#1 6-22-2016 3:17 AM

cloud
Warrington, England
Couch Potato

Cheapest Everest base camp trek tour and Nepal to Tibet tour.

Hey Fellow Travbuddies.

I'm looking into doing a trip to Nepal and Tibet this September.
The rough plan is to fly to Kathmandu  and book with a tour company to hike the Everest base camp trek.
After returning to Kathmandu I plan on doing a mini trip to Lhasa in Tibet.

Can anybody recommend  cheap but decent  tour companies for these two?

Thanks CJ

#2 6-22-2016 5:58 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Re: Cheapest Everest base camp trek tour and Nepal to Tibet tour.

There's no need to book a tour for EBC.  Independent travel either solo or with a porter/guide will cost the same or less and allow you to trek at your own pace.  Send me a PM for the company I've used for my treks.

September is not the ideal month for the trek as the monsoon is likely to still be in progress, and it seems to last longer into October than in the past.  The later you can go the better, but be prepared for rain and clouds.

Entering Tibet from Nepal has been quite iffy for some years.  If you want to visit Lhasa you may have to fly to China first.  You'll only find out at the last minute if the border is open when you want to go, and what the rules are.

#3 6-22-2016 6:12 AM

kritikasingh
kritika
Couch Potato

Hi there are many tour operators who offers adventurous trips in Nepal, India, and Tibet along with other countries and among them are Flying fox, Country Side, Adventure Nation etc., . You could visit their site and compare their prices and availability of seats according to your schedule. Thanks

#4 6-22-2016 10:52 AM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

September may not be the best month for an EBC trek. As for ‘cheaper’ read the fine print as to what the price includes when you book. You can just go yourself too if you like, carry your own bag without a porter, book your own flights to Lukla, and get the permits yourself - thats the cheapest option.
Above all, take your time! Many people rush up and down in 11 days, but 2 weeks is better.

#5 6-22-2016 10:39 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

September is a bit politically sensitive month between China and Tibet as they have memorial day of Tibetan Democracy during that month.
Chinese government may suspend issuance of entry permit and you need to keep your eyes on the latest situation.

I personally didn't like Lhasa at all even I am pretty much into Tibetan culture. It was under so much pressure of Chinese government and was too touristic even when I visited there 15 years ago, and according to many reports since then, Chinese domestic tourism had gone too far. I would recommend other regions if you want to feel Tibetan culture. (My favorite areas are Amdo (Qinghai Province) and Kham(Sichuan Province), both of them are outside of Tibetan Autonomous Region and doesn't require permit to visit.)

#6 6-23-2016 5:13 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Explorer

The Mustang region in Nepal is of Tibetan culture, so a trek to Lo Manthang may be a good choice if culture is your goal.  And it's in the rain shadow so a good choice in Monsoon season.  It's a restricted region so trekking is more expensive there than in the Khumbu.

#7 6-23-2016 3:00 PM

halilee
Hali
Regina, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I agree, you can easily arrange the trip to EBC yourself.. book flights to and from Lukla. Hire a porter and/or sherpa if you need/want one. If you can carry your own backpack, no need for the porter. THe guide/sherpa isn't necessary and we found most people didn't have one. We did have one however, moreso in case of emergency if anything. Also, do try to visit Gokyo Lakes and cross Chola Pass. The scenery there was probably even better than at EBC and only adds on a few extra days. Allow about 16 days for the trek then. October is definitely a much better time to trek than September which is still monsoon season.

As for Tibet, it is often closed in September so I wouldn't count on being able to enter then. October again is a much more feasible month to enter. You do NEED to go through a company/guide to visit Tibet as it's not a place you can visit on your own. Note that you do need a china visa before you are able to apply for the Tibetan permit to enter tibet and that on the china visa application you are not to mention that you are visiting Tibet.

I've been to Nepal a couple of times now..and am going to Tibet myself this October. Super excited about it. smile

#8 6-23-2016 11:51 PM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Explorer

halilee wrote:

Also, do try to visit Gokyo Lakes and cross Chola Pass. The scenery there was probably even better than at EBC and only adds on a few extra days.

Yeah, I agree 100%, nice to see different trails too, rather than just return down on the same track. The more time you have the better - rest days are good, and so is exploring extra trails if you’re feeling strong.
Just don’t book any trip were you can’t be flexible with rest days / night stops, and trails.
You never know what the weather will do and how your body will feel, and it’s pretty miserable to have to march on in snow, feeling unwell, just because you have booked for 11 days and won’t even reach EBC if you don’t stick to the program.

#9 6-24-2016 3:51 AM

someoneitsme
VJ SG
Singapore, Singapore
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

EBC in sep can may not be so enjoyable. I have done it 2 times .. as i usually bring group to hikes.. If you are looking for cheap and an experienced hiker. Just do it on your own and follow the standard itinerary. Trail is very startight forward and u can easily do it. No need to go through any agenncies. Just make sure u pre arrange all the permits once u arrive at KTM>

good luck mate.

#10 6-24-2016 5:07 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Explorer

I trekked EBC, Gokyo, and Mustang on three separate trips.  Mustang requires a guide and at least two trekkers, so impossible to do independently.  While I employed a porter-guide on the other two, had I felt like carrying my own gear there was no reason not to do so.  However, employing a local is good for the Nepali economy, and also gives more cultural impressions than just hanging in lodges with other trekkers.

If you have the time, trekking in via Jiri vs. flying to Lukla is a good option.  The extra days are great for toughening up the body, and the scenery is much different.  I did this on the Gokyo trip.  Most people take 6-8 days to reach Namche from Jiri, which is an 8-10 hour bus trip from KTM,

Even going solo, it can be efficient to hire an agency to handle your paperwork, permits, and tickets.  Saves you running around KTM for a day, and the extra cost will me minimal.

#11 9-11-2016 11:59 PM

spikemidler
Spike
Couch Potato

Hi Cloud,

You have planned a nice trip. Between September to November, this is the best tourist season in Nepal with the summer gone by and the winter to set in. The weather is highly pleasant so are the mountain views. Recently I have returned from Bhutan Tour through Complete India & Asia with my family. This travel agency provided the best tour package in all over India & Asia. I think you will be satisfied with the service of this company like me.  Thanks!!!

#12 9-12-2016 6:02 AM

manisha123
Couch Potato

Hello Cloud

Wow!!!!!!!!!! That's very good that you are coming to Nepal for trekking because that's the best you can get. And do bring some hot clothes might be little cold during September.

#13 9-27-2016 4:16 AM

SnehaS
Sneha
Pune, India
Couch Potato

Hii ,
The Mt. Everest Base Camp is a dream destination of most of the adventure trekkers/travelers around the world. Most of these adventure lovers (especially students and backpackers) prefer to travel on a small budget. Keeping these people’s needs in mind, Amigo Treks and Expedition P. Ltd., offers low- budget Everest Base Camp Trek package to help interested trekkers fulfill their dream, on a limited budget.

I preffered this ...

#14 9-28-2016 9:17 AM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Explorer

Looks like this is becoming in part an advertising thread for trekking companies. When you get new members  who have only every posted 1 or 2 posts, ever, and they are promoting a specific agency, I’d steer well clear of their recommendations...looks suspiciously like they have some vested interest...

#15 10-21-2016 6:36 AM

bhush2006
Bhushan
Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

I agree with guybooth. I have reported it as Spam. See all the replies by this person to different posts. They dont mean anything.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer