#1 9-2-2016 2:03 AM

Tell me about Antalya!

After spending weeks debating where to go for a September holiday, we've decided to go to Antalya. The hotel is booked, and my husband, my baby (12 months) and I will be heading off next week. Nothing like good preparation, huh?

Does anyone have any tips? Baby is pretty resilient and eats everything, including curry. This is a bit more of a relaxing trip than my usual approach of trying to see every monument and museum in a 20k radius, but I'd like to do more than just sit by the pool. I hear the museum is good? Is it worth hiring a car and seeing the region a bit, and does anyone know if Turkish car hire places have child seats?

#2 9-2-2016 2:34 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1316

Re: Tell me about Antalya!

From Antalya we visited the roman sites Perge and Aspendos you can book guided tours on almost every street corner. The harbor area is really nice for just having a drink on a terrace and watch all the activities around. If I remember correct you can also go on a boat tour from the harbor, we didn't so can't tell you more. We did do a boat tour at Manavgat but other than the river and the sea separated by a beach I didn't find it very exciting.
I would go and take a look at the Düden waterfall, that's really nice.
I can't tell you anything about car hire in Turkey though

#3 9-2-2016 7:09 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17593

Re: Tell me about Antalya!

Yes, city centre and harbour area is very nice. Rest is mostly either tourist resorts or boring apartment blocks. There are other places nearby that could be reached by car. Or by public transport, which is very efficient in Turkey.

I cannot comment on anywhere close by to Antalya as I did not visit them.

The ruins mentioned by Stefmuts did seem very interesting but due to a last minute change of plans, I did not get to see.

Renting a car could be a good idea but standards of driving can be difficult. Not like in England smile

Turkish cuisine is superb. A bit too much meat perhaps. Alcohol including beer and wine is not cheap. Turkish tea is great and refreshing. Not a big fan of Turkish coffee but worth a try. I love ayran, a kind of yoghurt drink available everywhere. Particularly good when home made. Baklava is to die for but probably not good for teeth or figure.

If you can't speak Turkish, knowledge of German or Russian could be handy...

And yes, I've moved this thread to Europe section of forum.

#4 9-2-2016 7:45 AM

fox145125
James
Denver, Colorado
Couch Potato
Posts: 40

Re: Tell me about Antalya!

We visited Olympos when we visited Antalya. It was a very nice area if you're ok with a rock beach. We also visited the Flaming Rocks of Chimaera which was pretty neat to see at night.

Have fun!

#5 9-2-2016 10:37 AM

EmEm
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3483

Re: Tell me about Antalya!

Where in Antalya is your hotel? Is it near the airport in Lara Kunde or on the other side towards Kemer?
I have been to Side, very nice antique place and resort,  two hours away from the airport by car, and 5minutes away from Manavgat, but I do not suggest it to you with the baby if the temperature will be like now. Those ruins of Perge are near Antalya, Aspendos is app. 1h away, but also very nice, Belek is perfect for golfers,  in the city: Duden Waterfalls,  Hadrian's Gate, Antalya Museum and others, Clock Tower, Yivliminare Mosque - the city symbol, etc.

#6 9-3-2016 12:56 PM

Re: Tell me about Antalya!

Stefanie, we might not need a car if there are good buses smile I'm not sure about tours with the little one- I'd be scared he'd ruin it for other people if he got fussy! Mind you he can be pretty charming if there are enough people cooing at him smile and the ancient sites look *amazing* thanks!

Francis, thank you for the help and the move- I wasn't sure where to put this smile and the ayran sounds lovely. And the tea- I'll look out for it smile

James, that looks *amazing*.

Emem, we're to the east of the city centre in the sort of massive concrete hotel I'd have avoided like the plague a couple of years back. But there are lots of pools there - mini me loves swimming - and we got a good deal. Thank you very much for the tips!

#7 9-20-2016 2:44 AM

Re: Tell me about Antalya!

Thank you all! Photos are up and I'll write the blog soon smile

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer