#1 9-17-2016 2:58 AM

Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

Hi,

I'm planning to put together a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru and I'm trying to estimate the costs outside the flights.

Basically, I'm trying to estimate:
-accommodation (preferably cheap hotels as much under 40 EUR/night as possible, well situated/good lucation, no hostels!)
-buses, trains
-entry fees (Machu Picchu and museums)
-food costs
-...anything else?

-Lima: 4 or 6 days total
-Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes, immediate surroundings: 2 days total
-Arequipa: 2 days total
-Pisco and Nazca Lines: probably will do as a day trip from Lima
-not sure, but possible destination would be Lake Titicaca: 1-2 days total

Overall I plan to stay at least 21 days. But if things look brighter (funds and free time), then I would stay up to 30 days.

If anyone could help me estimate the costs - based on experiences in Peru, that would be great!
(otherwise, I could easily miscalculate based on my experiences in Europe and Asia... Peru is another thing)

Thank you warmly in advance for any help!

Last edited by Ranchero (9-20-2016 11:54 AM)

#2 9-19-2016 10:18 PM

nolan
Posts: 3785

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

Watching this thread as I am also interested in a similar itinerary to what you're planning to do.

I think there are a lot of TB friends here who've done or are planning Macchu Picchu and the rest of Peru - I personally know at least a dozen of them. Let's wait for them to chime in here.

Oh, when headed to Lake Titicaca, might as well see if you can head to La Paz and visit Jose (jendara).

#3 9-20-2016 12:14 AM

PrernaSh
Posts: 10

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

Well you have made a good plan.

#4 9-20-2016 10:32 AM

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

This 3 week trip will certainly cost more than 2,000 USD/EUR.

It's relatively easy to estimate flights+accommodation. But food prices, entry fees, tours, local transportation (e.g. local trains, buses, taxi) are almost a total mystery to me.

Accommodation seems to be very cheap with Airbnb: doable with <100 USD/5-6 days in Lima!

I would put my costs between 2,000-3,500 USD - I assume, it is doable with 2,000 at a very tight budget, but I want to avoid hostels. And, because I want to extensively travel around (Nazca Lines flight, tours in the Sacred Valley), I assume it can cost up to 3,500 USD.

It's still very complicate to estimate it well...

Last edited by Ranchero (9-20-2016 11:53 AM)

#5 10-9-2016 3:52 PM

getlostbefound
Rachel
New York, New York
Posts: 9

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

I think you are giving yourself too much time in Lima.  Most travelers advice against more than 2-3 days there.  There is a lot to see and do in the Nazca, Huacachina, Paracas area if you want to consider moving a couple of your Lima days to that region.

#6 10-9-2016 4:09 PM

Holeydel
Manchester, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 877

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

I don't know how helpful my post will be, but anyroad, Peru is pretty cheap. In 2014 I spent a month there and spent less than $2000. I was hostelling in private rooms, but also drinking loads and doing a shed load of tours and activities.

For hotels, I can't help you.

Busses are very cheap and regular for onwards travel.

Cusco and the Sacred Valled shouldn't be pricey as many of the sights there are free anyway - Pisac and that salt field for example, whatever the name is again. We spent $300 on a MP trek and tour but if you're not considering this so all you have to pay in an extortionate train fare and entry into MP, easily googled.

Visiting the Nasca lines and some open tombs nearby will cost you a cab ride. Helicopters I haven't a scoobies. The rest of Arequipa is all activites like white water rafting, mountain biking etc which of course ain't essential.

Huacachina  is good for dune bashing and sand boarding. Most people stay one, maybe two nights. If you're not into either of those activities then alls you're doing is staring at sand dunes, if that's your sort of thing.

Agreed with Getlosts post above, 4-6 days in Lima is quite a lot. Same with the Sared Valley. Options include north of Lima to Huaraz where there are a number of day treks up mountains and glaziers available - highly recommended.

I can't remember prices of many things, but I've loitered around a few countries and consider Peru one of the cheaper ones.

#7 10-9-2016 4:41 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 2030

Ranchero wrote:

-Lima: 4 or 6 days total
-Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes, immediate surroundings: 2 days total
-Arequipa: 2 days total
-Pisco and Nazca Lines: probably will do as a day trip from Lima
-not sure, but possible destination would be Lake Titicaca: 1-2 days total

Huacachina is worth a vist or a night just to go sand boarding. it's a short bus ride from Ica.
4 days in Lima is about right
the Inca Trail is 4-5 days if your planning on doing it. I would recommend starting in Lima and busing to Cuzco so your body is acclimatized by the time you get their.
you will want 3-4 days for Cuzco and surrounding areas if possible
you need to book the Inca Trail in advance and be there two days before departure.
prices will vary from 400USD to 700USD so look around and read reviews. I went with Peru Treks.
I haven't been to Arequipa so can't comment.
Aguas Calientes you stop in on the way back from the Inca trail
Nazca is a long way from Lima, It's on the bus route from Lima to Ica to Cuzco. Spend 1 night there, their is not a lot to do and the Nazca lines are over rated but if you have the spare cash. It's $100 for about 15 mins in the air.

For accommodation check out the following websites:
hostelworld.com
hostelbookers.com
hostels.com
booking.com

Use the Cruz Del Sur buses to get between cities.

#8 11-2-2016 4:49 PM

SuperGirl23
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 120

This is my take, based on my travels there in 2011. This is in USD at that time

-accommodation: I stayed at hostels and small hotels, they would cost me between 5 and 20 USD per night. Don't dismiss hostels entirely, I found many hostels offered private rooms for less than 20$, especially in low season.
-buses: This depends on your comfort level and safety, you can take some 'second class' (aka with the locals) buses for 5 to 10$ that go just about anywhere, I'm talking up to 18 hours, overnight. They are ok, but basic and have a bad reputation for accidents. Or you can take luxury first class buses, mostly taken by tourists, to the same destinations from about 30 - 60$, but they are much more comfortable, usually have wifi, snacks, meals, blankets included, and they hire better drivers who drive in short shifts which results in fewer accidents.
-costs of tours (would include flight above the Nazca Lines, 2-3 smaller Sacred Valley tours): if you speak spanish and negotiate in spanish you can pay half or less than what everyone else is paying. ask around for advice. The cost of tours is going to vary depending on the activity, obviously, but overall they are very inexpensive, except for the Inca trail. The Inca trail is different because the number of people and outfitters is limited by the number of permits. But there are 'alternatives' that are much cheaper.
-entry fees (Machu Picchu and museums): Machu Picchu is the most expensive 'entrance fee' you'll find, but it's still cheap! Your looking at a few dollars for most things.
-food costs: local restaurants offer a 'meal of the day' that includes a soup, main dish, and tea for 3 to 4 dollars. But you could get a fancy meal at a 'tourist' restaurant for about 7 to 10$.

My target destinations:
-Lima: 4 or 6 days total <--- waaaay too long. there's a couple things to see in lima, but 2 days should be enough.
-Cusco and Sacred Valley (undecided upon all destinations): 5-7 days total
-Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes, immediate surroundings: 2 days total <--- how are you getting to machu pichu? If you hike, it will take longer, but i'm assuming you are taking the train?
-Arequipa: 2 days total <--- spend more time here to do a caynon trek!!!
-Pisco and Nazca Lines: probably will do as a day trip from Lima <--- not much in Pisco, but you can do Nasca on your way between Lima and Arequipa I think
-not sure, but possible destination would be Lake Titicaca: 1-2 days total <--- spend a few more days. 1 night in Puno, and 2 at least in Lake Titicaca. I wish I had spent more time there.
-not sure, but I might also consider Pisco and the Huacachina Oasis (probably about 2 full days) <--- def do Huacachina, spend one day in the sand dunes, and do the ballestas island tour from there.

Other places to see in Peru would be the jungle, if you are into that, take a 7 day tour that leaves from Cusco. It cost me $550, but that was after a whole lot of negotiating, normal prices are about $1,000. But for me, this was my favourite part of Peru!!!! We were really deep in the jungle. Truely unique and amazing!!!

If you go North, I recommend Huaraz. It's the best of the Andes. You can keep going further north too, the further north the less tourists, but only go if you have a lot more time. the highlights are in the south.

#9 11-6-2016 11:44 AM

#10 11-6-2016 2:31 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 3720

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

21 days is plenty to do all of that.  30 days would be incredible, and you can do so much, and enjoy it at a less rushed pace.

Pisco and Huacachina - you should do both.  Tie it in with the Nazca lines, and stay in that area.  It's at least 4 hours from Lima, and so day trips to go back and forth become pointless; it's definitely possible to do the Nazca lines and Pisco together in a single day. All three are reasonably close together, and trips to each are cheaper from those locations than from Lima. This will make 4-6 days in Lima quite excessive.  It is still a great city, and if you do wish to do things like Spanish lessons or cookery courses, you can still do stuff like that there to pass some time.

Cusco is beautiful.  You can easily stay there a while, and enjoy it.  7 days for everything is fine, but if you do decided on the full Inca trail (3 days), book well in advance.  It will certainly be the most expensive part of the trip.

Food, accommodation, buses, are all very cheap.  You should consider a flight somewhere though, and plan you route North to South to do everything along the way, and then fly back to Lima.

Lake Titicaca is ok.  2 days is enough.  It my be worth visiting the Bolivian side, and seeing Isla del Sol if you find you excess time.

Arequipa is well worth a visit.  The hike is overnight, and so you will need two days minimum.  There's a lot to do there too, such as rafting, and other activities.  I really liked it there, and could have easily stayed longer than my three days.

I'd recommend not planning too much.  Book 2 nights in Lima, and go from there.  It is easy to find accommodation, and it is cheap.  Buses are frequent enough to allow a flexible plan, and food is really cheap everywhere.  You can pay higher prices for restaurants, but it depends on the quality you want.  I would recommend 2 nights in Lima, and move on to Huacachina, Pisco, Nazca and spend some time there.  From there go to Cusco and then Lake Titicaca (and possible Isla del Sol).  Go back to Cusco, and then onto Arequipa, and fly from there back to Lima. That way you can judge Lima and Cusco for yourself, and budget you time out effectively.  I.e. You have the flexibility to go back to both, and plan your time accordingly.

#11 11-29-2016 6:04 PM

PaulKK
Paul
Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6

Hi Ranchero,
Just stumbled on your post, i'm a newbie here on travbuddy!
Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Personally, I love Lima.. the food there is incredible and well worth a couple of days there alone. the pick of the places is La Mar, very good Ceviche, but if on a bit more of a budget, check out Punto Azul. I always reccomend to my friends travelling to Peru to stick to the coast down past ica, Huacachina to Arequipa.. do Colca Canyon, then Lake Titicaca and onto Cusco. I stayed in Cusco two weeks and absouletely could have spent another two! I stayed at an awesome place just around the corner from the Plaza called WakaPunku hotel  - definately worth a look. Hope that helps!

#12 1-19-2017 1:24 PM

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

I decided to cancel this trip for various reasons, mainly influenced by the Zika epidemic and also due to other plans and financial reasons. Will choose other destinations instead.

But the subject of this trip still interests me, just that I won't take this trip this year.

Last edited by Ranchero (1-19-2017 1:35 PM)

#13 1-19-2017 8:28 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: Costs of a 3-4 week-long trip to Peru

As usual I think the cities get sold short. 3-4 days in a big city like Lima for me is a must. if you are into photography, especially street photography. It is more than just ..what to see. There are many historical sites in Lima and I like to sit around or live the city culture like the nightlife and places the local set like to hang out.
$100 just to look at the Nasca lines? 15 minutes? And you have to get there. The sand dunes....hmmm...after a couple hour I'll be bored. But hey to each their own.

I may have to change my South America plans to the Mediterranean.......waiting on another's plans.

#14 1-19-2017 9:52 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 130

Hi!
I just joined and came across this post. I just bought my tickets and will be heading to Peru in September for 3 weeks and am just starting to think about my itinerary. I was thinking somewhat similar to Ranchero but was looking at heading to Huancayo for a couple days instead of spending all of the first bit in Lima and then bussing down the highway and up to Cusco via Arequipa and Puno with a little bit extra in Arequipa to hike the Colca Canyon. I'll need enough time as I want to do either the Lares or Choquequirao trek in Cusco.

Has anyone else been to Huancayo? Just wondering if it's worth the side trip. I've read that it's a pretty cool little town and the food is good.

#15 4-1-2017 12:57 PM

Lsullivan420
Just ask ( :
United States
Posts: 5

H,i NickelP

I definitely think that bussing down the coast  to Cusco is definitely a smart choice,  it's a lot safer more comfortable and you can stop at cool locations on the way. Of course you can also fly directly from Lima to Cusco for around $100 in less then an hour if you like.
I also highly recommended the Choquequirao trek. It's off the grid a lot different then other treks like the Machu Picchu which is very touristy. It's considered a difficult treck and it really is but is very rewarding. You also have the option of renting a local guide and mule for carrying your pack which helps a lot.

P.S bring lots of bug spray for mosquitos! Safe travels.

#16 4-1-2017 8:29 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Posts: 130

Lsullivan420 wrote:

H,i NickelP

P.S bring lots of bug spray for mosquitos! Safe travels.

Thanks for the info Elnatan! I'm flying back to Lima from Cusco but planning on making a few stops along the way on my bus ride there. Haven't quite figured it all out yet but I still have 5 months to sort it all out. smile

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer