#1 11-16-2016 7:26 PM

Kadrian
Kevin
Denver, Colorado
Couch Potato

Trekking India Himalaya

I am planning a trekking trip to the Western Himalaya but the trip must occur next April 2017. Probably a bit early but such is life. I am tentatively considering the Source of the Ganges and Kuari Pass treks in the Garhwal Himalaya. I am open to to just about any week to two week treks in Himachal Pradesh and/or Uttarakhand regions. Any recommendations or travel experience to this area?

#2 11-19-2016 3:27 AM

mytravelcon
India
Couch Potato

Re: Trekking India Himalaya

This has to be our all time favorite trek in the Himalayas. Great views of Everest, a good trail, wonderful tea houses to stay in and almost continuous views of some of the tallest peaks in the world will keep your attention during what is typically an 11 day trek.

#3 11-19-2016 4:59 AM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

i used this info when i trekked in the himalayas. sadly its in german sad but you can see how the landscape and the peaks look like. btw i think you can change the website settings in english if you use firefox, sometimes i do that when surfing russian / greek sites.

http://www.himalaya-info.org/Map%20garhwal_ost.htm - garhwal east

http://www.himalaya-info.org/Map%20garhwal_west.htm - garhwal west

#4 11-23-2016 7:02 AM

Kadrian
Kevin
Denver, Colorado
Couch Potato

Thanks for the information. anybody been to Rishikesh or Shimla? these are the jumping off points to begin treks in the Indian Garwhal Himalaya.

#5 12-19-2016 11:23 PM

ankitksinghh
Couch Potato

Hi
Being located in foothills of Himalaya many people like to explore various trekking routes. You can enjoy lots of treks near rishikesh. Jhilmil Gufa is a small  trek near the Nilkanth Mahadev Temple.

#6 12-20-2016 5:39 AM

Kadrian
Kevin
Denver, Colorado
Couch Potato

Thank you for the information. I'll look into that trekking route.

#7 1-3-2017 2:40 AM

ahana2607
New Delhi, India
Couch Potato

Here is the list of best places for Himalayas Trekking
1. Chadar Trek
2. Roopkund Trek
3. Hampta Pass
4. Har ki Dun Trek
5. Kedar Kantha Trek
6. Kuari Pass Trek
7. Goecha-la Trek
8. Nagtibba Trek
9. Annapurna Base Camp
10. Banderpunch
11. Bara Bhangal Trek
12. Chopta Chandrashila
13. Chopta Tunganath
14. Brahma Taal
15. Dayara Bugyal
16. Deotibba Hampta Pass
17. Dodital Lake Trek
18. Dzongri Goecha La
19. Everest Base Camp
20. Gangotri Tapovan

#8 1-11-2017 3:13 AM

Jhon_Carter
Couch Potato

Few tips before get start trekking:-

Physical condition: - It demands degree of physical fitness. Physical cardiovascular system with aerobic exercise.
Mental Condition: - Mental preparation is more complex than physical condoning.
Camping and cooking equipments: - This depends on the style of trekking, but if you are totally equipping yourself then you could consider the following:
Study rain-proof tent.
Sleeping bag with liner and foam mattress.
Backpack, day pack and probably a duffel bag to keep in storage in hotels while on trek.
Altitude Sickness, and The Trekker Medical Kit

#9 3-2-2017 2:39 AM

dchinmay
Chinmay
Mumbai, India
Couch Potato

Very nice to hear that you are taking up this trek. All the best for your trekking.

Rightly mentioned by ankitksinghh, you will find many routes and trek options. You can look forward to Kunjapuri Trekking in Rishikesh and Neelkanth Mahadev Temple Trekking in Rishikesh. They are worth an experience.

@ahana2607 you have got a great collection of treks, they are just awesome, even I might consider taking up trekking sometime this year.

#10 3-2-2017 8:37 PM

avionbell
Couch Potato

Thanks a lots to provide a crucial information .

#11 3-3-2017 11:08 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Kadrian wrote:

Thanks for the information. anybody been to Rishikesh or Shimla? these are the jumping off points to begin treks in the Indian Garwhal Himalaya.

Rishikesh and Shimla are both very interesting places to visit - apart from the trek angle. Rishikesh is said to be the yoga capital of the world, with almost every third or fourth place a yoga centre of sorts - but it's also a great place to relax and contemplate, especially a bit higher up on the hills, with a view to the Ganges, and a great place for rafting too. Shimla is the quintessential colonial relic in Northern India, though a bit crowded these days, and a nice town to base oneself in for exploring the region.

Last edited by Apurva_N (3-3-2017 11:09 AM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer