#1 11-17-2016 1:07 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Coming soon: Questionnaire to enter Shengen

Will travelers who don't need a visum for Shengen soon have to fill in a questionnaire before entering the Schengen zone?
That is the proposal of the EU Commissioners Frans Timmermans and Dimitris Avramopoulos in the fight against terrorism, smuggling and illegal migration

News item (in dutch)
http://static.nieuws.vtm.be/buitenland/ … binnen-wil

#2 11-17-2016 1:20 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Coming soon: Questionnaire to enter Shengen

Not just a questionnaire but a fee. Similar to US ESTA. Canada has recently introduced a similar scheme.

Still only at proposal stage in Europe.  Presumably will not apply to countries such as Ireland which are in EU but not in Schengen.  It could apply to UK though if and when it leaves the EU.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global … as-scheme/

#3 11-17-2016 1:32 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

It doesn't bother me and it doesn't add a lot to the cost of a trip- at least not compared with ripping up 60 years of trade agreements and goodwill. So I am not at all bothered by this.

But I am puzzled how it prevents terrorism. Years ago, the US landing card had a specific question on it "are you entering the USA for terrorist purposes". Perhaps some very principalled or very stupid terrorists said yes? But I'd imagine mostly it would be a case of adding a few months for lying onto the multiple life sentences for terrorism. Anyway, the question wasn't on the form when I went in 2010 so maybe they'd found a more reliable way of telling.

Last edited by sarahelaine (11-17-2016 1:32 AM)

#4 11-17-2016 5:51 AM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Are you bringing any illegal narcotics? 

Is cocaine a narcotic.... oh shit!

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer