#1 3-13-2016 2:42 PM

GMendozaFilms
Toronto, Canada
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 116

What is your Carry on bag?

I currently have a Gregory 35 backpack and I love it. It is a TSA carry on size. I have no problems with AIR CANADA, ANA AIR and around the Philippines. However I always have problems in the U.S. particularly UNITED. I end up having to repack and check in my backpack.

I believe that if it's not with you there's always a chance you may not have it when you get to your destination. I did the first day of my Gunnery Sargeants course in full dress uniform coz my luggage with all my combat field gear was lost in transit. That memory has always haunted me when I travel. My fellow soldiers were kindly donating socks, t-shirt and underwear til me and my battle buddy got our gear.

I'm thinking of carrying a smaller backpack and another bag as a personal. However some airlines in Asia like Philippines Airlines have a one 7kg carry on rule. Women get two with their purse.

Any thoughts or advice

And what if you have to carry a laptop, dslr, a compact camera, device accessories and toiletries, a couple socks, t-shirt, underwear and coats.

Thanx in advance. Be safe and happy trails fellow travellers

#2 3-13-2016 4:30 PM

MNMark
Cambridge, Minnesota
Posts: 254

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

If you are going with a check on bag I recommend one of the ossprey's that have the detachable daypack.

I always keep 1 change of clothes and my 'important' stuff in the daypack, detach it when I check the backpack to fly and after picking it up it has a very sturdy zipper to put it back on. You only end up having to carry 1 pack after you land.

Another nice thing about it is that it has a cover that zips over the shoulder straps so when you check it they dont get stuck and damaged in the conveyors.

Kind of spendy, but best pack I ever owned and very well made.

#3 3-13-2016 9:15 PM

luiskvargaslvg
Louis
San Francisco, California
Posts: 2

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

Last year when I traveled to one of my nearest cities for a vacation. I purchased a Max Air FT model bag. I don't know it's a popular brand or not, but I've found that this bag is very comfortable to carry.

#4 3-13-2016 9:26 PM

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I use an Eagle Creek Exploration 2 Switchback Max 25 (this is the older version, as mine is 5 years already). It has a detachable daypack which is considered a "personal item" but I use it as my carry-on piece instead. If I travel heavily I will likely bring a separate carry-on pack but I don't really do so because these three pieces will hinder my mobility. See picture below with daypack attached to the main pack.

If using a carry-on plus a personal item, I bring my Sierra Designs AT7 spinner 22" carryon, it is quite light and I have no problems making it fit in the sizing frame or within the 7 kgs. weight limit on LCCs. It's a 3-in-1 bag, I can use it as spinner luggage, a duffel style bag, or as a backpack.

#5 3-13-2016 9:28 PM

MNMark wrote:

Kind of spendy, but best pack I ever owned and very well made.

Mark

I highly recommend Osprey backpacks for daypacks/carry-on bags, among others. They are well built and functional. And some have among the best warranties anywhere in the world, although I haven't been forced to use such warranty.

#6 3-18-2016 2:22 PM

GMendozaFilms
Toronto, Canada
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 116

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

Thank you all!!!  I have much to think about and will enjoy researching your comments
Be safe and happy trails

#7 3-19-2016 12:26 AM

pammy_robertson
Posts: 466

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I have a ladies berghaus capacitor 35l and it is my entire luggage these days. I carry it on, my bag is normally under 7kgs and I have a tiny handbag, for only purse, phone, passport, mirrorless camera etc. Only time I check it in is if I have say suncreams over 100ml and the check in baggage is free, or I buy my liquids when I am through security.

I'm sure they'll have a unisex or male equivalent.

#8 3-20-2016 10:23 AM

Oldpro
Posts: 322

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

Strange that you have problems in the USA since they have some of the highest weight allowances for carry-on of any country's airlines and also some of the largest dimension allowances.

You don't say which model Gregory 35 backpack you are using.  If it is an actual backpack then it is designed for wilderness travel, not airplane travel.  For most people who buy a backpack for primarily urban travel, a backpack is the wrong choice.  They would usually be better off buying a travel pack.  A travel pack has a suspension system like a backpack for carrying the bag on your back but the suspension system can be zipped away behind a panel to make it more compatible with airport carousels, overhead bins, etc.

One of the most popular travel packs to look at as an example is the Osprey Farpoint 40.

Weight is the number one enemy of any traveller so I am not in favour of anything that adds weight.  That includes wheels and zip-off day packs.  If the weight is low you don't need wheels and if you need a day pack for use when you leave your main pack in a hotel/hostel or an airline insists you check your bag, then I suggest using a Sea to Summit ultrasil packable day pack which weighs 2.4ozs for the original model and 3.2ozs. for their newer model.  https://www.google.ca/search?q=sea+to+s … e=&oe=

I want to add a further word or two on backpacks vs. travel packs.  I am a long time wilderness backpacker as well as a long time traveller.  Back in the day when the only option for carrying your stuff on your back was a backpack, there was no option other than a backpack if that is what you wanted to do.  But in the last decade or so, pack manufacturers have recognized that their backpacks were being used for more ordinary urban travel and that there was a niche market there for packs specifically designed for that kind of travel.  Hence was born the 'travel pack'.  When something is specifically designed for a specific use, it is obviously going to be better than using something that was designed for an entirely different use.  So today, using a backpack for primarily urban travel simply makes no sense anymore.  I would no more take my  wilderness backpacks on a 'summer backpacking around Europe' than I would take a suitcase into the wilderness.

Last edited by Oldpro (3-20-2016 10:34 AM)

#9 3-20-2016 10:56 AM

kayguarnay
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 179

https://www.rei.com/product/880839/rei- … &lsft=

I flew on United, and all over Europe with this backpack. (Yes yes, I know it's men's), but I have a longer torso so it fits better than the short women's version. I fit 1 month worth of clothes and walked the Camino for 3 weeks with it, then had to check it from Lisboa to Warsaw because I couldn't carry on my shampoo bottle (I didn't want to pitch it yet). I simply turned the straps backward and put the raincover on and it didn't snag on anything. Then I carried it on the return flights through France, DC and back to PGH. It is the perfect pack because you can open it in many ways, has adequate and reachable pockets and is inconspicuous to the pesky United employees who like to make you gate check stuff.

I have a hybrid hard/soft shell "American Traveler" bag (I need to look for the size so I can give you the right link), but this bag fits all of my travel stuff and fits easily in the regional jets. I've been stopped twice to check it at the gate, but I asked to try it and it has always fit, even in the puddle jumper planes.

Hope this helps! I am sorry they lost your gear. sad

#10 3-21-2016 1:29 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 2030

Modified LowePro 200 AW.
It holds my camera, a small medi-kit, wallet,keys etc. Room for a small tablet or small book. I have modified it to be able to mount a 1 litre drink bottle on one side and a sweatshirt on the other. It's my day bag when I'm travelling.

#11 3-24-2016 9:20 AM

lunula
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 3

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

My husband and I both use the Osprey Porter Travel Duffel Bag, 46-Liter size. Mine is green, his is black and we've taken them to Europe w/ no issues on international flights and on multiple domestic flights (including commuter flights on United). We love them because you can tighten them up when you don't have as much in the bag, making the footprint smaller - or expand it, of course.

On a recent 8-day dive trip to Bonaire, we packed all our scuba gear in a big, checked bag and packed all of our clothes and essentials in our backpacks and had plenty of room. We even had our regulators (pretty bulky) in our backpacks, since we don't trust leaving those in our checked bags and still had plenty of space and no issues with overhead bins.

#12 3-24-2016 9:23 AM

Oldpro
Posts: 322

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

The Osprey Farpoint 40 and Porter 46 are two of the most popular travel packs available today.

#13 3-26-2016 11:02 PM

AneilL
Aneil
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 35

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I currently use an Oakley backbag with my camera bag inside of it.

#14 3-28-2016 1:19 AM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1972

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I use different kinds of bags on different types of travels.

Currently I carry this one +small daypack for holidays regardless of duration as long as no special gears such as tent and sleeping bag are not required.
http://www.hervechapelier.com/EN/tote-b … 725GP.aspx

I also own a 55L backpack (Mammut Trea Guide 55L, I think this size of this model has already been discontinued) but I only use this when I need to carry my camping gear and have a plan to spend my time mostly on the trails or camping. Bag itself is heavy but it has very good cushion on straps and back and works really great for camp hikes compared to lightweight backpacks that I owned before. However, I feel it's a bit too much for general urban-exploration kind of travels so I don't really carry this one for general holidays lately. Too big for carry-on as well.

When I'm on business trip, I carry carry-on sized suitcase with 2wheels (Rimowa Salsa Cabin). I can carry my business suits without having wrinkles on in this bag and 2wheels helps a lot when I need to carry heavy catalogs and brochures back to office.

#15 4-19-2016 4:05 AM

AlTheElf
Al
Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 8

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I currently have a Trespass one similar to this one http://www.trespass.com/trek-66-litre-rucksack-black

I second what others have said that you can't really go wrong with an Osprey. Great backpacks.

Last edited by AlTheElf (4-19-2016 4:06 AM)

#16 4-23-2016 12:25 PM

quasar1
Leuven, Belgium
Posts: 3

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

The smaller the handbag on smaller aircraft, the better....too many delays when overhead bins are full....

#17 4-23-2016 1:12 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I am an urban traveller and I don't do camping or such...just day hikes. Any bag that is comfortable works pretty much for this type of travel, but if you have full size camera gear, most bags won't have enough padding or protection for a camera without its own bag. A smaller rig may work.

Now my carry on/day is a Swiss Gear/Wenger Maxxum that at 19inch/47-48cm height it is what I need because my back is thck and my shoulder girdle is big. Some bags almost break at the constant on/off if you are large so this one does well so far. I live out of my bag regularly.

That REI bag posted by kayguarnay has me curious as a non computer bag though.....

#18 6-13-2016 2:33 AM

JeffGreen
Jeffery
Posts: 16

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

Im even thinking about getting one of these bags now!! thanks for asking the question instead of me GMendoza.

#19 6-13-2016 3:31 AM

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

Slight OT: I have just experienced similar issues of having to repack and transfer stuff between bags on my last trip.

This time, it was with Jetstar, a low cost carrier (LCC) based out of Australia and a subsidiary of Qantas and other entities. There are now affiliate Jetstar companies in Singapore (Jetstar Asia, IATA code 3K), Japan (Jetstar Japan, IATA code GK), Vietnam (Jetstar Pacific, IATA code BL) in addition to the one out of Australia (IATA code JQ). They advertise their luggage add-ons quite well, and they impose strict controls, too.

For example - each passenger has the option to purchase luggage (e.g. 15 kg, 20 kg, etc.) in multiple quantities, or none at all (which means they have only the 7 kg handcarry limit. Let's say there are two passengers, and each purchased 15 kg for a total of 30 kg between both passengers. Normally most airlines would just add the two and get the 30 kg total and assign it across all passengers, but in Jetstar's case, they will insist that each piece of luggage assigned to different individuals is 15 kg. So what now if the passengers have 20 kg and 10 kg pieces of luggage? I had an inkling that they'd do something like this, so I used mostly 25-26" suitcases which can carry from 30-40 lbs. I think they'd charge excess baggage for the 20 kg in that scenario - that means each passenger should purchase luggage as they indicate so online (because there are many options).

Now in the case of carry on luggage, it's usually 7 kg for one piece no more than 45 linear inches (22"x14"x9"), and your personal item (laptop bag, handbag, purse or umbrella). Most people would sneak a few more kg in their personal item, but with Jetstar, they will weight handcarry either at checkin (and then provide each item with a sticker tag), or at the boarding gates (they pull out bathroom type scales for this). They also warn passengers not to shop too much at Duty Free (because Duty Free items are considered part of the passenger's personal item).

According to their website, this is how much they charge for excess kilos, but I usually carry a portable weighing scale and shift contents of each bag between the luggage pool. Not to mention I was asked by Jetstar counter staff to move 2 kg from a 9 kg back onto another bag which had only 5 kg.

I would think EasyJet and RyanAir are similar to these in terms of carry on requirements, and so travelers should plan in advance which handcarry items and bags they will be using. On another note, I can say that AirAsia is more lenient with carry on items, as I've seen friends bring on 55 liter backpacks which normally would have been checked in.

So my advice would be to get relatively light handcarry bags (under 3 kg if possible) so that you still have 4 kg for your clothes and personal stuff!

#20 6-17-2016 5:07 AM

marsist
Bulgaria
Posts: 2

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

One of the most important tools in our travel bag from possible burden on us should be light and handy . I use 15kg bag.

#21 7-23-2016 1:30 AM

courtneyhumphreys
Posts: 24

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

Proper bag packing is the main thing in any tour. Full complete your bag packing you must check your bag finally when you remove your house. Because all personal materials are include in your bag. Your dress,laptop, camera,toilet goods,foods all thing are definitely include your bag. Always carry those type of bag which is comfortable for carry.Keep your bag weight to light,if you going to mountain tracking.

#22 9-3-2016 4:17 PM

Y2JayDoesAsia
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 14

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

My carry on bag is always a backpack, not a small suitcase, when I travel, the suitcase lives at the hotel, and the backpack somewtimes comes with me during the day (wherever I'm going), sounds overly simple but is very practical.

#23 10-13-2016 12:41 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 410

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I use a Lexon fold-up duffel bag. It almost weighs nothing and material is extremely strong (my dog has put that to the test already). It folds up into a small ball which is perfect for me because on my outbound flights I almost never have any hand luggage, so I just put the folded bag in my main luggage.
I have a similar backpack which Is probably my most useful piece of luggage. It also folds up into a tiny ball but is by a different brand, Camp Master I think it was. I use that if I take day trips.

#24 10-17-2016 4:22 AM

john21wall
john
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, United Kingdom
Posts: 1

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

I try to do as much carry-on as possible, but I must admit that when I know I’ll be staying in the same place for a week or so, I still tend to overpack…

#25 12-18-2016 6:52 AM

traveldoc1984
Calvin
Johnson City, Tennessee
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 120

Re: What is your Carry on bag?

Osprey CyberPort backpack in the overhead bin. I usually plane side a dufflebag because I don't (usually) feel like dealing with checking-in luggage.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer