#1 4-9-2016 1:21 PM

Helen
Manchester, England
Posts: 29

First time in India

I'm flying out to meet some friends in India mid October.  They'll arrive before me to do a week of yoga somewhere near Trivandrum, so I'll meet them there.  Then we have 2 weeks to do some hiking/trekking around Kerala and travel to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur before they continue to Goa for an extra week (and I go home sad  )

India is completely new to us so looking for recommendations on amazing hiking in Kerala, other sites, travel between the different places and how long we should look at spending in each place please!

I Know 2 weeks isn't long but I don't mind action packed days smile

#2 4-9-2016 1:39 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17593

Re: First time in India

Wow. That's a lot of travelling in two weeks. India is not an easy country to travel around unless you fly everywhere. I really would concentrate on southern India and leave the North to a separate trip.

My favourite places in southern India were Hampi (my favourite in all India) and Munnar. You could do a Kerala backwaters boat trip too.

I preferred south India to the north, though the great tourist sites are mostly in the north.

#3 4-12-2016 4:01 AM

Wong079
Richard
Japan
Posts: 3

Re: First time in India

Nice hike in Munnar to enjoy a great view of tea plantations and you may perhaps see some mountain goats on the way.

#4 4-13-2016 12:18 AM

Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Hi Helen

In south India you can travel the typical tourist circuit of Munnar - Thekkady - Alleppey. From Trivandrum you can catch a train to reach Alleppey. Munnar is famous for Tea estates and scenic views. You can also trek in nearby mountains. Thekkady is famous for its wildlife reserve known as Periyar Tiger Reserve. You can take a boat ride in the reserve in the Periyar Lake and if u r lucky then u may spot some animals apart from birdlife. Alleppey is famous for its backwaters and scenic canal rides.

For travelling through this circuit, I recommend u hire a private vehicle since u can also share the costs among ur friends. This will make your travel comfortable and quick. In my opinion u can spend 2-3 nights in Munnar, 2 nights in Alleppey and 2 nights in Thekkady-Periyar.

After covering this route you can travel to Kochi which is near Alleppey and then fly to Delhi.

From Delhi you can cover golden triangle (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur). Delhi - Forts, India Gate, Lotus Temple and some tombs. Agra - Taj Mahal, Fort, Fatehpur Sikri. Jaipur - Palaces.  The tentative days u can reserve for these destinations are Delhi - 2, Agra and Fatehpur Sikri - 2, Jaipur - 2

This will be quite hectic schedule but u can cover most of the places.

Bhushan

Last edited by bhush2006 (4-13-2016 12:21 AM)

#5 4-15-2016 2:44 AM

macpual
Posts: 2

Hi,
there are too many options in India to travel jaisalmer is one of them you can visit there.
One of the best camping sights of Thar Desert, the luxurious Joggan Jaisalmer offers luxury Desert Camp in Jaisalmer. Find one of the best experience of Desert Camping with Joggan Jaisalmer Camp.

#6 4-15-2016 7:00 AM

Re: First time in India

I agree with Francis that it is best if you just focus on one region, say Southern India. I traveled a little over 2 weeks in January from coast to coast (Chennai to Goa, then down to Kochi) via train, bus and private vehicle. I also met with Bhushan and a few other TravBuddies in Goa for a couple of days.

Munnar in the south is a nice place to escape the heat and hustle and bustle of the cities. As India is quite unpredictable, it is better to err on the cautious side than be too optimistic and end up not enjoying the whole trip.

If you don't mind action packed days then flying is the fastest way to go between Kerala and the Golden Triangle. However 1 week in Kerala trying to see more than 3 or 4 cities is in my opinion pushing it too much. Just focus on Kochi, Ernakulam, Allepey and maybe Munnar.

#7 6-28-2016 2:35 AM

kristinperry66
Kristin
Delhi, India
Posts: 14

Re: First time in India

India is the beautiful country. You can visit Kerala and start doing hiking in Kerala. Kerala is the best South Indian destination in which you can visit various beaches.

#8 7-12-2016 4:54 AM

ahana2607
Posts: 12

Re: First time in India

If you are travelling to first time in India then you visit the various destinations such as Goa, Mcleodganj, Srinagar, Leh Ladakh, Banaras and Mumbai etc.

#9 7-12-2016 8:19 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 633

Re: First time in India

On the way from Jaipur to Agra, we stopped at Karauli (rural place) and stayed overnight at Bhanwar Vilas Palace in Udaipur.  I wrote about them in my India blog.

#10 7-12-2016 8:58 AM

jethanad
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 571

Re: First time in India

I would go hiking before spending significant time in the cities. Kerala is very  nice,  but during October  Northern India will be at its finest.

You will spend too much time travelling if you try to cover  North and South in one trip, I would recommend you break up your trips and surely 2 weeks will not be enough

Last edited by jethanad (7-12-2016 9:01 AM)

#11 10-10-2016 12:57 AM

ramakant24
Rama
Posts: 3

Re: First time in India

If you travelling first time to India. You can must visit Various Destinations like - Kerala, Rajasthan, Kashmir, Sikkim, Leh Ladakh, Agra, and Delhi etc.

#12 10-10-2016 5:31 AM

sky69
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III

#13 10-10-2016 12:03 PM

Few other TravBuddies eh ??? lol

Hahaha that's because you had not yet replied on this thread. So no point yet mentioning people who haven't chimed in the conversation until now. Likewise the OP can't see my blogs of us in India due to the privacy restrictions I've set for the Travbuddy website.

Having said that, one of the highlights of my India trip is Hampi. Some gentleman named Jai met us at his hometown of Hospet and drove us over to Hampi the following day. We had a great time exploring the place and most especially chilling out over lunch at a nice restaurant across the river. You (OP) should consider Hampi if crossing the mid south of India and definitely look for this enigmatic person named Jai (aka sky69)😜

Right, Jai? When do we plan for our northern India meetup? Bhushan is more interested in South Africa at the moment hehehe

#14 10-10-2016 10:49 PM

Enigmatic ?! hahaha .....

North-India meetup would be awesome as we discussed earlier.., South-Africa looks interesting..., I would love to visit ..., let me know the tentative date's.

#15 10-11-2016 5:48 AM

Enigmatic ?! hahaha .....

Then we need to talk to Bhushan. According to him roundtrip fares from Mumbai to Johannesburg average in the $300 range, which is quite cheap for the distance.

I'll see if I can get the gentleman from Wales (joseph98) and his brother from another mother (kimmerbee) interested in that in lieu of Mongolia about the same time frame considering airfare is quite expensive going there. I have to check fares as well.

#16 10-14-2016 11:51 PM

adam9876543210
India
Posts: 2

hi...
     welcome to the forum site. India is a great country and many different types of historical place are available. they place are very attractive. the tourist person loves this country.

#17 10-18-2016 2:55 AM

morachichincholi
Morachi
Posts: 6

Re: First time in India

hiii....if you are travelling India..then you must experience the culture of India. and If you are willing to experience the authentic culture of India then you must visit Morachi chincholi. Morachi chincholi is natural peacock sanctuary and it is located deep inside the Rural Maharashtra. Here you can watch the real beauty of India i.e Indian peacock

#18 10-19-2016 2:08 AM

joytravels
Sarwar
Posts: 9

Re: First time in India

If you traveling first time to India. You can must visit beautiful destinations in Uttarakhand, Like as Nainital - Ranikhet - Almora - Corbett, Kausani and Mussoorie - Hill Station.

We can Assure you For a Excellent Services with Very Good Rates. http://www.joy-travels.co.in/book-india … ckages.php

#19 10-21-2016 6:49 AM

Re: First time in India

I just checked for some random dates. Mumbai-Johannesburg-Mumbai Return fare for Ethiopian Airlines is showing as INR 20,312 i.e. 304 USD

Checked for 09 Aug,2017 to 18 Aug 2017.. Just a random selection of dates for fare checking.

Enigmatic ?! hahaha .....

Last edited by bhush2006 (10-21-2016 6:49 AM)

#20 10-21-2016 7:17 AM

Coz i saw few buddies discussing about Mongolia trip around same time.....,
I prefer South-Africa over Mongolia in 2017..., There is always next time for Mongolia !!! lol

#21 10-21-2016 9:30 PM

Hi Raj

Haha I dont know at the moment whether its gonna happen in 2017. But lets plan for it... People will fall in....Need to chalk out itinerary carefully because the distances are enormous from JBerg to Capetown... Travelling by train en-route sounds good.. Lets also talk to Andi if she will be in SA during that time.. Remember, I had posted about Namqualand (An area near Capetown where u get to see a Sea of wild flowers during specific time).. So also need to consider that. I suggest u also start reading about it and lets plan something concrete :-)

Coz i saw few buddies discussing about Mongolia trip around same time.....,

Last edited by bhush2006 (10-21-2016 9:31 PM)

#22 10-21-2016 11:57 PM

Anjali33
anjali
Award: Writer I
Posts: 19

Hello friend
India, it is often said, is not a country, but a continent. Stretching from the frozen summits of the Himalayas to the tropical greenery of Kerala, its expansive borders encompass an incomparable range of landscapes, cultures, and people.
Kerala, in south India, is often referred to as "God's Own Country". This coastal state is rich in distinctive traditions and culture and lush unspoiled tropical beauty. Most of all, Kerala is known for its elephants, elaborate temple festivals, and the tranquil backwaters. The pace of life is slow, making Kerala the perfect place for a leisurely vacation.

#23 10-24-2016 5:06 AM

Hi Raj

Coz i saw few buddies discussing about Mongolia trip around same time.....,

Yes Bhushan lets plan for it ....., will see how things will shape-up !
Let me know if you find any attractive/promo air-fare for this sector.
keeping my fingers crossed, lol

#24 10-24-2016 5:11 AM

#25 1-11-2017 3:21 AM

Jhon_Carter
Posts: 14

Top places to visit in south India: -

1)    Alleppey (The backwater hot spot)
2)    Munnar
3)    Kumarakom (One of most tranquil place)
4)    Wayanad (The land of heavenly trails)
5)    Thekkady (For the love of wildlife)
6)    Kovalam (For some beach fun)
7)    Vagamon (Solitude guaranteed)
8)    Bekal (Nothing less of heaven on earth)
9)    Kozhikode (For authentic Malabar cuisine)
10)    Varkala (One of Kerala’s most scenic seasides)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer