#51 3-19-2016 8:14 PM

monkeymia79
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 212

I agree.

#52 3-23-2016 10:20 PM

Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: The Spambuster Club

What do these members have in common?

http://www.travbuddy.com/nancy-g (member has been removed from the site)

They were all created in Jan 2016 and mention a website called routeperfect. Notice similarity in structure of names 'nancy-g' and 'daina-e' too.

- Jackiewil has a review of Berlin mentioning routeperfect in the review and in a photo
- Lauradelores & nancy-g comment on Jackiewil review of Berlin mentioning routeperfect
- nancy-g had a couple blogs with links to routeperfect (several links actually)
- Lauradelores mentions routeperfect as a great site in a forum post
- daina-e has a london blog mentioning routeperfect, which Jackiewil commented on

These members have no substantial profile info. I just mention this as a warning to perhaps be wary of these members and be skeptical when routeperfect is brought up here on TravBuddy. Maybe is a fine website, but we don't need this sort of trickery here to be aware of it. Maybe my post here just brings attention to the website.  I'm not so concerned about the routeperfect site itself as I am the the people who come here in deceptive ways with ulterior motives. I think this collection of users above may be  spammers, more sophisticated in social engineering than we are used to.

#53 4-3-2016 12:14 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1316

spocklogic wrote:

Are this users reviews considered spam?

Obviously by the user name and website link on profile page the user is touting their business, but the reviews may have some value. They are not terribly spammy in trying to glorify themselves.

Thoughts?

I wanted to take a look but I guess no.2 already has been removed as spam
Don't think the remaining ones are spam though

#54 4-3-2016 4:48 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Thanks for your input, Stephanie. Melanie thought the same. The one that was removed was touting their travel packages too much.

#55 4-3-2016 4:52 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Update on above post regarding touting routeperfect. The user daina-e has a new profile picture. As I'm already suspicious of this members motives, I did a google search of the image and the photo turned up on an anti-scammer website. See this link:

http://dating-fraud.net/galerie/thumbna … ?album=451

Also, her blog on "How to plan a Trip to Portugal" is plagiarized from these sites:
http://www.duffelbagspouse.com/2015/11/ … gs.HT78qzc
http://www.portugaltravelholidays.pt/en … ieces.html

Last edited by spocklogic (4-3-2016 5:02 PM)

#56 4-3-2016 8:10 PM

Meriden, Connecticut
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: The Spambuster Club

Brian, you are quite the detective!

#57 4-3-2016 10:26 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

I hate scammers & spammers - They're lowlife! I report what I find here in this forum so others can participate with 'report as spam' and get them out of here. Some of these spammers & scammers try to look legit for a time, but are up to no good here eventually. I endeavor to prevent whatever they are up to and help protect the community here. The more people who participate in reporting spam here, the more effective we are in keeping the site free from their nefarious activities.

#58 4-4-2016 9:26 AM

Re: The Spambuster Club

I agree...  some of them are fairly obvious, but some can be really sneaky!  I check for spam every time I log on.  Hijacking this useful site to promote their own agendas, is simply unacceptable.   Keep up the good work!

#59 4-9-2016 4:54 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 407

Re: The Spambuster Club

Spammers have no business here on TravBuddy.  They clearly have MAPS all backwards!

smile

#60 4-12-2016 3:50 PM

haha!    Right?

vances wrote:

smile

#61 4-26-2016 3:33 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

In the last few days I've received 6 PM's from member soukeyna and 2 PM's from member jessica99:

The messages say they have something important to share/tell me and contain a hotmail address for contacting them. Advice it not just to delete such PM's, but report the messages as spam. I go extra and report their profiles as spam too. It takes more than one or two members reporting this stuff to get them booted here, so take the tiime to report such things and get these spammer/scammers off the site.

#62 4-26-2016 5:09 PM

spocklogic wrote:

I got a couple of Unsolicited PMs from Soukeyna and have reported as spam, including the profile. I've also warned TravBuddies about the same. It seems Jessica hasn't discovered me yet? :p

#63 4-27-2016 12:13 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Visalia, California
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 5483

Re: The Spambuster Club

In the last couple of weeks since coming back to TravBuddy I have noticed that there are a bunch of people signing up with advertising.  And they are lots of different things, not just travel related.  Does reporting them as spam  do any good?  Are Eric and David spending time looking at reported spam or is there something else we as good members can do to help the situation?

#64 4-27-2016 3:46 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Like many things on TravBuddy, the spam is taken care of by an automated algorithm. Reviews, of course, come up for spam review, but members can get reviews in the spam queue by giving them a 'No' vote for helpful/trustworthy. You can see them come up for review almost immediately. Just manually check for spam and that review will appear for you to vote on. Other reviews, especially those with smiles and comments, are generally not affected by a 'No' vote. Once a review has some smiles or comments it's usually here to stay unless Eric removes it himself. That covers reviews, but what else can be done?

Profiles that contain advertising - report profile as spam as quickly as possible
Members who write spam blogs - report profile as spam as quickly as possible

I do these things regularly when I can. It is time sensitive I think, and the longer a spam profile or blog has been around, the harder it is to get it removed. Stuff that is reported same day is usually quickly removed. We as members have to keep on top of this because spam is not being removed by hand, but by an automated method. If spam is not reported it certainly won't get removed.

This is part of the reason I created this forum thread, to raise awareness for member vigilance against scammer/spammers. Questionable spam can also be discussed here. After all, we don't want to be unfair in in cases that may be borderline.

#65 4-27-2016 4:56 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17593

Re: The Spambuster Club

I'm inclined to report anything I see as spam straight away. I think in most cases both it and the spammer are deleted fairly quickly. Other than reporting them, spam, spammers and forum spam and trolls should be completely ignored.

I have also set my privacy so that only my Travbuddy friends can send me private messages. This blocks spam messages.

#66 4-28-2016 12:06 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Brian - a few questions to you, although if Eric and David were to reply, that would definitely be great...

Having read what you said, if I were a spammer, I could already think about how to go around the system with reviews. Of course, it takes time to build a reputation before one gets second thoughts from the others about being a spammer. We even have cases of local male TravBuddies sending PMs to ladies who are part of our traveling party to a specific country, with offers to fetch them from the airport and the like...whereas us guys don't get a single message! Of course, that ultimately isn't spam but some other twisted idea from real people who want to get cozy with others in a different way.

One spammer as we know, was even able to get a MHHR award and a few of us congratulated him. I think he was eventually removed or became inactive. What I do notice is that many spammers are not well versed in English, or they are generally copying and pasting reviews or advertising into blogs and the like. In addition to the spammers who send PMs and ask us to reply to a specific hotmail or yahoo address, I think some are out there to harvest legitimate email accounts. I've received a handful of such messages, but always end up reporting them as spam. Others may not be as vigilant so hopefully they get to read the exchange on this forum thread.

Now I am tempted to report people who don't make sense on the forum as spammers. Especially the ones who make one liners which don't make sense. I noticed one such new forumer who has nothing in the profile and yet comments on the forums ... Although it was reported this forumer has 5 posts, when I checked again it was down to 2 posts which looked more relevant as replies. So I don't know if the forumer removed the irreverent posts or the moderator deleted it.

Speaking about irreverent posts, how do we deal with trolls aside from ignoring them? (Of course there is always moderation by Francis to fall back to). Some trolls are lacking in terms of respect for the other forumers, and obviously the post can be reported. Are those automatically deleted by the algorithm or intervention from Francis, Eric or David is still needed?

In contrast to Francis, I don't set my privacy re PMs to friends only. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to report spammers big_smile

#67 4-28-2016 12:43 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17593

Re: The Spambuster Club

On last sentence, why not?

#68 4-28-2016 1:40 PM

fransglobal wrote:

On last sentence, why not?

Because I love busting Spammers big_smile Some people enjoy playing Good Cop on forums. I steer clear though of those links that they provide, obviously due to the risk of viruses and other phishing schemes.

Of course, you as moderator have more equally important duties for this site as well. Cheers!

#69 4-28-2016 6:23 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Nolan - I think some spammers (a small fraction) try to look legitimate by making a few forum posts, but like you say, they usually don't make sense or are out of context. Sometimes they are to promote a website, like the one called routeperfect I have mentioned, and people promoting this may be spammers. Regarding forum trolls, ignoring them is the best policy as Francis says, but their posts can be reported  as "Spam / Inappropriate". I have done this on occasion when I think a forum post is spammy, but usually ignore the inappropriate and leave it to moderation. I haven't really followed whether those forum posts I reported were removed or not. I assume it takes a certain number of reports to trigger the algorithm, but don't know that number. I think not many TravBuddy's bother reporting spam, and that's a personal choice. Every time I sign in I check the 'Recently Updated Blogs and Reviews' and report spammy blogs or give a 'No' helpful/trustworthy vote to reviews. I also have a look at new members and report any profiles that are just advertisement for something. Sometimes if I don't sign in for a couple days I notice the spam tends to build up, so feel like I'm one of the few doing this regularly. We just need more awareness in the community to watch out, spend a few minutes looking for this stuff to report, and get spammy stuff removed same day. This may discourage the spammers more.

#70 4-29-2016 2:14 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Over half a dozen spam posts in the forum. Need help reporting the spammers.

As I mentioned in the past, spammers are going for the forums. Eric and David should include reporting forum spam towards the spambuster award. That should make more people get the award faster.

#71 4-30-2016 5:19 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1363

Re: The Spambuster Club

I have reported a lot of spams at the forums today,but these guys seems to be coming back with the same stuf over and over again

#72 4-30-2016 2:29 PM

Re: The Spambuster Club

I generally report their profiles as spam too. These are the members recently posting forum spam:

#73 5-5-2016 10:16 PM

monkeymia79
Posts: 212

#74 5-6-2016 5:55 AM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Thanks for pointing them out, I've reported them as spam as well.

If we do this more often on this thread I think we can remove spammer profiles much faster.

#75 5-8-2016 1:37 AM

Re: The Spambuster Club

Need to get rid of this one quite fast. Wondering if he/she has links to hacker group Anonymous:

Board footer