#1 2-3-2014 3:15 AM

Posts: 7

What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

What is your best Equipment photography while you are travelling?

#2 2-3-2014 5:19 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5948

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Almost all the photos on my blogs are point and shoot cameras, on either a Panasonic Lumix or an entry level Canon - the Spanish ones are all on an iPhone 4.  The only ones I have on a DSLR are about two thirds of the safari ones from Uganda (and none of the gorillas, which were a point and shoot too).  None of my photos are good enough to sell, but they blow up reasonably well and they serve their purpose, which is just to remind me of happy times.  I do own a DSLR, and at some point I will learn to use it, but I don't like carrying bulky heavy equipment, and I don't like taking too much time setting up "perfect" shots when I could be exploring or eating and drinking.  There are a lot of really, really interesting threads on these forums about camera equipment, though - if you search the forum for historic threads there are some great ideas on the more advanced equipment and techniques.

#3 2-3-2014 5:28 PM

katbird
Nhulunbuy, Australia
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 175

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I use a canon entry level SLR with a tamron 18-200, UV and polarising filters, extra batteries, and a gorilla tripod which tbh I rarely use and might not take again.

I also have a go pro 3 with a floating handle for my water activities.

#4 2-3-2014 6:24 PM

entro16
Jon
Tucson, Arizona
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 212

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

For me, it is the simple Canon SureShot (pocket camera).   There inexpensive.  Take awesome photos.  Have an HCSD card.  I love the pocket size.  And, and, and when I travel locally without my camera, there is always my trusty smartphone.

Jon

#5 2-3-2014 11:07 PM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I have a Sony Nex 7 with 4 lenses, a tripod a few other bits and pieces. I love this camera - excellent quality and still not excessively bulky. I get everything, other than the tripod, into a bum bag, but it's still more than anyone would want to carry about unless they are keen on photography as a hobby.
I used to travel with just a point and shoot, as I like to travel light, but more and more I wished I had a better camera, so I finally bit the bullet and bought my equipment. I take far better photos than I used to, but I still have a long way to go! But there is much fun in learning.

Unless you are keen on photography as a hobby, I don't think you need anything other than a good quality point-and-shoot.

Last edited by guybooth (2-3-2014 11:10 PM)

#6 2-3-2014 11:42 PM

EmyG
Emilia
Oxford, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5566

atm I have:
1) Nikon d5100 18-200 a-fs vrII + Nikkor 50mm + polarising filter Marumi slim
2) Sony DSC-TX30
3 ipad !!! which made better photos in Cappadocia than my old Canon

Last edited by EmyG (2-3-2014 11:43 PM)

#7 2-3-2014 11:59 PM

djapa
Posts: 1052

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Only Samsung galaxy SII ...

#8 2-4-2014 2:42 AM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Thank you guys for your awesome reply! i owned nikon D7k 17-55 2.8, i love my equipment and the sharpness results, but i'm thinking to buy a pro camera like d800. some people say that i'm crazy coz it's heavy. i know we all love travelling and we like to capture a better Picture for good memories .
So what do you advice guys do i need to downgrade"pocket camera"or upgrade"heavy camera".

#9 2-4-2014 3:23 AM

anywien
Martina
Brno, Czech Republic
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 34

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I heard about Sony NEX, I want to buy it, because it is supposed to be a good camera and quite discreet. In some countries I canĀ“t imagine travelling with a heavy reflex and I would be afraid to damage it.

#10 2-4-2014 3:26 AM

dariopaquit wrote:

What you do is get a mirrorless camera! Forget DSLRs - they are old technology (Sony has even stopped making them now). There is no point having a big camera whey you can now have something half the size that takes just as good photos - here is a comparisons between the Nikon you mentioned, and the equivalent Sony.

Nikon d800                                         Sony a7R
megapixals: 36                                   megapixals: 36
sensor: CMOS 35.9 x 24mm                sensor: CMOS 35.9 x 24mm
Body size: 14x12x8 centimeters          Body size: 13x9x4 centimeters
Body weight: 900grams                       Body weight: 400grams
Cost: $2800                                       Cost: $2300

Why would you buy the Nikon, when you can get the Sony that has an identical sensor, is smaller, weights less than half of the Nikon, and is cheaper?
Not only that - the lenses of the Sony weigh far less than the Nikons. I get my Sony NEX 7 and 4 lenses into a bum bag, with the Nikon body and 4 lenses, I'd fill up a daypack.
There is simply no reason for 99.9% of people who own cameras to buy a DSLR. Mirrolress cameras are now just as good, and less the half the weight.

#11 2-6-2014 2:28 AM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Thanks for sharing the type of camera that you compare to nikon d800. i done review this camera it i was amaze coz is almost the same. i think i go for this.

guybooth wrote:

Body weight: 900grams                       Body weight: 400grams
Cost: $2800                                       Cost: $2300

#12 2-6-2014 5:06 AM

i think i go for this.

If you buy the Sony, and can afford it, this would be a great lens for it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … _lens.html

#13 2-8-2014 2:51 AM

SharoneRogers
Sharone
Posts: 8

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I have just visited Quito and Galapagos,with my Canon EOS 1100D  and we got very beautiful pictures of Sea lions, birds, Penguins. The quality of images are very nice. Exploring the nature with very good camera is very important for beautiful memories.

#14 2-8-2014 3:40 AM

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I agree with you, good camera a good results. that's why i post this question.maybe some good advice from Traveler photographer.

SharoneRogers wrote:

Last edited by dariopaquit (2-8-2014 3:41 AM)

#15 2-8-2014 6:48 AM

AussieMel82
Melissa
Brisbane, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 431

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I am not really a serious photographer. I take pictures on holidays for the memories, I find if I spend too much time worrying about setting up the camera and taking creative pictures that I miss the special moments.

My partner and I bought a new Canon digital camera before we left on our last trip but we lost the charger at one point so half our photos in the Philippines are on the Iphone and believe it or not, those pictures were almost better than the ones taken on the camera

#16 2-8-2014 8:10 AM

AussieMel82 wrote:

I do believe it. For if you don't take your time, and set up your good camera, your iPhone will do just about as well! No criticism, just pointing out there is no point buying a decent camera if you just want to snap away without much thought. Only spend the money on a higher end camera if you consider photography something of a hobby which you like to learn about. Otherwise, stick to a compact camera, or a phone-camera.

#17 2-8-2014 4:52 PM

happyfacecrazy
Sightseer
Posts: 52

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

Canon EOS 1100D - Nice quality photos with no desire to upgrade.
Samsung Galaxy Slll - Surprisingly clear picture results.

As long as I get some photos I'm happy I know I could do I lot more with the equipment that I got it's only a matter of sitting down and going through it.

Thinking about getting a GoPro for those underwater shots. Anyone have any feedback or even a cheaper alternative?

#18 2-9-2014 1:06 PM

killustrations
Kaylee
New York, New York
Award: Critic IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 8

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I'm always too lazy to lug around a DSLR when I'm traveling so I always just bring my point and shoot camera. I have the Canon G12, which kind of looks like a mini DSLR.

I also like to bring my Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic just to take some polaroids, and depending on the trip that I'm taking, I also use a GoPro smile

#19 2-10-2014 3:55 AM

bhush2006
Bhushan
Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 467

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

A simple point and shoot digital camera. Serves the purpose. :-)

Last edited by bhush2006 (2-10-2014 3:56 AM)

#20 2-10-2014 4:13 PM

paulo37
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 223

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

In an ideal world I would travel with a dSLR but I know it's never going to happen again.

I currently travel with compact cameras only, due to my self-imposed 5-kilo carry-on weight limit:
- Canon SX40 (this is my main travel camera)
- Fujifilm Real 3D W3 (for 3D photos)
- Fuji F31 (for underwater photos, I take it with me only when I plan to scuba dive)

Cameras that I've traveled with in the past:
- Canon 10D (digital SLR, too heavy) with Canon 28-135 and Sigma 15-30 lenses
- Canon SX10
- Canon SX1
- Canon S3
- Canon A95
- Sea&Sea MX-5 II (film p&s for scuba diving)
- Olympus u[mju:]-II (film p&s)
- Olympus Stylus zoom 35-105 (film p&s)
- Pentax ME-Super (film SLR)

#21 2-11-2014 3:24 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 2026

I carry:
Cannon EOS 450 D
Lumix Tough
Go Pro

The Cannon is for my good photos, the Lumix for places I can't take the SLR and the Go Pro is my new edition that I use for under water and things that are too extreme for the Lumix or require hands free as it can be mounted.

#22 2-12-2014 8:23 AM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 253

Re: What is your Travel Photography Equipment?

I am biased towards DSLR.  To say you can take as good pictures with a point and shoot camera is not true.  If you are not taking better pictures with a DSLR you do not know how to use it properly.  If you have a DSLR and only use the "auto" modes you are only using about 1/3 of the cameras capabilities and you may as well use a point and shoot.  It would be well worth your while to take a one day course on using a DSLR if you own one.

Mirror-less cameras probably will one day replace DSLR right now they lack in fast and accurate light detection.  Where they are better is on weight and noise levels.  Personally I would wait awhile before going mirror-less and buy a good used DSLR with two lenses.

I also carry a small point and shoot just for occasions I do not want to take my DSLR>

#23 2-12-2014 11:07 AM

niradcan wrote:

I disagree with you there as Mirrorless image quality is already identical to DSLRs, after all, they now use identical sensors....Mirrorless technology is where camera manufactures are investing their research, so if you are going to spend money on a decent lens, that you can use for years to come, then you may as well buy a lens in the mirroless range rather than at the end of the line for the DSLR formant.
As Photography Life says, "It simply does not make sense for manufacturers like Nikon and Canon to continue investing into making DSLRs better, when the technology advantage is clearly with mirror less."
Sony has actually completely quit manufacturing DSLRs.

As it stands there are some applications in which mirrorless are slightly better, and some in which DSLRs are slightly better,  but unless you require a camera for a very specific purpose it really makes little difference...If I wanted to shoot high speed action in low light with autofocus, I might be marginally better off with a DSLR, however that advantage is mitigated by the other (increasing) advantages mirrorless have - i.e. for shooting landscapes in manual focus I prefer mirrorless, simply because of the focus peeking function. Even for portraits I love the focus peaking as you can pinpoint the focus right on the eye - though even that feature may be redundant with the new mirrorless cameras that can be set-up to detect and autofocus on eyes anyhow...the scope for such features (useful of not) in mirroless cameras are far greater than for DSLRs - so anyone investing in a new camera and lenses should jump on the bandwagon. Buying a DSLR now would be like buying a record player when CDs came out.

What I love about the mirrorless units are the size and weight,  but if I wanted to carry about a huge telescopic lens for wildlife photograph, then I'd have blown the size and weight advantage of mirrorless cameras out the window...

I agree with you that people should learn to use their camera if they invest in a decent one (only a beginner myself, and always will be). Most of my friends with DSLRs just use them only in auto mode, so I don't even know why they bought them.

#24 2-12-2014 6:29 PM

niradcan
Darin
Saskatoon, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 253

guybooth wrote:

Sony has actually completely quit manufacturing DSLRs.

I do not disagree mirror-less is probably the future, but they are still slower processing than a DSLR and do not read light as accurately.  When they do overcome these short-comings there will be no such thing as DSLRs.

Again I will show more bias.  Sony is not in the same league as Canon, Nikon, or even Pentax for cameras.

#25 2-12-2014 8:04 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1958

niradcan wrote:

I fully agree with this part. In order to take great pictures, they should learn how the camera works!
After getting to know how to use the camera, everyone's pics will be so much improved.

So what I take for my travel is not ordinary anymore.
I am using Ihagee Exakta Varex IIa, which is the very first SLR camera in the world, with lots of B&W film ;-)
It's already 60yrs old but still works fine, and it's great that it doesn't require battery. And moreover, most people have never seen such a strange camera, so many local people think that it's funny and start talking to me.

I know it's totally not practical, because I need to take lots of films to my trip but I totally love it.
I already don't have any digital camera except for iphone5.
Probably I will ask my bf to lend me his Contax T3 for my next trip... ;-)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer