#1 7-7-2016 2:48 AM

New Years Eve in India

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on here, my last trip ended in 2012 and I've been meaning to go backpacking again ever since.

Anyway, I'm going to be in India for New Years 2016 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to do that don't include beach parties and getting blind drunk.

I'm 31 years old and will be going with my boyfriend and we are looking for quieter local fun, fireworks, food, street party style....?

Does anyone have and recommendations or ideas?
It's quite hard to google, there isn't much out there to read up on.

Thanks smile

#2 7-9-2016 12:46 AM

kristinperry66
Kristin
Delhi, India
Posts: 14

Re: New Years Eve in India

If you want to celebrate the New Year in India, you can visit Manali it is the best place to visit. In Manali, you can see mall road, Hidimba Devi Temple, Solang Valley and the Manikaran Gurudwara.

#3 7-9-2016 5:19 AM

sky69
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 539

hippysunshine wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone have and recommendations or ideas?
It's quite hard to google, there isn't much out there to read up on.

Thanks smile

Goa is the best place for new year's eve !

#4 7-11-2016 10:44 PM

Jacksmith

Re: New Years Eve in India

If you want some place far from crowds and want to spend quality time with your loved ones, I will suggest to you Kerala in south India. The Kerala is full of fun and adventure. There are several beautiful tourist destinations in Kerala. You can see the historic port with diverse architecture in Kochi, enjoy mountain town surrounded by the tea estates in Munnar, go to Thrissur for temple, zoos and churches. Still ,you are with your boyfriends then what is better than Kumarakom a romantic paradise for couples. The place has beautiful lakes, boathouse, honeymoon, lagoons and much more than a couple always desires. The place has also gorgeous resorts for couples and honeymooners. I stayed in Karma Groove and enjoyed spa, infinity pool, fishing, house boat, beer and wine, delicious in the hotel alone. All the best for your trip.

#5 7-12-2016 5:50 AM

wanderingtiger_sam
Sam
Nashik, India
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 27

Re: New Years Eve in India

I suggest GOA would be the best choice..You can be in Southern parts of GOA...PM me for further details..

#6 7-12-2016 12:23 PM

Posts: 101

Mumbai and Goa is perfect

#7 7-12-2016 12:40 PM

Re: New Years Eve in India

What does Goa have to offer on new years eve besides beach parties? I dont want a beach party full of drunk 20 somethings hmm

#8 7-12-2016 12:41 PM

Jacksmith wrote:

Thanks for this. I have been to Kerala but not heard of Kumarakom, so i'll look into that smile

#9 7-12-2016 1:21 PM

VB9876
Vietnam

Re: New Years Eve in India

Last edited by VB9876 (7-12-2016 1:21 PM)

#10 7-12-2016 3:54 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 671

Re: New Years Eve in India

Normally, many locals consider it as a religious event and go to temples or churches in the new year eve and many celebrate at home watching live TV programs with sweets and snacks tongue However, you will find people on the popular areas/streets all night shopping, eating and having fun and many big cities will be busy. Mostly, parties are in the star hotels, clubs and private beaches.

For instance, in Chennai - South India, the Marina beach will be the one of the primary locations where locals gather for fireworks, food and fun. But it will be extremely crowded, so I wouldn't recommend that for a tourist. However, there are private beach resorts along the beach which might work, but it may not fit your expectations.

#11 7-19-2016 6:15 AM

tour_guy wrote:

I was thinking of flying into Mumbai and heading down to Marine Drive for a similar experience, the crowds don't worry me, I will be happy in that atmosphere smile

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll report back when I return from my trip and let you all know how my New Years experience in India went down (for those that are interested).

#12 7-24-2016 3:59 AM

TreeTribe
Mumbai, India

hippysunshine wrote:

Marine Drive is like Mumbai's Times Square... there will be lots of drunk locals causing a ruckus on New Years, so unless you want to find a quiet, small beach in South Goa, any popular place will have the usual carnage that goes with NYE.

The Manali suggestion is worth considering if you want to freeze your limbs off and like sub zero temperatures.

There are lots of places in India to suit every kind of preference so if you are a bit more specific on how you might like your ideal NYE holiday to be (or other parts of your trip), perhaps we can suggest some options!

Last edited by TreeTribe (7-24-2016 4:03 AM)

#13 7-25-2016 1:10 AM

travel-food-love
Posts: 12

Re: New Years Eve in India

Goa can actually be a fun place for you and your boyfriend. If you don't want to spend it partying on a beach, how about a nice dinner at a beachside restaurants with local families with drinks and good food? Not all the beaches in Goa have crazy wild parties. Maybe try the smaller beaches like Bogmalo or Betalbatim Beach smile

#14 7-25-2016 4:47 AM

Wanderfeet
Posts: 3

Re: New Years Eve in India

Well, for New Year's eve India Gate in Delhi or Taj in Mumbai are great places. Even street choices are aplenty in Mumbai.
And of course, Goa is a good choice too. And, you can also consider Kerala and Hyderabad as well.

#15 8-1-2016 6:45 AM

Wanderfeet wrote:

Street options in Mumbai are looking to be the way forward I think smile I assume we will just stumble upon that sort of thing.

Flight is booked to Mumbai now anyway. Just need to find some accommodation...?

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer