#1 4-17-2014 12:31 AM

txstormlover
Celtic Queen (Bren)
Ft.Worth, United States
Sightseer

best city for public transportation

so whats your best city (domestic or intl) that has public transportation?
I like flying into a city but dont want to rent a car to get to my hotel. So airport routes are key!
I personally like Washington DC flying into Reagan Airport.
Zurich, Switzerland also had fantastic trans. options.

brenda

#2 4-17-2014 12:57 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: best city for public transportation

The London system is phenomenal, if only for the sheer volume of people it shifts, although it falls down a little when it comes to the airports- only heathrow is on the tube, and train connections are expensive. That said, there are often buses. Amsterdam schippol is a piece of cake, with a station right in the airport, Malaga is easy too, Geneva has a station right there as well. Madrid has rail links.  Munich is well connected. To be honest, there are very, very few European cities without some form of public transport to the airport. I can't think of anywhere I've flown to recently that didn't at least have a bus. In the USA, Chicago is right on the L.

In south east Asia, I don't remember there being many train stations, and coaches weren't universal, but taxis were cheap and often have a pre-paid booth. I can't imagine ever having to hire a car when taxis are a couple of dollars.

#3 4-17-2014 1:43 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Tokyo and Seoul being 2 big cities with minimal English usage and 'horrifying' (in a good way) metro maps impressed me a lot. I had no issues traveling in these 2 cities. They have clear and visible signboards that can be spotted from a distance.

#4 4-17-2014 1:57 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Hard to think of best but nowhere in Americas reallly rates though Chicago and New York are fine and Chicago does have good, cheap El transport to the main airport ORD. The BART in San Francisco was fine too.

In Europe, most big cities except my own have a metro system often supplemented by a network of suburban trains, trams and buses. Berlin is arguably the best. London's has improved a lot and Sarah makes a good point about the sheer number of people transported but it is certainly not the best system in the world or even in Europe. None of its airports is well connected to the national rail network. It is also one of the most expensive public transport systems in the world.

Paris might compete on number of people carried and is a lot cheaper. Its main airport CDG is very well connected to the French and Belgian railway network

I lived in Brussels for four years and it has a very good public transport system with a cheap, intregrated ticketing system. The airport is very easy and quick (15 minutes) to access by train and there it is also well served by buses. Brussels also offers very quick (1h15 min) train connection to Paris CDG airport and direct and fast  train connection to Amsterdam and Frankfurt airports - three of the major European hub airports.

Most German, Dutch and Scandinavian cities of any size have an excellent public transport cities and in Germany and Netherlands, they are not expensive.

In Asia, Japanese, Taiwanese,  Korean cities and increasingly mainland Chinese cities have a superb ultra modern public transport system as does Hong Kong.

Bangkok has a decent system and has a direct, fast and cheap train to its main airport BKK. Kuala Lumpur and particularly Singapore also have pretty good systems.

#5 4-17-2014 2:07 AM

surfoz
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Singapore, Brussels and Vienna are all excellent (Vienna in particular was good for the Metro, train every five mins)
My home city of Perth is worse than useless, plus there is no public bus or train to the International airport - the domestic airport has a public bus but I think it ends at about 11pm.

#6 4-17-2014 2:25 AM

EmyG
Emilia
Oxford, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I love the way Paris is made! Metro works perfectly. London metro is not bad too but still imo Paris' one is much better. Istanbul's transport system at the beginning may look a bit complicated but after a few days there using trams / metro / metro buses / water taxis / ferries becomes so easy!

If it comes to my domestic cities... Warsaw has the best public transportation in entire Poland (and I dont say that because I live here). Only Warsaw has metro, that for the start... but even without that, the main way of travelling here is still by bus or tram. The city is full of bus and tram's lines. Timetables are made so clear!

Luckily for Krakow almost all its attractions are in one place. Krakow's public transportation is a nightmare (even for someone who speaks Polish!).

Also Ukrainian transport system in cities like Sevastopol or Simferopol is horrible! There are no proper bus stops, timetables, routes, and the way you buy the ticket is something I guess I will never learn...

#7 4-17-2014 2:36 AM

joseph98
Joe
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Yep, I'm also quite impressed by London's tube network, even if it does mean that at peak times and weekends it's very much sardines-in-a-tin inside the carriages. It could do with running later than it does, but we do have a good 24-hour bus system, which is great during the day as you rarely have to wait longer than a few minutes for a bus. Of course, it does have to cope with the insane traffic jams that are par for the course in the city centre...

I agree with Emy that the Paris one is very efficient and probably better than London's: I've never had any problems with it. I also recall the Berlin S-Bahn and U-Bahn being excellent as well.

#8 4-17-2014 2:48 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

One of the criteria I would include in this thread is also safety - not only safety because of the way public infrastructure was built, safety features in place, but also involving the degree of risk from external incidents - petty crime, protests, muggings, terror bombings, etc.

So for me that could be a less crowded city - Singapore comes to mind. Although I found the Paris Metro System initially confusing at first, but easy to understand once you get the hang of it.

I would put many Western European cities in this list of being "best" for public transport. No need to mention the worst unless others would like to discuss this.

#9 4-17-2014 7:50 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

For the USA, I would say San Diego and Seattle.
Both have a great light rail system, with a large bus network to top it off.

#10 4-17-2014 10:58 AM

WalterC
Walter
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

In North America, I would say Montreal, New York, Chicago, and San Francisco are the best. Not hard to figure out, and you get your money's worth with multi-day passes. Plus all of them have good airport connections. Washington DC is pretty good, though never done the airport connection there. I wish I could say Philly was as good as those cities.

Outside North America, I would say Seoul, London and Paris are probably the best. Though many European cities that I've been to, are really good. Or at the very least, good enough to get to the city from the airport, and to get between attractions.

The only place in Europe that I thought was disappointing, was Sarajevo, mainly because there is no airport connection with public transportation, and I hate taking the cab. But within the city, it works fine, even if it the tram cars are very old.

Last edited by WalterC (4-17-2014 10:59 AM)

#11 4-17-2014 9:52 PM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

I would argue that London Gatwick is very well connected to the National Rail system.There is a Station at the South Terminal. You don't have to use the expensive Gatwick Express. A little research will get you a cheaper ticket with Southern Railways.
http://www.southernrailway.com

#12 4-20-2014 10:55 AM

free08
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Definitely Seoul and London.

#13 4-20-2014 12:01 PM

esvobod
Eva
Prague, Czech Republic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

trippin_jen wrote:

Tokyo and Seoul being 2 big cities with minimal English usage and 'horrifying' (in a good way) metro maps impressed me a lot. I had no issues traveling in these 2 cities. They have clear and visible signboards that can be spotted from a distance.

Yes, I agree Seoul metro is good even for foreigners.

#14 4-20-2014 12:19 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Just been to Copenhagen and it is definitely in running for top place, though as in London, it is not cheap.

I agree that London is very good and has improved a lot but it is expensive and in my view not in the same league at all with some mainland European cities or some in Asia such as Seoul or Hong Kong.

#15 4-21-2014 2:55 AM

Charbelto
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

London and Paris.

#16 5-3-2014 3:20 PM

kimi07
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Chicago has excellent public transportation from both airports to and from the city. In addition to that, Chicago has great public transportation overall. Most of the trains are 24 hours along with the buses.

New York, also has very good public transportation.

These two cities have the best in the US.

#17 5-3-2014 11:05 PM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

in USA

Chicago-San Francisco-Boston-New York

in Europe

London-Paris-Berlin-Hamburg-Munich-Dusseldorf-Koln-Vienna-Manchster -Stockholm

In Asia
Bangkok-Seoul-Honk Kong

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer