#1 9-30-2016 6:12 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

UAE Recommendations and help

Hello all

So my trip to UAE is booked and confirmed for January 2017. I will spend the first 4 nights in Abu Dhabi after which I will spend 5 nights in Dubai.

Can anyone recommend any MUST SEEs and MUST DOs in those two cities? In Abu Dhabi Ferrari World and Yas Island seem like fun, anyone been there? Where would cheapest place to purchase tickets be?

In Dubai im quite interested in doing a desert safari. I also see there are a few water parks, anyone can recommend any particular one? Costs of any of these?

How is the weather in January? I know it is their "winter", is it worth packing long trousers?

Anything I would not be allowed to pack in my luggage such as alcohol, food etc? Or any restrictions I should know about?

Any recommendations and advise would be appreciated smile

#2 9-30-2016 7:15 AM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: UAE Recommendations and help

For alchohol I know people bring in duty free booze all the time so I don't think they care that much.  Make sure you do not take alcohol into Sharjah where it is strongly discouraged.  Also for hookers and stuff, there are plenty of them at the clubs, but you better save up. 

In Abu Dhabi there is a cool restaurant I used to go to all the time called "Lebanese Flower", giant outdoor area where you can get great food and smoke the Shisha.  Also probably the only place where locals might actually interact with a foreigner.  There is also a fun bar called PJ O'Rielly's at the Meridian Hotel.  Of course I haven't been to any of these places in about 5 years. 

If you want to get out of town I suggest heading to Al Ain, it is the complete opposite of Dubai, and maybe 2 hours away by car so you would not need to spend the night to see the sites.  Its a very peaceful place and some interesting old stuff. 

You'll need trousers to get into a lot of classy establishment, although you can buy them their at the many shopping malls.  good luck

#3 9-30-2016 8:23 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I was in Abu Dhabi for fours days in January 2015. Weather was gorgeous. Low twenties and sunny.

The Corniche is very nice. The Sheikh Zayed Mosque is amazing -  a must see.

Taxis are very cheap.

Plenty of restaurants with cheap local food.

#4 10-1-2016 4:42 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

The authorities in the UAE certainly do care about alcohol that is imported into the Emirates and stiff penalties can be had for those flouting the rules.
http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/english/a … stoms.aspx
As Francis mentioned the corniche and the Shk Zayed Mosque are worth a look. Yas Island out opposite the airport is where most of the tourist activities are. Ferrari World and the Waterworld aqua park. The F1 circuit also does a guided tour and you can drive some great cars around the circuit.
https://yasisland.ae
Al Ain is worth a day trip out from Abu Dhabi. On the edge of the empty quarter it is an oasis town and part of Abu Dhabi Emirate.
http://visitabudhabi.ae/en/tag/al.ain.aspx
January is generally a pretty good time to visit but it can be foggy in the mornings. It gets cooler at night,especially in the desert so some warm clothing is required. As mentioned some of the bars and restaurants will require long trousers.
Lots of tour companies to do desert safaris and other day trips.Two I have used are:
https://www.orient-tours-uae.com
https://www.lamadubai.com/home/Dubai_tour
Dubai has lots of glitz and glamour but for me the old city down by the Creekside is the real Dubai. Al Fahidid Fort is the oldest building in Dubai,dating from 1799. It now houses the museum and the surrounding areas are well worth exploring. A ride across the Creek on an Abra,water taxi is also a must.
http://www.visitdubai.com/en/articles/dubai-old-town
A visit to the worlds tallest building, the Burj Khalifa is the other end of the spectrum. Book online at:
https://tickets.atthetop.ae/atthetop/St … gInfo.aspx
There is an open top big bus tour in Dubai and Abu Dhabi which will transport you to all the major tourist sites and is a good option.
http://eng.bigbustours.com/dubai/home.h … Gwoda0MK5A

#5 10-2-2016 1:19 AM

petersindac
Peter
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

Try groupon.ae, I used it few times.
Both Abu Dhabi and Dubai has Big Bus tour.
Abu Dhabi
-Ferrari World
-Grand Mosque
-AD Corniche
-the souq
-Emirates Palace, tell them you are going to the restaurant, it's up to you if you want to order. Prices are extreme. Better to see at night.

Al Ain is another emirates but worth to visit. Closer if you are coming from Abu Dhabi than Dubai. It is a Unesco Heritage.

Dubai
-Desert Safari as you mentioned
-Burj Khalifa
-the dancing fountain. Show starts from 6 pm every after 30 mins I guess
-Atlantis. Its a water park.
-Dubai Mall
-the old souq
-Dubai Museum
-Dubai Marina
-Musadam Cruise- I am yet to do this.
I took abra to cross the creek, its fun. only for 2 AED I guess.
Me and my friend rented a car when we visited.
There is no restriction for food to carry but for alcohol, I think you can bring as long as it is not so much to the point that it looked like you are selling them. Just keep the receipt with you.
Also, when you go to bars keep the receipt with you when you leave. That's how they advised me there but I never experienced being checked by the authorities.

January is a good weather, a bit chilly (at least for me, hahaha).
Both are nice cities, surely you will have fun.
Enjoy!
Peter

#6 10-3-2016 12:40 AM

nyk_flashpacker
nyk
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Hi

Better to buy the tickets for yas and Ferrari world on their web-sites , unless you have booked local tours which include all of that..
Shiekh Zayed mosque in Abu Dhabi
Corniche
Marina mall and tower views
Emirates palace hotel
Souq (Arabic for shopping center/malls): there are gold souqs, etc.

Dubai
Mall of emirates-ski Dubai
Dubai mall -fountain ,etc
burj khalifa tallest tower- book early only as its cheaper to do so online than to buy that in person and also the tickets are limited based on the times.. check weather as visibility during dec, jan, feb could be issue
Jumeirah beach
Outdoor activities such as desert safari, etc
Souqs,
boat- dow cruises ,etc.

plenty more to do depending on your interests
some very good pubs, restaurants, etc
Also usually Dec- Jan there is the Dubai shopping festival (check online), there are many shopping deals if that interests you...

For alcohol, like someone mentioned above (beware of local requirements), you can buy from duty free (check for the limits, usually higher than other countries)
Also in Abu dhabi you can buy liquor in some quantity at local store (unlike Dubai where you need license and its different in other states in UAE)
In licensed restaurants/ pubs you can drink (just beware of local laws: always good to know)

Weather in general is very good during that time.. 20s, but if you visit dessert during the nights for safari could be colder 0-5'C

Cheers !

#7 10-3-2016 3:10 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

osgoodst wrote:

For alchohol I know people bring in duty free booze all the time so I don't think they care that much.  Make sure you do not take alcohol into Sharjah where it is strongly discouraged.  Also for hookers and stuff, there are plenty of them at the clubs, but you better save up. 

In Abu Dhabi there is a cool restaurant I used to go to all the time called "Lebanese Flower", giant outdoor area where you can get great food and smoke the Shisha.  Also probably the only place where locals might actually interact with a foreigner.  There is also a fun bar called PJ O'Rielly's at the Meridian Hotel.  Of course I haven't been to any of these places in about 5 years. 

If you want to get out of town I suggest heading to Al Ain, it is the complete opposite of Dubai, and maybe 2 hours away by car so you would not need to spend the night to see the sites.  Its a very peaceful place and some interesting old stuff. 

You'll need trousers to get into a lot of classy establishment, although you can buy them their at the many shopping malls.  good luck

Great, thanks for the info.
I will check and find out if that restaurant still operates.

#8 10-3-2016 3:11 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Wanderer

fransglobal wrote:

I was in Abu Dhabi for fours days in January 2015. Weather was gorgeous. Low twenties and sunny.

The Corniche is very nice. The Sheikh Zayed Mosque is amazing -  a must see.

Taxis are very cheap.

Plenty of restaurants with cheap local food.

Awesome!
I will put those two on my bucket list big_smile

#9 10-3-2016 3:18 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Wanderer

pilgrim68 wrote:

The authorities in the UAE certainly do care about alcohol that is imported into the Emirates and stiff penalties can be had for those flouting the rules.
http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/english/a … stoms.aspx
As Francis mentioned the corniche and the Shk Zayed Mosque are worth a look. Yas Island out opposite the airport is where most of the tourist activities are. Ferrari World and the Waterworld aqua park. The F1 circuit also does a guided tour and you can drive some great cars around the circuit.
https://yasisland.ae
Al Ain is worth a day trip out from Abu Dhabi. On the edge of the empty quarter it is an oasis town and part of Abu Dhabi Emirate.
http://visitabudhabi.ae/en/tag/al.ain.aspx
January is generally a pretty good time to visit but it can be foggy in the mornings. It gets cooler at night,especially in the desert so some warm clothing is required. As mentioned some of the bars and restaurants will require long trousers.
Lots of tour companies to do desert safaris and other day trips.Two I have used are:
https://www.orient-tours-uae.com
https://www.lamadubai.com/home/Dubai_tour
Dubai has lots of glitz and glamour but for me the old city down by the Creekside is the real Dubai. Al Fahidid Fort is the oldest building in Dubai,dating from 1799. It now houses the museum and the surrounding areas are well worth exploring. A ride across the Creek on an Abra,water taxi is also a must.
http://www.visitdubai.com/en/articles/dubai-old-town
A visit to the worlds tallest building, the Burj Khalifa is the other end of the spectrum. Book online at:
https://tickets.atthetop.ae/atthetop/St … gInfo.aspx
There is an open top big bus tour in Dubai and Abu Dhabi which will transport you to all the major tourist sites and is a good option.
http://eng.bigbustours.com/dubai/home.h … Gwoda0MK5A

Thanks for the response.
Im definitely going to visit some of the places you mentioned.

#10 10-3-2016 3:20 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Wanderer

petersindac wrote:

Try groupon.ae, I used it few times.
Both Abu Dhabi and Dubai has Big Bus tour.
Abu Dhabi
-Ferrari World
-Grand Mosque
-AD Corniche
-the souq
-Emirates Palace, tell them you are going to the restaurant, it's up to you if you want to order. Prices are extreme. Better to see at night.

Al Ain is another emirates but worth to visit. Closer if you are coming from Abu Dhabi than Dubai. It is a Unesco Heritage.

Dubai
-Desert Safari as you mentioned
-Burj Khalifa
-the dancing fountain. Show starts from 6 pm every after 30 mins I guess
-Atlantis. Its a water park.
-Dubai Mall
-the old souq
-Dubai Museum
-Dubai Marina
-Musadam Cruise- I am yet to do this.
I took abra to cross the creek, its fun. only for 2 AED I guess.
Me and my friend rented a car when we visited.
There is no restriction for food to carry but for alcohol, I think you can bring as long as it is not so much to the point that it looked like you are selling them. Just keep the receipt with you.
Also, when you go to bars keep the receipt with you when you leave. That's how they advised me there but I never experienced being checked by the authorities.

January is a good weather, a bit chilly (at least for me, hahaha).
Both are nice cities, surely you will have fun.
Enjoy!
Peter

Thanks for the advice
Very helpful

#11 10-3-2016 3:22 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Wanderer

nyk_flashpacker wrote:

Hi

Better to buy the tickets for yas and Ferrari world on their web-sites , unless you have booked local tours which include all of that..
Shiekh Zayed mosque in Abu Dhabi
Corniche
Marina mall and tower views
Emirates palace hotel
Souq (Arabic for shopping center/malls): there are gold souqs, etc.

Dubai
Mall of emirates-ski Dubai
Dubai mall -fountain ,etc
burj khalifa tallest tower- book early only as its cheaper to do so online than to buy that in person and also the tickets are limited based on the times.. check weather as visibility during dec, jan, feb could be issue
Jumeirah beach
Outdoor activities such as desert safari, etc
Souqs,
boat- dow cruises ,etc.

plenty more to do depending on your interests
some very good pubs, restaurants, etc
Also usually Dec- Jan there is the Dubai shopping festival (check online), there are many shopping deals if that interests you...

For alcohol, like someone mentioned above (beware of local requirements), you can buy from duty free (check for the limits, usually higher than other countries)
Also in Abu dhabi you can buy liquor in some quantity at local store (unlike Dubai where you need license and its different in other states in UAE)
In licensed restaurants/ pubs you can drink (just beware of local laws: always good to know)

Weather in general is very good during that time.. 20s, but if you visit dessert during the nights for safari could be colder 0-5'C

Cheers !

Thank you for the advice.

#12 12-28-2016 8:56 PM

FatimaHussain
Fatima
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Couch Potato

Yes, there are so many things to do in these cities. For New year there are many celebrations package are given by many agencies. The previous year I had gone to UAE trip & that trip was memorable for me. We enjoyed the desert safari tour as well as the new year night with "tour-Dubai" a lot. Recently they updated that in this year packages they added some new features. You can check that, it may help you to memorable your trip.
Desert safari Package:
Safari with Land Cruiser: AED 495 Per Adult
Safari with Hummer H2: AED 960 Per Adult
50% for Children (Child Age between 4 to 11 Years)

#13 1-9-2017 10:41 AM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Couch Potato

I agree, the Jumeirah Mosque tour is very well worth doing.

Also, if you have the LP guide, there's a really nice Wind Tower Walk (self-guided walking tour) which I found really enjoyable.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer