#176 5-28-2016 12:28 PM

Brooklyn, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

My point and shoot and my I pad....smh lol . I am actually trying to see what should be my first "real" non point and shoot camera. Any advice?

#177 5-28-2016 12:34 PM

guybooth wrote:

hey Sept,  I would not recommend any DSLR, get a mirrorless camera instead. Much smaller and lighter which is a great advantage when traveling. I don't get cameras like the rebel T5, ones that have a big body but cropped sensor - I can only guess camera-makers do this to trick people....like putting a volkswagen motor in a Ferrari...

As for the Nikon D3300, I still don't get it! The Sony a6000 is similar in cost and specifications, and much smaller...that might not worry some people, but I hate carrying about heavy, bulky stuff for no good reason.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D3300 … lpha-A6000

You say the Cannon T5 is so light - but it's 434grams.  The Sony A6000 is 344 grams (both body only).
The Sony is physically much smaller, and YET the Sony actually has a larger image sensor than the Cannon.
Sorry, but I just don't understand these larger, heavier cameras with worse image sensors. What is the point in that?

Carrying around anything other than a compact pocket camera can be a hassle, so why do it unless photography is your thing, and you have a camera to match? At least the mirrorless stuff like the A6000, you can still put in a coat pocket.

It always amazes me when I'm at a stunning location to see people with DSLRs hurry past for a quick snap without making any effort to look for better angles, set-up a tripod, wait for better light....if you're not into that, fine - but then why bye a quality camera? If you just want to take snaps and document memories, then you're better off with a compact camera...if you want to learn photography as a hobby, then get something better than a bottom-end DSLR...A high-end compact makes much more sense than a bottom-end DSLR / mirrorless. It's far more practical, and you'll hardly notice any difference in the photo quality.

It's really only worth the trouble of carrying a larger kit and multiple lenses around if you intend to take the time trying to take good shots, and learn how to do it, and process your shots with software...and if you're going to spend the time and effort on that, then buy something a bit better than the Cannon Rebel T5. If not, get a compact.

I think this is true. I think many people feel that there not truly a "traveler" unless they have a large camera. I've seen multiple people point and shoot with a camera lens the size of a cucumber lol.... To each his own.

#178 5-28-2016 12:48 PM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3214

tktheworldtraveler wrote:

Sony a6000 would be a great choice.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … gital.html

Depending where you are, you can hire cameras too - good way to check before you buy.

#179 5-28-2016 4:28 PM

guybooth wrote:

tktheworldtraveler wrote:

Sony a6000 would be a great choice.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … gital.html

Thanks for the advice!

#180 5-31-2016 1:11 PM

Undolastmove
Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it", and the camera is but a tool to capture your perception.....

I've been using my simple point and clicks from kodak, pentax to Sony to my iphone now but would still lug around my old and sturdy rebel along with me.

Why?
- Its a DSLR which means you can still capture the image the moment you depress the shutter and not a second later....
- Its an entry level model, but i can still pair it with the required lens(10-18,18-55,55-200, 55 f1.8 etc.,)
- Tried and tested and has never failed in the last 10 years or more
- Its not full frame, but you can still take great pictures if you know how to capture the image smile

#181 6-7-2016 1:08 AM

jedder
Chris
Posts: 11

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I simply use my smartphone. Nowadays there is not a whole lot of difference in quality.

#182 6-8-2016 5:24 AM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 3214

jedder wrote:

yes and no, if you’re just taking snaps without much thought (which is fine!) then a smartphone is near as good....if you’re taking high resolution photos in low light conditions for printing, then there’s a world of difference...again it all comes down to application, and personal need. Some shots on my good camera would be just as good from a smartphone - other shots I simply could not take with a phone as the quality is simply not there.

#183 6-12-2016 5:29 AM

Crkeenan
Carson
Delmont, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

How bout the ricoh wg5 i tend to get to adventurous at times an it sounds likes it would cover s ll the basis of nice pics with the durability and photo transfer but dont know anyone that has used or seen one.

#184 9-3-2016 4:20 PM

Y2JayDoesAsia
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 14

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

At this stage it's my Gopro Hero4 silver and my Nokia Lumia 1520 phone, but I want something better of r low light, a good 1080p point and shoot camera good for low light

#185 9-3-2016 8:17 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I am considering the Sony mirrorless as Guy booth points out. So many plusses compared to minuses. A camera phone for me just doesn't cut it. Yes you can buy accessories to make it so much better and get apps etc...but most of the pro looking pictures I have seen from these set ups were taken by pros proving you could. That said they are still limited and take extra props. There are average people taking great pics on iphones with the new gear but if you don't have a good eye or learn to set up pics...most that I see are lacking.

That said I am tempted to buy a lens for my iphone to keep in my pocket for those snaps but "taking selfies to the next level" as stated by an add for a cellphone clip is a nauseating thought for me. When people put themselves in most of their shots...i stop looking at most of their shots. How incredibly boring.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro … ;A=details

#186 9-3-2016 8:33 PM

Sept922
Posts: 1673

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Th a6300 is out now but that pushes the a6000 more into my price range....

Last edited by Sept922 (9-3-2016 8:33 PM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer