#1 10-3-2016 5:14 AM

carryonwandering
Anna
Couch Potato

Skipping flights in Dubai

Hi Everyone,

I have an existing ticket from Lisbon to Perth with a stopover in Dubai. I now want to go to Bangkok but can't change my ticket. If I buy a one way Dubai - Bangkok flight and forfeit the Dubai-Perth leg of my trip does anyone know what happens in Dubai? Do I have to exit through Immigration and Customs and re-enter the airport or can I book onto a flight inside the terminal? It will be with a different airline so I want to confirm the process.

I will have carry on luggage only so not worried about checking bags.

Hoping someone can help and thanks in advance.

#2 10-3-2016 6:46 PM

Lupobianco
Andy
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Skipping flights in Dubai

Airlines do not like you doing this and many have terms in their conditions of carriage that say you are not allowed to take only part of your journey.     This sounds crazy, but it is a Thing, especially in the US - check out "hidden city" fares threads on flier talk!

That said, people do skip sectors.   Airlines can (in theory) charge relevant fare differences and change fees and will cancel FF accounts for repeat offenders.     

If you do decide to do this, you MAY be able to get the boarding pass at the air side transfer desk - check with the carrier that they have transfer agents air side.    If the carrier does not have agents at the air side transfer, then you will have to go through immigration.   DXB has 3 terminals and you may need to move from one to another.  Allow plenty of time (3 hours or so) because there can be queues at the transfer.    Have a copy of your onward itinerary, in case you get asked at immigration.

There may be a better solution though:   Even if you cannot change the fare from PER to BKK, ask EK if you can cancel the whole fare for credit and then re-book LIS/BKK on EK using the credit.      You will lose about $200 cancel fee on this option, but it is probably cheaper than booking a whole DXB/BKK sector.    This is only possible if you have booked with EK direct.   If you have used an agent or online site, you will need to work with them.  In practice, most online sites and many agents are pretty useless with these sort of requests.

Last edited by Lupobianco (10-3-2016 6:48 PM)

#3 10-4-2016 3:20 AM

carryonwandering
Anna
Couch Potato

Re: Skipping flights in Dubai

Thanks Andy, you're a legend for the detailed response.

Lupobianco wrote:

Airlines do not like you doing this and many have terms in their conditions of carriage that say you are not allowed to take only part of your journey.     This sounds crazy, but it is a Thing, especially in the US - check out "hidden city" fares threads on flier talk!

That said, people do skip sectors.   Airlines can (in theory) charge relevant fare differences and change fees and will cancel FF accounts for repeat offenders.     

If you do decide to do this, you MAY be able to get the boarding pass at the air side transfer desk - check with the carrier that they have transfer agents air side.    If the carrier does not have agents at the air side transfer, then you will have to go through immigration.   DXB has 3 terminals and you may need to move from one to another.  Allow plenty of time (3 hours or so) because there can be queues at the transfer.    Have a copy of your onward itinerary, in case you get asked at immigration.

There may be a better solution though:   Even if you cannot change the fare from PER to BKK, ask EK if you can cancel the whole fare for credit and then re-book LIS/BKK on EK using the credit.      You will lose about $200 cancel fee on this option, but it is probably cheaper than booking a whole DXB/BKK sector.    This is only possible if you have booked with EK direct.   If you have used an agent or online site, you will need to work with them.  In practice, most online sites and many agents are pretty useless with these sort of requests.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer