#51 6-6-2014 10:48 AM

Los Angeles, California
Sightseer
Posts: 91

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

That is impressive hardware guybooth. God forbid my equipment get stolen on vacation, but I now know what I will replace it with!

And that Sony totally reminds me of a 70s-80s era film SLR too. Totally cool!

#52 6-6-2014 9:55 PM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Yeah it is! But I bet camera sellers and manufactures will keep encouraging people to buy DSLRs - the more DSLRs can sell now the more money they'll make, as in a few years everyone with a DSLR will realize mirrorless is the way to go, and many DSLR owners will swap over, so they'll end up buying more gear compared to just getting into the mirrorless system from the start....It's not in the interest of record sellers to encourage people to purchase CDs...they'll just keep on telling you records are superior!

Last edited by guybooth (6-7-2014 1:15 PM)

#53 6-8-2014 9:28 PM

#55 6-11-2014 8:53 PM

mouzouris
Mike
Detroit, Michigan
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 100

Canon G10

#56 7-4-2014 2:14 AM

bannedaccount
Posts: 1

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Cannon 600d, 50mm lens, 8mm fisheye lens,  and 19 -200mm lens with gorilla pod, spare batteries assorted filters, a flash and a Kodak Zi8.  All fit quite nicely into a lowpro passport sling bag, with room to spare.

#57 7-7-2014 9:10 AM

NorthernMonkey86
Chris
Middlesbrough, England
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 158

I use a fuji HS30 and a gopro 2

#58 7-11-2014 3:30 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1312

mosted wrote:

By the way: I really love the photo backpacks for travelling. There is so much space in it, its really perfect for travel...just a little heavy depending on what you carry. I bought one by Tamrac for around 60€ 8 years ago - 8 years!!! And its still like a new one, nothing got broken its great quality. But now they are much more expensive.

I've got such a backpack, they're great, you can stuff everything you need in them and don't need another carry on bag

#59 7-11-2014 9:06 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 665

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Currently, I am using Olympus PEN E-PL1 (mirrorless) with Olympus 14-42mm standard lens + Lumix 45-200mm zoom lens + Extra battery.

Alternatively, I may also use old Sony compact P&S, Nikon CoolPix L110 P&S and a smartphone camera.

Last edited by tour_guy (7-11-2014 10:08 PM)

#60 9-6-2014 6:22 AM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I just bought myself the Olympus PEN E-PL5. It comes with the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm lenses. Pretty much all I need for traveling. I intend to get a better prime lens to add on, and I should be set.

It's definitely a nice change from the old DSLR I had. With the DSLR, I always end up deciding against bringing it with me, because sometimes it's just too heavy to carry around all day, and I might not even take that many pictures. With this new camera, I am already carrying it wherever I go!

#61 9-6-2014 6:32 AM

mynthe wrote:

Exactly! As I keep saying, DSLRs just aren't the way to go anymore. We have better technology now.
For 99.9% of us wanting a quality camera, mirroless are far more practical. DSLRs are going to die a slow death as more people realize this.

#62 9-6-2014 2:12 PM

guybooth wrote:

mynthe wrote:

I must say, your input on this issue helped influence my decision to look into a mirrorless camera to switch to smile

#63 9-6-2014 2:23 PM

:-)

#64 9-7-2014 7:10 AM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I ended up buying the nex-7, guybooth, beautiful little camera. I'd be very interested to buy a wider lens though and see what I can do with landscape photography. I'm using a 35 (50mm equivalent) and its a bit too close for my liking.

#65 9-7-2014 10:30 AM

anywherebuthere1 wrote:

I ended up buying the nex-7, guybooth, beautiful little camera.

Ah great! Yeah - I still think it is the NEX7 is the perfect travel camera, although I have upgraded to the a7r - which is a 'better' camera in terms of resolution than the NEX- but the a7r is heavier, larger and far more expensive than the NEX - the a7r is just not as convenient for travel, and not too many people want or need better resolution that the NEX anyhow....there comes a point where extra resolutions just doesn't matter...

My favorite 2 lenses on my NEX 7 were the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt … av-Search=
Super sharp, tiny, and only around $200 - fantastic value.
I also have the 12mm Zeiss - which is very good, but damn expensive, and I used the 19mm more anyhow.
I might sell these lenses - if anyone is interested - as I've switched to the a7r body.

#66 9-7-2014 7:46 PM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

You back in Australia? Shoot me a price list or something. I'd probably go for the 19mm as I already have a 35mm. Although, I was thinking of getting the Zeiss 24 but it's very expensive, $650-700 or so... But I do think 35mm (50mm equiv) is a bit too close in regards to street photography, I think 24mm (35mm equiv) might be better for my style. 24mm (35mm equiv) okay for landscape? or better to come out wider a bit? That way I can have one lens for both street photography and landscape. Lazy right? shame on me lol.

#67 9-7-2014 7:48 PM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

The lens I'm currently using by the way is the sony 35mm 1.8 (50mm equiv). It's pretty beautiful. A lot of nex-7 users are juggling between getting that or the zeiss 24. I think the zeiss 24 would be a touch better but not worth an extra $300... unless you want a 24 (35 equiv)

#68 9-7-2014 10:20 PM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I'm in Dubai, heading to Australia, left my NEX lenses (but for the 12mm Zeiss) in Lagos - so couldn't send them now anyhow for 6 weeks...I could sell the Zeiss 12mm I suppose...not sure on a fair price? will see what they are going for second-hand if i get time.

I tend to think if you are going to spend close to $1000 on a lens, then you are after really excellent quality, so then you should maybe be switching to a full frame camera (such as the a7r) or a7.
The sensor in the NEX is a bit smaller than full-frame - the NEX / E mount lenses will work on a Full Frame E-mount camera, but there is a crop factor that takes away resolution/quality - so if you spend around $1000 or so on a lens, and then decide you want to upgrade the camera body and swap the lens over, you won't get the full benefit of the expensive lens anymore....maybe look at getting an FE lens ('F'ull) is you are going to spend a lot of money on a new lens - that way you can use it on the NEX, and then also use it to full benefit on a full frame camera if you do upgrade one day.
And remember these mirrorless Full Frame cameras are only going to get cheaper, so I bet you will want one one day - even if you still like the NEX-7 (no reason not to!)... it would be a real shame if you have to go out and buy a whole new set of expensive lenses for the FE camera after buying a set of expensive NEX lenses.

The other thing is, do you need a fast lens? an f2.8 cost heaps more than the same quality lens that's say f4.
Personally,  I like landscapes so I normally use around f11 for greater depth of field, and I use a tripod if the light is dim - so it's there is just no point spending the extra money for an f2.8 or so (except for star trails I guess - which I want to try back in Australia, as we have great stars hey - brought the 12mm Zeiss with me for that reason)

I think the Sony E-mount 10-18mm might also work on FE mounts without an loss/crop factor, so that might be a good one to get - but just cheak on that - I don't have that lens, so haven't gone into it.

I think the 24 would be nice for landscape - just depends on the scene hey! I probably used the 19mm a bit more than the 30mm and both of them more than the 12mm...but everyone is different.  The 12mm is really wide, I found you need to have a real nice foreground with it as the background can start to look quite distant. I like shots like that, but more landscapes seem better suited to the 19-30mm range to me.
I loved the Sigma 19 and 30 - fantastic value, super sharp and tiny and light. The NEX-7 is great as it is small, and the Sigma's fit in with that - I thought about Zeiss 24, but as I said, I decided if I was going to start a collection  near $1000 prime lenses, then I ought to get a full-frame body - hence I swapped over to the a7r.
I'd stick too the less expensive lenses for the NEX-7

Last edited by guybooth (9-7-2014 10:37 PM)

#69 9-8-2014 5:19 AM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

No, I've already bought a lens for the Nex-7, not adding or upgrading lenses until I buy a whole new kit all together - and my eyes are set on the Leica M9... That or take it old school and go film - Leica M3 haha. But I'm assuming the costs for Film rolls will catch up on me. I'm not so much into landscape or architecture, rather people. It's people I love capturing, candid, raw, street photography. Henri cartier-bresson style.

#70 9-8-2014 6:10 AM

guybooth wrote:

I discovered that just last month when I went to Australia. I was on the overnight flight to Melbourne and there was a beautiful sky full of stars that I could see from window seat. I've never seen that on other flights before.

#71 9-8-2014 5:06 PM

kayguarnay
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 179

Traveling with:
Nikon D60 and 18-200mm lens
Lumix DMC-ZS25
iPad mini
Samsung SIV

I mostly use the lumix, but being in Nepal, DSLR is the only thing that ever came close to getting 1% of what the eye actually sees.  I will look into the mirror less systems when I get home, thank you for the article!

#72 9-9-2014 7:21 AM

botew
Posts: 6

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I got a "mega-zoom" (it's a point-and-shoot with better zoom range) Canon SX50. It's a compromise between image quality, weight/versatility and most importantly, price.

I agree with the comment above that DSLR are too big for travel. My next camera is probably going to be a pocket size full frame camera rather than DSLR.

#73 9-14-2014 9:50 PM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I disagree with you Levon. A camera won't capture those things. Composition, lighting, geometry and the decisive moment will.

#74 9-26-2014 4:24 AM

VincenzoD
Vincenzo
Italy
Posts: 1

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Nikon D60 and 18-200mm lens is a good product but I'm not syre It has a good battery.
I think we need to carry a backup battery. I have seen a battery charger that is integrated in the luggage wheel. Its name was P-lugg Charger.

#75 9-26-2014 5:17 AM

VincenzoD wrote:

Oh that's a cool idea! but I suppose you'd have to be walking about a lot for it to work.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer