#1 9-3-2016 4:40 PM

Y2JayDoesAsia
Christchurch, New Zealand
Couch Potato

Good point and shoot camera for low light? (list of models included)

So I'm getting into a lot more travel photography and vlogging nowadays, I need a good point and shoot or possibly DSLR, especially one good for LOW LIGHT. That is the most important thing. I already have a good cellphone (w camera) and a gopro hero4 silver, but neither of those do well in low light and anything I shoot is grainy video.

Here's the problem...

After lots of google searching for "vloggings cameras that do well in low light", all I'm finding are models that for some reason are not for sale in my country. No idea why. I don't know whether the cameras just become obsolete quick and are discontinued, or if they just don't all sell internationally.

Now I've been stung once before by NZ Customs on GST for buying something expensive overseas and bringing it it, had to pay $150 in tax on an item and I'm not keen to do that again. So I'm looking at finding out if anybody can tell me if they have any of these cameras and how well they do in low light. These are models I know are for sale in my country (New Zealand).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Canon SX530
Canon SX610
Canon Powershot SX720
Canon Powershot SX420 IS
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS
Canon Powershot D30
Canon PowerShot SX610 HS

Panasonic DMC - FZ70
Panasonic DMC - FT30GN
Panasonic TZ70
Panasonic TZ57
Panasonic Lumix LZ40
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ57
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70GN

Nikon S7000
Nikon Coolpix L840
Nikon Coolpix S7000

#2 9-5-2016 1:16 PM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Re: Good point and shoot camera for low light? (list of models included)

point-and-shoots are not “good" in low light. For that you need a camera with a larger sensor and fast lens.

But good is a relative term. I can take clear pictures with my $3000 camera that I can’t take with my $1000 camera, but my $1000 camera is good compared to my phone’s camera.

It’s just a matter of how much ‘noise’ at high ISO setting you can put up with. How much your budget is, and what exactly you want to use your camera for.

#3 9-6-2016 3:19 AM

vixen2306
Anita
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Re: Good point and shoot camera for low light? (list of models included)

Y2JayDoesAsia wrote:

So I'm getting into a lot more travel photography and vlogging nowadays, I need a good point and shoot or possibly DSLR, especially one good for LOW LIGHT. That is the most important thing. I already have a good cellphone (w camera) and a gopro hero4 silver, but neither of those do well in low light and anything I shoot is grainy video.

Here's the problem...

After lots of google searching for "vloggings cameras that do well in low light", all I'm finding are models that for some reason are not for sale in my country. No idea why. I don't know whether the cameras just become obsolete quick and are discontinued, or if they just don't all sell internationally.

Now I've been stung once before by NZ Customs on GST for buying something expensive overseas and bringing it it, had to pay $150 in tax on an item and I'm not keen to do that again. So I'm looking at finding out if anybody can tell me if they have any of these cameras and how well they do in low light. These are models I know are for sale in my country (New Zealand).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Point-and-shoot cameras are a thing of the past nowadays.

Better choice and much better quality pictures are offered by mirrorless cameras. Look at Olympus or Panasonic 3/4 cameras. They have many lens options and will give you the picture quality you want. You can buy a good starter kit with 3-4 lenses for about $1200.

Last edited by vixen2306 (9-6-2016 3:20 AM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer