#26 7-6-2015 1:47 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Of the list you guys have mentioned, how many, in terms of percentage, have you met and NOT kept in touch?

#27 7-7-2015 7:31 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

trippin_jen wrote:

Of the list you guys have mentioned, how many, in terms of percentage, have you met and NOT kept in touch?

I've met quite a few in large meetups where we weren't able to exchange Facebook or WhatsApp messages and haven't followed on. Probably that comprises the bulk of the people I have met and not kept in touch. Some people I've met more than a year or two ago I only manage to keep in touch after such a long period. So percentage wise, maybe 10-20% of those I've met I haven't managed to keep in touch with since the meetup.

One thing does stand out in another list of mine - people I have kept in touch with but haven't met at all. Top on that list is a lady named Jenny Y. from Kuantan who has missed two opportunities to meet me when I was in KL last November 2014. tongue This time I will probably be in KL twice towards the end of the year and my immediate goal is to meet this elusive lady wink

#28 7-8-2015 7:47 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Lol!! I guess this lady needs to live up to her reputation of being an elusive one. Good luck on that! :p

#29 7-8-2015 12:43 PM

DAZMAN50
darren
Liverpool, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I have met loads of genuine people from this sight.I am rubbish at keeping in touch but I have made friends for life from going to meetups and meeting like minded people.Some of the meets are small and some are huge but this does not matter.What matters is everyone at the meets are open to meeting new people and new experiences.I don't do facebook or any other social media but I will pop up from time to time at meetups and I can guarantee the new friends I meet will one day be my old friends smile Aint that correct Mr Spocklogic? smile

trippin_jen wrote:

Last edited by DAZMAN50 (7-8-2015 2:52 PM)

#30 7-8-2015 6:55 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

trippin_jen wrote:

Lol!! I guess this lady needs to live up to her reputation of being an elusive one. Good luck on that! :p

Once I catch this elusive lady I will get her a drink. tongue

#31 7-8-2015 8:55 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

DAZMAN50 wrote:

I have met loads of genuine people from this sight.I am rubbish at keeping in touch but I have made friends for life from going to meetups and meeting like minded people.Some of the meets are small and some are huge but this does not matter.What matters is everyone at the meets are open to meeting new people and new experiences.I don't do facebook or any other social media but I will pop up from time to time at meetups and I can guarantee the new friends I meet will one day be my old friends smile Aint that correct Mr Spocklogic? smile

Aye, Captain! Sometimes the spontaneous meetup works out well rather than too much planning ahead. Strangers in a strange land meeting and then parting, but never parted. Friendships are made that way...

#32 7-9-2015 2:59 AM

DAZMAN50
darren
Liverpool, England
Wanderer

Spontaneity gives me inspiration,the devine breath (Espíritu) Its what i strive for and it works for me smile 

spocklogic wrote:

DAZMAN50 wrote:

Aye, Captain! Sometimes the spontaneous meetup works out well rather than too much planning ahead. Strangers in a strange land meeting and then parting, but never parted. Friendships are made that way...

#33 7-10-2015 9:41 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

DAZMAN50 wrote:

trippin_jen wrote:

Well new friends you meet, will sure getting old each day even they will keep in touch or not. big_smile

#34 7-11-2015 12:29 AM

nolan
Explorer

Who else here keeps a blog of his/her TravBuddy meetups?

Share the links so we can meet more new TravBuddy friends!

#35 7-11-2015 1:14 AM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

nolan wrote:

Have a difficulty to share my fav travbuddy haha

#36 7-11-2015 7:50 AM

nolan
Explorer

TravChef wrote:

nolan wrote:

Have a difficulty to share my fav travbuddy haha

If there's a will, there's a way tongue

#37 7-11-2015 9:48 AM

DAZMAN50
darren
Liverpool, England
Wanderer

As long as we stay young at heart princess smile

TravChef wrote:

DAZMAN50 wrote:

trippin_jen wrote:

Well new friends you meet, will sure getting old each day even they will keep in touch or not. big_smile

#38 7-13-2015 7:01 PM

kingdeepee
Derrick
México DF, Mexico
Couch Potato

I am new to the site. Never done a meetup. I joined to find out information on places I have to travel to for work. But it has been interesting so far, and I plan on using the site more often.

#39 7-13-2015 11:40 PM

nolan
Explorer

kingdeepee wrote:

I am new to the site. Never done a meetup. I joined to find out information on places I have to travel to for work. But it has been interesting so far, and I plan on using the site more often.

Maximizing the site entails more than just looking up information on the places you are visiting. It also means understanding better the person behind the blog or review, as well as other travelers.

I would recommend you go through the threads in the forum with topics that interest you - it doesn't always have to be a destination, and advice especially from people's area of expertise is welcome.

For instance, I don't know that many people in Uruguay - as you're there right now, you want want to write a blog or review a hotel/restaurant where you have stayed/eaten at recently. The more one participates in TravBuddy, the more interaction happens and it gets more fun thereafter.

Oh, and speaking of meetups, just browse the meetup section or create a thread of your own. Sometimes people will just make trips to a particular place to meet other TravBuddies and to explore together. The meetups are my favorite part - I have organized a lot of one-on-ones all the way to a 30+ person meetup - each has its own degree of fun and you get to learn a lot from the other TBs.

Last edited by nolan (7-13-2015 11:42 PM)

#40 9-8-2015 9:21 AM

nolan
Explorer

Anyone else want to share his/her experiences with TravBuddy meetups?

#41 10-6-2015 10:10 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

nolan wrote:

Anyone else want to share his/her experiences with TravBuddy meetups?

Thanks for the previous refresh, Nolan. Another refresh to see if anyone else is interested in sharing about their meetups here. Surely many TravBuddy's have meetups to share here so others can hear about them...

#42 10-7-2015 10:12 AM

Andy99
Andrew
Springfield, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

My Washington, DC, blog includes entries on my meetups with TravBuddys visiting Washington, DC, over the years. I have to say that, with a few exceptions, most of the TravBuddys I have met in person have vanished from the site! (I'm glad Brian is not one of the vanished!)

#43 10-8-2015 9:40 AM

Chokk
Christian
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic VAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

big_smile

#44 10-11-2015 12:23 AM

MNMark
Mark
Cambridge, Minnesota
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Never happen to be in the right place at the right time for a meetup. I did catch up with denisx in Ft. Worth while visiting for work and shared some travel stories over a few beers. Good time, then he immortalized me looking like an asshole.

Up for a repeat, no camera's.

#45 10-16-2015 1:02 AM

halilee
Hali
Regina, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Have had many many many small group meet ups already, but for the big ones that were at least 10+ people:

May 2013- Huge Bali meetup
Nov 2014- nepal
Nov 2014- Huge Kuala Lumpur
Nov 2014- Sri Lanka
Feb 2015- huge Bangkok
April 2015- huge London

Hoping for 8-10 people at the Lisbon meetup this weekend! 😄

I'll also add, I've kept in touch with a lot of the TB'ers I've met, but I also make an effort to do so. I keep re-meeting them lol. Not sure of exact numbers, but I'd say most!

Last edited by halilee (10-16-2015 1:03 AM)

#46 10-16-2015 6:45 AM

nolan
Explorer

halilee wrote:

Have had many many many small group meet ups already, but for the big ones that were at least 10+ people:

May 2013- Huge Bali meetup
Nov 2014- nepal
Nov 2014- Huge Kuala Lumpur
Nov 2014- Sri Lanka
Feb 2015- huge Bangkok
April 2015- huge London

Hoping for 8-10 people at the Lisbon meetup this weekend! 😄

I'll also add, I've kept in touch with a lot of the TB'ers I've met, but I also make an effort to do so. I keep re-meeting them lol. Not sure of exact numbers, but I'd say most!

With the kind and duration of travel that you're doing, Hali - you are sure bound to have a lot of meetups with the new and already-familiar (I'd rather not say old).

10 seems to be a magical number to attain to call it bigger than the usual - I've noticed many of my meetups especially those in the Philippines number between 6-10 people. And for the ones that we organize while traveling - 15 to 25 is the average.

#47 10-16-2015 8:08 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

halilee wrote:

Post some links to blog entries of those meetups, Hali, if you would like to. I try to encourage that here so people don't have to go hunting for them. Most people will probably have a look if links are give, but only some will take the time to go searching, especially if there are a lot of blogs to look through. I, and some other members, have a special blog with entries related just to meetups. This is convenient for having them all in one place and easy to refer to.

#48 10-20-2015 1:14 AM

halilee
Hali
Regina, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

spocklogic wrote:

halilee wrote:

Post some links to blog entries of those meetups, Hali, if you would like to. I try to encourage that here so people don't have to go hunting for them. Most people will probably have a look if links are give, but only some will take the time to go searching, especially if there are a lot of blogs to look through. I, and some other members, have a special blog with entries related just to meetups. This is convenient for having them all in one place and easy to refer to.

I've been tardy and don't even have my England and Ireland photos/blog even up yet, but when I get home in 2 weeks I'll put up some links, and new blogs with pics, including Lisbon meetup 😊

#49 10-20-2015 8:39 AM

holdmyhandsforever
Noel
Makati City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I joined Travbuddy in May 2010. Thanks to my former office mates Ate Joe (marynel17), Chicqui (chicqui_heart) and LC (leonare). I feel sad coz they're not active

The first TB member I met was Kuya Ted (ted332) over a cup of coffee in June 2010. He's the first one who motivated me to keep on discovering the world. He's such a nice guy!

The first TB Meet Up I attended was the first Travbuddy Philippines' Christmas Party on December 2010. Darlene (darlenemartin) and Winnie (fooprick) organized the event. Aside from Kuya Ted, among the TBs I met there were: Ryan (RyanLondon), Andrei (aacalizo), Melissa (canadianbornfilipina), JR (JeAr), Huck (huck), Andy (noname16), Lulu (lulu4780), Kru (kcru777), Zeke (zekepaulino), and Elle (ellekape). I remember, a group of Couch Surfers 'gate crashed' the party.  Twas fun!

Other TBs I met on several meet ups were Cathy (cookiecandy22), Mitch (stanleysingle), Ms A (mymushroom), Vivian (coffeeprincess), Kuya Nolan (nolan) Doc Ime (docime30), etc.

Most of them are my friends on Facebook too. smile

Looking for more TB Meet Ups soon, locally and internationally. smile

#50 10-20-2015 11:52 PM

petersindac
Peter
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

2011-April      ~ Easter Meet Up in Manila organized by Steven (Baliw-Katok) with 15+TB’s

2012-Dec.         ~ TB Christmas Party in Manila organized by Ella (Filipiniana) with 20+TB’s

2013-March    ~ Huge Travbuddy Meet UP in Bangkok organized by Jamal with 20+ TB’s

2014-April      ~ Huge Bali Meet Up organized by Sisca with 15+ TB’s

2014-Dec.         ~ TBNYE Party in Hong Kong 2015 organized by Wouter with 30+ TB’s

2014-July         ~ Holiday Meet Up in Dubai by Shaylla with 10+ TB’s

2015-March    ~ Wedding Meet Up in KL by Vanessa with 15+ TB

And a lot more mini meet-ups I attended and some are organized by myself. Looking forward to more meet ups next year… big_smile

Board footer