#1 2-9-2015 4:09 PM

Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4503

TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Thought I would start this topic to compile TravBuddy Meetups - Who was there, When it was, and Where it was? Tell a story or stories of it if desired too. If it was a largish one and you were the organizer, then say so. Provide relevant links to the meetups as well if also desired. I thought this might provide a nice resource to TravBuddy's  and offer some entertainment value too perhaps. Ok, I will start, and my meetups are smallish is size, but any size is welcome here.

1.) Andy (Andy99) - Washington, DC, USA - Nov. 8, 2011
Andy (Andy99)

2.) Ian (Dr_Seuss)* - Glasgow, Scotland - Sept. 12, 2012
My First Attempt At Being A Tour Guide big_smile
Getting Around Glasgow
Ian (Dr_Seuss)

3.) Jantima (TravChef), Sharon (CA-Sharon) & Tong (sansan) - Beijing, China - Nov. 14, 2013
Visiting Mao TB Meetup
TravBuddy Meet-up VI
Duck de Chine
Jantima (TravChef), Sharon (CA-Sharon) & Tong (sansan)

4.) Darren (Dazman50) & Tong (sansan) - Shanghai, China - Nov. 15, 2014
Whale of a Tale
MIT Catering
Darren (Dazman50) & Tong (sansan)

Note: If a TravBuddy is an Eleven Heaven member I have denoted them with a * after their name. This post was inspired by Nolan (nolan) who was wondering about Meetups and if there were any that had more than 5 EH members attending (Ref: The Eleven Heaven Club forum topic). It got me to wondering (in general) about all TravBuddy's and the Who, When & Where they had meetups.

There is no set format for how you list the Who, When & Where, and we'll just let it be 'freestyle' and have fun with it! Maybe enjoy some links and/or related stories too...

Last edited by spocklogic (2-9-2015 4:24 PM)

#2 2-10-2015 6:02 AM

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Brian, thanks for bringing this as a separate post - hopefully people will realize that one of the biggest advantages of TravBuddy over any other travel group website is the COMMUNITY itself - which is enhanced by meetups.

Pardon me if I'm lazy to enumerate the details but I have a blog section dedicated just for my meetups - http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/106051/ (note though that this is viewable only by my friends on TravBuddy due to privacy issues that others requested for controls)

and my inspiration for this is Yasuyo* (Eleven Heaven Member as well) because she had over 50 entries on her Osaka meetup blog when I paid attention to the meetups in earnest.

As I am a relative latecomer to TravBuddy, I have missed the opportunity to meet Mark* (travelman727) in one of his numerous meetups sad . I just stumbled upon his 8 country meetup tour blog, and would also like to do something similar when time and finances allow.

So here's a quick summary for me:

> I joined TravBuddy in March 2012. Wasn't active the first few months and only decided to pay serious attention in November 2012.
> First meetup was with Natalie* (travellinchic) last December 13, 2012 in Manila.
> Next meetup was on April 20, 2013 with Steven (baliw-katok) where Cathy (cookiecandy22) asked me to organize (my first time to do so). Over 20 attended and so I have enjoyed organizing meetps since then.
> 2014 was when I was organizing meetups at the rate of one a month or more (e.g. December 2014 we had 3 meetups in Manila)
> February 15, 2014 was the first international meetup (held abroad) which I organized together with Jon* (northlight). We will have the anniversary of this meetup in a few days smile

I reckon I have met about a hundred or so TravBuddies through meetups since then. And I don't want to end there, next target is 200 TravBuddies within the next couple of years. Hmmmm...let me think about creating my own list of TravBuddies I've met.

Note: I have also denoted Eleven Heaven members with an asterisk * It seems that many milestones with TravBuddy have happened for me with an EH member smile

#3 2-11-2015 6:40 PM

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Thanks for following up, Nolan, and getting things going here with your post - Good summary! A blog dedicated to meetups is good to have and I have one too - Spocklogic's TravBuddy Meetups. Others are encouraged to post their meetup blogs here too (if they have one) or name the Who, When and Where of their meetups! Maybe we'll have to do some encouraging to TB members to bring attention & participation to this forum topic, eh?

#4 2-13-2015 10:11 AM

ilserita
Ilse
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 110

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

I joined Travbuddy in September 2011 and I have already met up with a many Travbuddies.

1. Former Travbuddy Danik organized a Big Baltic pre Meet-up in Helsinki in June 2012. We went to the Suomenlinna fortress, an UNESCO Heritage Site
At the meet-up was Danik, Vixen2306, lovetofly09, OlgaN and Patric_tea
http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/1 … lsinki-13/

2.  I met up with some Travbuddies in Oslo in June 2013 at a Travel & Run meet-up
I met former Travbuddy Jutta, ChristineN, and laufwelt
http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/1 … hon-us-10/

3. I met up with wandafromtexas in Helsinki in July 2013. We had fun and I showed her around the city

4. I met up in Finland and in Estonia with travbuddies ramit and melyjyrioo in September 2013

5. One more meet-up with former Travbuddy Jutta and laufwelt in Berlin, September 2013

6. A very quick meet-up with Haydenerg in March 2014 in Helsinki

7. Travel & Run meet-up in Reykjavik in August 2014
I met ChristineN, vances, laufwelt
http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/1 … re-FOUR-21

I think that was all the Travbuddies that I've met so far... and there will definitely be more! I hope that I will meet many Travbuddies on the upcoming Travel&Run meet-up in Dublin in August 2015! big_smile

PS. I didn't put stars after Eleven Heaven members, as I have not a clue about who is and who isn't! wink

Last edited by ilserita (2-13-2015 10:23 AM)

#5 2-16-2015 6:12 PM

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Eleven Heaven members in your meetup list are Haydenerg, Vances and Ramit. There's only 74 of them and they can be found here (http://www.travbuddy.com/awards_display.php?type=999). I wonder what ever happened to Daniel (Danik). I haven't seen him here in some time and his profile doesn't seem to exist on TB anymore, though his wife Olga's profile it still here. Too bad Jutta departed TB, but she has a wordpress blog (http://6gradost.com/) which is travel related that I follow sometimes now. Thanks for posting your meetups, Ilse!

Last edited by spocklogic (2-16-2015 6:14 PM)

#6 2-17-2015 3:03 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 6000

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

In terms of meet ups, I've only been to London 2007 and Liverpool Giants 2014 (and I was straight off an overnight flight from Entebbe for the Liverpool one and had to go home early to sleep!), but I really enjoyed both.  I've met up with Sweetski (I don't know if he's still about here?), Jenneth and Lauro on their own.

Danik's concentrating on his own website - http://www.daniktheexplorer.com/ - and although I've never met him in person we talk from time to time on Facebook.

#7 2-18-2015 12:20 AM

Travelbuddys
Dennis and Jasmyn
Landgraaf, Netherlands
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 217

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

These were the biggest we attended.

Amsterdam NYE 2008/2009
Istanbul 2013/2014 NYE
Las vegas 2015/2016 NYE

Last edited by Travelbuddys (1-6-2017 5:10 AM)

#8 2-25-2015 9:15 PM

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Mark (travelman727), who passed away in 2013, had a good collection of TravBuddy Meetups from 2007-2011, and are worth looking at. He did a nice job listing people at the meetups and providing links to other TravBuddy pages who made entries on the meetup too. Very well done in documenting his meetups. Back in those days too there was still the 'Groups' feature here on TravBuddy and people could do things within them that the forums just don't really capture. Anyway, thought I would mention Mark's TB page as he has quite the list of meetups that are well documented.

#9 3-23-2015 2:16 AM

spocklogic wrote:

Brian - tell me more about the groups feature...or has it become redundant with the increase in popularity of Facebook?

#10 3-23-2015 5:33 PM

nolan wrote:

Kind of like FB groups perhaps, but a bit different. You could post photos, links, view group news, cataloged messages from other group members and such. A user could set one up, invite certain members or members could request to join. It was all sort of an organized way of social participation in a given topic, which was convenient for Meetups as an example. Here is sort of what they looked like, and I found a few pages in the the internet archive for groups of which I was a member.

http://web.archive.org/web/201011201915 … .php?id=42
http://web.archive.org/web/201101100245 … php?id=371
http://web.archive.org/web/201101060714 … php?id=442

The Eleven Heaven Club used to be a 'Group' (by Roger) before it became a forum topic. Well, the 'Groups'  were all taken down sometime in 2012, and later Roger created the EH forum topic to replace it. Eric and David felt not enough people used 'Groups' to justify maintaining them, so they were eliminated. Eric and David wanted to eliminate the 'Lists' as well, but power users complained enough that they left them alone.

BTW - Here's the link to the forum thread about the closure of Groups and Travbuddy Roadmap about other features (or so it was in 2012 anyway) - http://www.travbuddy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=45707

Last edited by spocklogic (3-23-2015 5:47 PM)

#11 3-23-2015 10:32 PM

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Hmmm... I think groups should have been kept, as it will allow for more interaction and participation. That way the members' ranks can also be policed, so that spammers can be kept out.

I was already registered with TravBuddy in March 2012 but only became active in November 2012. Many of the people who participated a lot back then are somehow dormant in 2015.

#12 3-26-2015 3:47 AM

Aurora78
Yanti
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 879

nolan wrote:

I would be one of those dormant people. 😉 I joined in 2010; pretty active in meet ups (locally) and organised a few. I went on a hiatus from TB for about a year or two. Still attended a few meet ups but mostly smaller groups. Met up with Danik and Olga while I was in London a few years back. Nice couple. Participated in my first international huge meet up in Bangkok organised by Jamal in... 2013. Then another meet up in Bali in 2014. Keeping it to South East Asia,  for now. Attended the meet up in KL Nov '14 organised by Nolan and Jon (Northlight).  Might attend the meet up in the Philippines '16. Might. 😄

#13 3-27-2015 11:25 AM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4130

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

too many to list the names and dates that i couldnt remember anymore but here were mine

1. amsterdam january 2008

30++ tbs

2. düsseldorf meet-up april 2008 (organizer)

50++

3. heidelberg meet up june 2008 (my birthday celebration)

15++

8. iceland blue lagoon meet up 2010 co-organizer: bananaananas

23++

9. madrid meet up 2011

9++

and in between small meet-ups and organizing travels within the tb community.

Last edited by lauro (3-27-2015 11:28 AM)

#14 3-28-2015 2:13 AM

lauro wrote:

Quite the resume of meetups, Lauro - Bravo! Give some links to any blog entries you may have on your meetups if you feel to, and they are welcome here as a resource/reference for others...

#15 3-29-2015 9:32 AM

Glasgow, Scotland
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

April 2008 - Glasgow,  met Huibdos at a, for me , nearby distillery while he as in Scotland, and regularly ever since including Amsterdam July 2013. Favourite haunt is The Pot Still whisky bar in Glasgow big_smile

January 2010 - New York, weekend meetup organised by Belgian Tom, with about a dozen visiting TB's and some local guidance smile Outside of the weekend also met up with Transitory (Stephanie) at Chelsea Market

April 2010 - Moscow, had been in touch with before travelling for advice, and met Marinushka, who then gave us  local perspective tour around the city.

July 2010 - Sarajevo, met Vagabond75 (Kevin), as we were passing in opposite directions to share experience and highlights

Sept 2012 - Glasgow, Arranged to meetup with Spocklogic (Brian) and, in the time allowed, to show him around a small part of the city.

Oct 2012 - Newcastle, having connected through this site, spent a great weekend exploring Newcastle with Stacey72.
big_smile
July 2013 - London, Picnic in the Park. Biggest meetup I have been to, but a good introduction to a lot of people. Highlight though would be the great honour of being introduced to TRAVCHEF wink

July 2013 - Copenhagen, having met in London a few weeks earlier teamed up again with Chokk ( Christian) in his home town.

April 2014 - Glasgow, another chance to show off my home town when MissTravel89 was in the city.

July - 2014 - Liverpool, Giants meetup. Larger scale meetup, some already known, some meeting for first time. What a delight it was to see TRAVCHEF again smile

August 2014 - Glasgow,   Had met WandaFromTexas, at big London meetup, but chance to show her some of the scenery just outside Glasgow.

Sept 2014 - New York, by chance happened to be there at the same time as SweetSummerDiaz and met for drinks and then another night for dinner.

Sept 2014 - London. Had been in touch with Mezmerised for a long time before finally meeting in Liverpool. Caught up again while I was in London and just recently in Glasgow in March 2015.

A few more already planned, with Fransglobal coming to Glasgow April 2015 and heading for Dublin to meet a few more TB's In July, but most notably TRAVCHEF.

Probably going to have to edit for some I have forgotten big_smile

Last edited by Dr_Seuss (4-3-2015 8:00 AM)

#16 4-2-2015 7:34 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Dr_Seuss wrote:

A few more already planned, with Fransglobal coming to Glasgow April 2015 and heading for Dublin to meet a few more TB's In July.

Probably going to have to edit for some I have forgotten big_smile

Unbelievable you forget to mention my name!!! tongue

#17 4-2-2015 7:37 PM

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

I met Ryan for the first time in 2013. The details for others in my travbuddy meet-up including for some who I shouldn't mention his name (but I gave you a hint...he is also post in your thread here) big_smile

Bravo on your feature blog though Doc!

#18 4-2-2015 7:43 PM

#19 4-3-2015 5:37 AM

#20 4-3-2015 8:01 AM

TravChef wrote:

Fixed it for you now . Happy ? tongue

#21 4-4-2015 4:24 AM

TravChef wrote:

Fixed it for you now . Happy ? tongue

Watch your tone! tongue Even the sarcastic tone didn't make different. big_smile

#22 4-14-2015 7:21 PM

#23 4-15-2015 7:42 AM

That's still light banter. Wait till Darren (DAZMAN50) joins the fray tongue

#24 4-17-2015 6:11 AM

Emotions without Emotions is no Emotions big_smile

#25 7-3-2015 8:50 PM

Re: TravBuddy Meetups - Who, When & Where? - Tell us yours...

Emotions without emotions may be false emotions. If false emotions are no emotions then the statement "Emotions without Emotions is no Emotions" is true. If false emotions are emotions then the statement is false.

This reminds me of strange loops such as:

The statement "everything is relative" is an absolute statement. If "everything is relative" is true then some things (at least that statement) aren't relative. If some things aren't relative, "everything is relative" is false.

Board footer