#51 2-28-2013 12:50 AM

marix_sublime
Maricar
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

i am  currently reading silent girl by tess gerritsen

#52 2-28-2013 1:13 AM

bigmac993
James
Denver, Colorado
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Deep Down by Lee Child. This is another Jack Reacher book. It is light reading about Jack Reacher, an off-beat investigator. I just finished reading another in this series, "One Shot" which was made into a Tom Cruise movie. There was a separate thread about Jack Reacher. Below is my post from there:

(Just finished reading  "One Shot" last night. It is a good book, I enjoyed it. Jack Reacher is sort of an investigator - tough guy. I can't really see Tom Cruise playing the part but am sure the screen writers will make it work.

Reacher does have a unique traveling style with only the clothes on his back! Weird, but it made me think and I am planning on taking less in by bag on my next trip!

I bought this book off Amazon as a Kindle download and bought another Jack Reacher book, " Deep Down" which was on sale as a Kindle download for about $3.00. I now have 68 books on my little netbook using the free Kindle software for PC.

I would recommend this book to TB members for light reading.)

There were several members that commented on Jack Reacher's travel style in that thread but it was obvious some of them only read reviews and not the book.... can't understand that?

#53 2-28-2013 5:52 AM

kremheild
Kremheild
Cebu, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster III
Explorer

Currently reading

An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny by Laura Schrof

#54 3-2-2013 12:18 PM

cotton_foam
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster III
Globetrotter

The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck

#55 3-3-2013 4:15 PM

clamdigger53
Robert
Mexico City, Mexico
Award: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Money Mischief,Milton Friedman

#56 3-4-2013 2:24 AM

MarkA02
Mark
Sightseer

An excellent choice, Clamdigger.   Milton Friedman is a giant of the 20th century, truly a fantastic man, thinker, writer, teacher.   Books like this one and "Free to Choose" are  books that one can (and should) read again every decade.  He and his wife are the teachers/professors that every true student should want, not the blind idiots of today's academia.

Friedman's thinking is simultaneously galactic and practical.  He has so many good quotations from his speeches, writing, books.  Here is just one.  "Because we live in a largely free society, we tend to forget how limited is the span of time and the part of the globe for which there has ever been anything like political freedom:  The typical state of mankind is tyranny, servitude, and misery.  The nineteenth century and early twentieth century in the Western world stand out as striking exceptions to the general trend of (our world's) historical development.  Political freedom in this instance clearly came along with the free market and the development of capitalist institutions."

#57 3-7-2013 1:14 AM

marix_sublime
Maricar
Lagos, Nigeria
Explorer

Just finished silent girl and is now reading the girl with the dragon tattoo...i've seen the film version first. hope it doesn't really spoil it for me.

#58 3-7-2013 4:26 AM

nidge76
Neil
Dunstable, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster II
Tourist

Just started Close to the Bone by Stuart Macbride.  I have recently read all of his previous Logan McRae detective series and have so far found them really good.

#59 3-7-2013 3:54 PM

clamdigger53
Robert
Mexico City, Mexico
Explorer

MarkA02 wrote:

An excellent choice, Clamdigger.   Milton Friedman is a giant of the 20th century, truly a fantastic man, thinker, writer, teacher.   Books like this one and "Free to Choose" are  books that one can (and should) read again every decade.  He and his wife are the teachers/professors that every true student should want, not the blind idiots of today's academia.

Friedman's thinking is simultaneously galactic and practical.  He has so many good quotations from his speeches, writing, books.  Here is just one.  "Because we live in a largely free society, we tend to forget how limited is the span of time and the part of the globe for which there has ever been anything like political freedom:  The typical state of mankind is tyranny, servitude, and misery.  The nineteenth century and early twentieth century in the Western world stand out as striking exceptions to the general trend of (our world's) historical development.  Political freedom in this instance clearly came along with the free market and the development of capitalist institutions."

Glad someone else enjoys him,"Free to Choose" is the best book I've ever read! Catch his videos on u tube !

#60 3-8-2013 1:54 AM

christine4321
St. Catharines, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Crime and Punishment- lol I have been slowly reading it for months!

#61 3-8-2013 1:56 AM

christine4321
St. Catharines, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

marix_sublime wrote:

Just finished silent girl and is now reading the girl with the dragon tattoo...i've seen the film version first. hope it doesn't really spoil it for me.

I couldn't put the books down! My housework was neglected and the kids went hungry!

#62 3-9-2013 8:35 AM

SorbusAucuparia
Leona
Zagreb, Croatia
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

William G. Lycan's Philosophy of Language.

#63 3-9-2013 11:00 PM

bigmac993
James
Denver, Colorado
Explorer

kaiser_h wrote:

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson...... kind of late i guess

smile

#64 3-12-2013 8:33 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Witch Hunt by Ian Rankin

#65 3-12-2013 7:11 PM

clamdigger53
Robert
Mexico City, Mexico
Explorer

SorbusAucuparia wrote:

William G. Lycan's Philosophy of Language.

Catcher in the Rye, loved that one too!

#66 3-13-2013 6:11 AM

mosted
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

#67 3-24-2013 8:52 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I just finished reading the Hunger Games Triology. Now I start Life of Pi.

#68 3-25-2013 12:26 AM

cotton_foam
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster III
Globetrotter

"Captivating" by John & Stasi Eldredge

#69 3-25-2013 11:44 AM

GeorgeLeach
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

mosted wrote:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

What do you make of it? I found it very disappointing compared to his previous work.

Currently reading 'The Man in the Iron Mask' by Alexandre Dumas.

#70 3-26-2013 7:06 AM

Andy84
Cologne, Germany
Couch Potato

"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Incredible style - I cannot remember the last time a contemporary book got me so emotionally involved.

#71 3-26-2013 2:02 PM

dahling
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster II
Explorer

Alan Young - Spiritual Healing

#72 3-26-2013 9:51 PM

esterrene
amber
United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

#73 3-27-2013 4:54 AM

JasperO
Jasper
Netherlands
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

A magazine about travelling

#74 3-28-2013 8:49 AM

bigmac993
James
Denver, Colorado
Explorer

Just turned in 4 books at a small military base near here today for exchange for new ones. These are all light reading that I read part of each night before sleeping since there is not much else to do here and lately my days are filled with reading boring but necessary technical manuals in my field all day getting ready to go back to the US and renew some licenses - ie stuying for tests! By night I am ready for some relaxation!

I turned in the following

Heat by Stuart Woods-This was one of his early books and pretty good, not like his recent ones with Stone Barrington having relations with every female in sight.

SpecOps by WEB Griffin - a recent book of his about the same old subject most techno thriller writers are writing about nowdays. Chasing terrorists. But pretty good.

Against All Enemies by Tom Clancy. - Clancy has started writing his own books again after nearly 20 years of badly written books by ghost writers in his various series such as the "Op Center" series that kinda sucked. Early in Clancy's career I read every book he wrote, Hunt for Red October etc with his hero Jack Ryan. In Against All Enemies he has introduced a new hero character, Moore - former Navy Seal, now CIA. Pretty good but a little boring, Clancy has not got his old mojo back yet plus it was a long book, forgot to count but probably 700 pages or so.

Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn  - For me another great Mitch Rapp book, I have read them all so far but this too is the same topic, fighting extremists and terrorists. " Mitch Rapp don't take no Crap!"

Last edited by bigmac993 (4-4-2013 4:40 PM)

#75 4-1-2013 11:35 PM

mosted
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

GeorgeLeach wrote:

mosted wrote:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

What do you make of it? I found it very disappointing compared to his previous work.

Currently reading 'The Man in the Iron Mask' by Alexandre Dumas.

Sorry I missed your post, just noticed it. I'm not finished yet but the story is quite interesting. Have you read Book 3 of 1Q84 aswell?
But I guess his previous works where better, although I hate the open endings. But that never prevented me from taking the next booking of him big_smile

Board footer