar. Not an international people meeting place like NYC or SF or L.A. Doesn't have the uniqueness of New Orleans. Just a plain, nice city.

Fay , funny you say that. I was raised in tax free Delaware. I still shop in other places that are not tax free sometimes. It is not that big of a deal really. We get bored and go elsewhere for selection sometimes while hoards of folks come to my local mall from the local 3 other states.

#17 11-29-2016 1:18 AM

tj1777
Mickey
Amager, Denmark
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 567

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

If only allowed to pick one spot it will be Yellowstone for sure.

For an area it would be the south west outside the cities.

#18 11-29-2016 3:00 AM

Jhon_Carter
Posts: 14

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Grand Canyon is one of the best places to visit in the USA. It is not the deepest or the longest canyon in the world but the overwhelming size and colorful landscape offers visitor vistas that are hard too much.

#19 11-29-2016 5:00 PM

cynthiasmiller
Cindy
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 147

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Pretty much anywhere from the Rockies on west.  Some personal favorites in no particular order: Seattle, Portland, Sequoia National Park, Redwood National Park, Monterey, San Francisco, Arcata, Yosemite, Santa Fe, Denver, Northern Idaho... you almost can't go wrong.

#20 11-30-2016 12:52 AM

Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 5949

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Of the places I've been, Chicago.  I don't think I've ever been to a major city with so many friendly people, the weather was great, the museums were great and the architecture was fascinating.

But I know that the USA's main strengths as a destination are its natural resources and I haven't had a chance to go properly exploring yet - ask me again in a decade or so!

#23 12-2-2016 10:52 PM

Sept922
Posts: 1646

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

Nah Sarah...the cities...I have no desire to see Yellowstone haha!

#24 12-4-2016 6:24 PM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 368

Charleston, SC, Memphis, TN, and San Diego,CA

#25 12-5-2016 12:28 AM

nolan
Posts: 3768

Re: What's your favorite travel destination in the US?

In addition, I'd like to recommend Arizona (Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, etc.) except for those three months of the year where they turn into a furnace tongue

Board footer