#1 3-6-2015 12:56 PM

Sightseer
Posts: 59

Rough it out or luxury?

So guys,

What do you prefer in a trip, "rough it out" or "luxury"?

Rough it out = as cheap as possible so long you see all the sites and do all the things on your list in a particular place.

Luxury = Don't care about cost too much, just want a nice 4/5 star hotel, go premium or first class on flights, do "pricey" "non-essential" activities (say a helicopter ride or jumping on a taxi rather than using public transport).

For me personally it depends on the place. Say Dubai I'd go "luxury" but for somewhere like NY, probably no need.

#2 3-6-2015 4:17 PM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3261

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Somewhere between these extremes for me.

#3 3-6-2015 5:44 PM

jethanad
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 566

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

I always prepare a budget for my trips. If I am apprehensive about out-of-control expenses , then I tend to over-compensate and rough it out.

We had a layover in Paris for one night, but the hotels were way too expensive and the bus to the city was also expensive, there were four of us. Had it been less expensive, we could have really enjoyed Paris at night.

#4 3-6-2015 6:10 PM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 452

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

I tend to rough it to stretch my money longer, plus when I travel alone it's easier to meet people in hostels than hotels, but I'm also a fan of staying somewhere luxurious. If I'm on a short trip and travelling with someone I like to splash out, if I can get a good deal on a top hotel.

#5 3-7-2015 1:19 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5856

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

If it was a scale of one (total roughing it) to 10 (total luxury), maybe a 6 for most trips. If roughing it is the only way to see something (like hiking and camping or staying in huts) I'll do it, and I have been known to splash on a luxury hotel for a night or two, but mostly I'm happy in the middle. It does depend on the trip, who I'm with (I'm more likely to go to a nicer hotel if I'm with my husband, who likes chilling out by the pool, than if I'm alone because I spend almost no time in hotels on solo trips), but I never liked dorms and I don't fancy couch surfing. And I'm shorter of time than I used to be. So if there's a slow bus that takes all day, or a more expensive flight that gets me there in an hour or two, it's worth the money for the flight to buy back the time.

#6 3-7-2015 1:49 AM

L_abroad
Posts: 30

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Depends on how much time I have. Right now I work a lot and have less time to travel, so when I go somewhere, I'll spend whatever money is necessary to travel exactly as I want. If I travel for longer, I'll cut back and live more simply.

Definitely agree with Sarah on saving time where possible. That's worth a lot.

#7 3-7-2015 1:58 AM

jenbob12
Jenny
Twickenham, England
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 24

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Somewhere in between for me too. I must have my own room and bathroom, then I compare the prices for different locations and luxuries. I tend to spend more on activities and experiences. I try to think of it as "If I'm only here once, what would I regret not doing".

#8 3-7-2015 6:09 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1271

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Me too, somewhere in the middle, most important the place is clean, for some places that means 4/5 star but most of the times 2/3 is enough

#9 3-7-2015 8:21 AM

nolan
Posts: 3690

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

It will depend on who my traveling companions are. If with the family, then more towards luxury unless there are many of us which blows away the budget...if just two, then more towards the luxury experience.

If with TravBuddies, then it depends on their traveling style. Usually it is halfway between both extremes - which is perfectly fine with me.

If by myself, it depends but I will probably rough it up - since I don't have that much expectations to meet except those by myself.

#10 3-7-2015 10:13 AM

surfoz
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 904

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

I've flown business class on several trips from Australia to Europe and also in premium economy and economy - anything over a nine hour flight I would rather not go unless its minimum premium economy.

Hotels I don't care that much, a single room in a respectable hostel is good enough - but if I can afford it I would always take as luxurious as possible. For me it doesn't prove anything by roughing it.

One thing I used to refuse to do was catch a cab from the airport to my accommodation, I always felt it was a waste of dosh - nowadays am happy to get a cab haha

#11 3-7-2015 11:40 AM

fafafooooey
Thor
Princeton, New Jersey
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 114

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

At hotels, usually a complimentary continental breakfast will do for a quick bite and out the door. Free Wi-Fi is always a plus.

#12 3-7-2015 12:03 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 9690

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

For me, it is a mixture.
For accommodations, I will go with lowest price.  Example: In Warsaw, the hostels were all about $20, but I was able to get a nice hotel for $35.  In Cairo, the hotels were all going for $75 and up, but I got a hostel for $8.

Unless I am in a hurry or it does not run early enough, I will always take public transport over a taxi.

For flights, I do not pay anything.  It is standby travel and I will always choose a flight in which I can get business class for long haul flights.  For short flights, I do not care really.

#13 3-7-2015 7:38 PM

travel_geek
Toronto, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 364

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

I can still rough it out if I have to.  But now, I prefer to have the creature comforts.

#14 3-8-2015 12:53 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 578

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Depends on how much time , travel solo or with friends or Family , work etc.

i prefer stay in 4 stars hotels but in work i stay at 5 stars hotels .

but some times in   three or two stars hotels if  i travel solo & i have short trip

#15 3-8-2015 1:40 AM

MNMark
Mark
Cambridge, Minnesota
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 254

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

By your definitions probably roughing it. I prefer Airbnb over hotels, enjoy trying out local places to eat and drink, use public transport to get around and book economy for very cheap or free on miles or fire sales and might upgrade depending on cost (miles or $)

I rarely feel like I'm roughing it though ... too me roughing it is strapping a tent to your backpack, using your thumb for transportation and your spare socks as toilet paper because it rained and your rolls are mush.

#16 3-8-2015 12:57 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 2025

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Depends where I am and who I'm with.
If its just me then I am on a budget the whole time as I'm pushing every dollar to stay longer so the cheaper the better. I would generally stay in a hotel for a night or two every two weeks. I enjoy roughing it; it makes you feel like you accomplished something.

If I am with my partner then it would be shorter trips but hotels the entire way. Either way neither of us have money to burn on things like helicopter rides.

Many of the places I have been it is not about the level of accommodation, it is more about is there any accommodation?. Often you have the choice of one hotel or sleep on the street.

#17 3-9-2015 7:43 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1617

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

As long as there are clean beds, sheets and hot water...I'm good. Luxury hotels are nice now and again. I have done cold water showers even on some islands. But the tent type stuff......not for me. No camping unless we are just out all night having fun..eventually there must be a bed to crawl back to!

#18 3-11-2015 9:04 AM

robmer11
Bob
San Diego, California
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 107

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

I have done both and sometimes in between.  I love getting a lot for my money, but I also enjoy luxury when I can afford it.  I would suggest, if your budget allows it, to try both.  You can experience meeting different kinds of people when you travel at different levels on your trip.  I love meeting both people with plenty of money and people without a lot of money.  Mix it up if you can.

#19 3-11-2015 5:17 PM

paganmom
Katrina
Maricopa, Arizona
Award: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 124

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Most of my travel is for work so my flights are business class and that's the way I like it on anything over 6 hours. I'm too tall for economy seats and feel like shit if I cram into a seat very long.

However, even with my business travel I try to avoid upscale operations. I love hostels, even at my age. Street food is a passion and that is where I meet the real people and learn about them and their country.

#20 3-19-2015 5:54 PM

ryanmorgan319
Ryan
Monroe, New York
Posts: 8

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Gotta make a solid budget so you have money to EAT WELL smile haha thats the worst is when your trips turns into a survival mission. I say go luxury  and go all inclusive so food and drinks are always there for you. From there you can make plans for your journey

#21 3-20-2015 2:48 AM

mosted
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1021

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

3-4 Star most of the time. I need it clean and I dont want to share a bathroom.

#22 3-20-2015 10:11 AM

Dante24
Ashan
London, England
Posts: 4

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

For me it depends on the destination and what experience i'm going for. when I was in Croatia I had a mixture 3-4 star hotels in hvar but took a road trip through to albania and stayed wherever we found a 'decent' looking hotel.

#23 3-20-2015 11:11 PM

mmeymey
maya
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 120

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

well most of my trip in the rough part, because if it's luxury I tend not to going anywhere to explore the destination :p too lazy because too comfort

#24 3-21-2015 3:12 AM

ximonli
Sightseer
Posts: 59

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Interesting..I never thought of it that way. But looking back...yea i probably wanted to go back to the hotel because it was very nice and seemed a bit of a waste not being there. Making me rethink about spending "too much" on hotels now smile

mmeymey wrote:

#25 3-24-2015 8:59 AM

ms_travelr
Mikiko
Bergen, Netherlands
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 131

Re: Rough it out or luxury?

Alittle of both I guess.  It all depends on where I go and the person I'm travelling with.  For exotic destinations (depending on the budget)  I tend to go towards luxury such as a resort with a seaside/mountain view. And I try to do alot of the activities that are offered in the area. Since I don't have an unlimited bank account I do have to save for this type of vacation.   On the  flip side, I also enjoy camping and cooking dinner over a Bunsen burner.  Though I have to admit that after a long mountain hike or ski run it's nice to relax in a sauna :-)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer