#1 7-25-2016 6:17 AM

Swansea, Wales
Award: Photographer IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Ambassador
Posts: 15

Good waterproof jacket

I need a really good waterproof jacket....I have been stung with buying one that lets the rain in. Can anyone recommend a good make and style/name of jacket? Thanks all!!

#2 7-26-2016 1:11 AM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1958

Re: Good waterproof jacket

You should just go to outdoor shops and try some rain jacket for mountaineering.
The one made of Goretex fabric never goes wrong despite the price is high.

I own the one from Japanese brand (Mont-bell) but the North Face and Columbia ones are popular here in Japan.

#3 7-26-2016 4:12 AM

Re: Good waterproof jacket

as Lotus says, just get gortex

#4 7-26-2016 7:03 AM

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Gore-Tex®, is the standard to which waterproofness in jackets is measured. As it is expensive (jackets easily $300 upwards), manufacturers have come up with their own alternatives:

The North Face has Hyvent
Columbia has OmniDry, Omni-Tech®
Patagonia has H2No
Mountain Hardware has Conduit

Other breathable membrane fabrics are eVent and MemBrain®.

Those brands are well known for waterproof jackets, including the ones that Lotus28 mentioned. Other good brands are Marmot, Outdoor Research, and so on. There are a lot of choices, choose based on your style preference in addition to other technical features.

I personally use an ExOfficio Rain Logic jacket (2.5 layers), which is rated as follows:

Waterproof: Rated to 10,000 mm
Breathable: Rated to 10,000 g

Also it has pit zips, for additional ventilation. Well I don't live in Seattle so I can't test it as much but we do get quite a lot of monsoon rains and typhoons from July to October.

And one more thing - best if the hood is detachable and with a sturdy visor.

#5 7-26-2016 7:28 AM

JeffGreen
Jeffery
Posts: 16

Re: Good waterproof jacket

I also have a ExOfficio (mines red big_smile ) and i find it very reliable, ive had it for a while now and it maybe a little torn of all the random bits and bobs i do (surprisingly alot in the rain) i still find myself wearing it in the middle of a massive rain and still coming out bone dry, what a great experience for myself.

#6 7-27-2016 9:50 AM

Depends where you buy. $20 is all I pay.

Last edited by guybooth (7-27-2016 9:51 AM)

#7 7-27-2016 9:11 PM

#8 7-28-2016 2:16 AM

$20 for how many square inches of fabric? tongue

ha ha, full kit! As I said, depends where you buy! It’s cheep in some countries.

#9 7-28-2016 2:27 AM

$20 for how many square inches of fabric? tongue

Yes, I'm sure you can find it cheap somewhere in the world. Of course, add a few hundred or thousand dollars to fly there? tongue

What brand are you talking about? Do they use 2 layer, 2.5 layer or 3 layer GoreTex?

#10 7-28-2016 3:53 AM

$20 for how many square inches of fabric? tongue

yeah, but if you are flying there anyhow!  I got 2 layers with a removable thick liner for $40. Single layer about $20.  I don’t know the brand, but has lasted a few years so far now with much use.
Dad bought gortex top and pants in a UK army disposal store for about the same price, new, but in camouflage! Again the brand is unknown, Dad asked about that, but they said they don’t display the brand on military gear, but I figure the army only use quality stuff.

#11 7-28-2016 4:58 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3287

Re: Good waterproof jacket

If you want something that will stand up to really severe weather get a jacket from Gill.  They're made for offshore sailing conditions where you can be in a thunderstorm downpour for hours.

#12 9-3-2016 4:18 PM

Y2JayDoesAsia
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 14

Re: Good waterproof jacket

I would go with goretex too, tends to be a good brand

#13 9-6-2016 2:46 PM

melissawong
Melissa
Lausanne, Switzerland
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Wanderer
Posts: 250

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Mountain Warehouse always has very good bargains. I'm looking at the Aures Extreme Womens Waterproof Jacket for EUR66... "Rated at 10,000mm waterproof" "guarantee for 3 years". Blah I can never find my size in a good deal.

#14 9-6-2016 11:08 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5952

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Does anyone know anything about Quechua branded clothes? I was in Decathlon the other day and they had Quechua stuff insanely cheap, around £30 for a light coat (Guy, I know, but I'm in the U.K. At the moment!). Normally I'd go for North Face, or my last one was Regatta, but if Quechua is any good that's a real bargain.

#15 9-9-2016 6:07 AM

sarahelaine wrote:

I've seen their logo in passing but it never rang a bell for me regarding the Quecha brand. The brand that made the most impact for me back then (when I couldn't afford it in the 90s) was The North Face (jackets made with GoreTex) - they would cost upwards of $300!

#16 9-9-2016 2:17 PM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 631

The North Face has Hyvent
Columbia has OmniDry, Omni-Tech®
Patagonia has H2No
Mountain Hardware has Conduit

I'm lacking of a waterproof jacket too. Looks like Columbia has the lowest price points:

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportsw … tech+girls

http://www.columbia.com/girls-arcadia-j … mp;start=0

OP and others on a budget can consider buying Youth size instead of Men's/Women's as the Youth versions tend to be much cheaper. An American Youth XL generally fits 54-62kg and height of around 168cm (5'6'').  One size smaller, i.e. American Youth L generally fits people who are 47-55kg -- I find this a perfect fit on my average 5'4'' frame.

#17 9-16-2016 9:54 AM

LucasS6399
Lucas
Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 5

Re: Good waterproof jacket

I spent a lot in mine, it was $300 kiwi dollars, it's a Katmandu but it has been super practical, becaus eit's a two layer one so if its warm and just raining I remove the warm inner coat and If it's cold, snowing and raining and just add the warm inner layer. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend and if you want something that will last you a long time.

#18 10-14-2016 7:01 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1313

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Quecha is Decathlons own brand, I only have a Quechua backpack myself so I can't speak for the waterproof jackets, but I hear nothing but good stuff about the brand so might be worth trying Sarah, specially when it's as you say ' insanely cheap'

#19 10-14-2016 12:29 PM

rajeev_ktm
Kathmandu, Nepal
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 101

Re: Good waterproof jacket

goretex is the one you should buy smile

#20 12-2-2016 5:09 AM

Jhon_Carter
Posts: 14

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Patagonia Alpine Houdini, is the best option for you. Easily packable is its best advantage. This feather weight shell is now H2No performance standard, offers ultra light 100% nylon rips top shell with a DWR finish and a waterproof/breathable membrane.

#21 12-2-2016 10:36 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1646

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Gore tex is the fabric not the brand. By WLGore Company. Down the road from my home.

#22 12-3-2016 2:42 PM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 464

Re: Good waterproof jacket

I have a Joules fisherman style raincoat. I paid £75 for it. It claims to be 100% waterproof and breathable. We had torrential downpour in Iceland and I was bone dry underneath, very happy with my purchase. Plus its cute and yellow. Thats a bonus.

#23 2-22-2017 6:01 AM

77LoveLife66
Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 21

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Gortex is your best bet.  It's worth the money.  Waterproof and breathable.
smile

#24 2-24-2017 7:11 AM

travmavalexis
San Francisco, California
Posts: 30

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Gortex is a good investment. If you want a cheaper, shorter-life jacket, maybe Columbia

#25 5-4-2017 2:02 AM

tadcaster2014
San Francisco, California
Posts: 8

Re: Good waterproof jacket

Rains is a good and well trusted brand

Board footer