#576 2-19-2017 1:10 AM

nolan
Explorer
Posts: 3770

nolan wrote:

Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide to Thriving in the Age of Accelerations, by Thomas L. Friedman

Curious to learn your opinion...I was somewhat disappointed.  Though engaging as always, Friedman did not introduce any revelations, which I have come to expect.  Despite enjoying reinforcement of current opinions, I was not astounded.  I recognize that is a harsh expectation, but Tom consistently introduced brilliant new planes of thought before.

I got distracted after a few chapters because I am now reading an earlier Thomas Friedman book:

I'll get back to you after I finish this one.

#577 2-20-2017 7:55 AM

Zagnut66
Bill
Northern Virginia, United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 765

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning.

Tries to explain how a group of German middle-aged men drafted into a reserve police battalion could commit atrocities against the Jewish population in occupied Poland during World War II.

Not an easy read, but grimly fascinating.

#578 2-28-2017 3:33 PM

KyivWitch
Posts: 24

'WhirlWind' by James Clavell

#579 3-3-2017 2:57 PM

callufrax
Stephen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 389

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Cycling to the Ashes: A Cricketing Odyssey From London to Brisbane, by Oli Broom.

#580 3-12-2017 11:58 PM

Zen and The Art of Motorcyle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

#581 3-13-2017 2:14 PM

MrD3071
Dave
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 277

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

"Nothing to Envy" by Barbra Demrick. Fascinating read, especially if you wish to know more about the lives of North Koreans. It is a little bit political which doesn't make it "light" reading but I do thoroughly recommend it!

#582 3-14-2017 4:12 AM

LIFEISGRAND
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Ambassador
Posts: 40

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

I am currently rereading "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. She developed Objectivism as the philosophy of rational individualism and the book is a great character study. It is a rather long read that will get you thinking. Perfect for a long bus trip or an afternoon spent in a hammock!

#583 3-18-2017 8:01 AM

jhulian
Toronto, Canada
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 46

How to win friends and influence people - Dale Carnegie

Can anyone suggest a good fantasy book along the lines of LOTR or the Witcher novels?

#584 4-1-2017 9:47 PM

Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

About two-thirds through a remarkable effort by Andrea Wulf - Chasing Venus

Remarkable recounting of how recognition the rare transit of Venus across the Sun in 1761 and 1769 would enable scientists to calculate the distance to the Sun.  Fascinating because the endeavor required observation from points across the globe --- the travel adventures are stupendous --- and this was a driving event for the first instance of international cooperation!

#585 4-2-2017 4:29 AM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Made in Spain by Miriam Gonzales Durantez - it's a cook book.  It's been too long since I saw any good sunshine so I am trying to import some via my kitchen.

#586 4-2-2017 9:43 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 113

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Missing Joseph by Elisabeth George for the bed-time reading and a French guide book for Scotland for the afternoon tea-breaks and early evening reading.

#587 4-22-2017 7:35 PM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Recently finished Deep South by Paul Theroux.  I have limitless respect for Theroux as a traveler and writer (while acknowledging I would probably not like him if he were a personal acquaintance), but this one was a mixed bag.  Paul opened my eyes to the extreme poverty existing in the southern United States: think I suspected this in the back of my mind, having lived there for eight years, but it is far too easy to dismiss when insulated (the town I lived in was not decimated by job losses).  Also some brilliant literary discussions.

Unfortunately, many observations struck me as self fulfilling prophecies born of preconceived notions.  Perhaps what really biased me was a statement Theroux made about how easy it was traveling by car in one's home country.  Escaping the need to board a plane, Paul remarked on the benefit of not being strip searched by an "inferior" --- how terrible!  Immersed in dialog striving to cull sympathy for folks living in poverty, he condemns folks in low paying jobs.

Despite the abrasion, a compelling journey.

#588 4-22-2017 10:18 PM

ravenswing
Posts: 1

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Currently I am reading *The Big Leap* by Gay Hendricks which is about conquering your hidden fear and taking life to the next level.

Also *The Holographic Universe* by Michael Talbot which is a revolutionary theory of reality that explains:
1 - Latest Frontiers of Physics
2 - The Paranormal Abilities of the Mind, and
3 - Unsolved Riddles of the Brain and Body.

And for some lighter reading a historical romance called *My One True Highlander* by Suzanne Enoch.

#589 4-22-2017 10:35 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 174

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Poetry by Wislawa Szymborska. Translated of course. Wish I could read the original.

#590 4-23-2017 7:07 PM

Columbiana, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Just finished "The Woman in the Photo" by Mary Hogan for book club. I enjoyed this story set in present-day and in the time of the Johnstown Flood (even if the author used too many similes for my liking).

Currently listening to "Wedding Night" by Sophie Kinsella. It seemed like a fairly fluff story to keep me company during my drive to DC and back this past week. Unfortunately I am only halfway through and now only have fifteen minute drives in my near future...

#591 4-26-2017 2:59 AM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

@jhulian, the fantasy I like best tends to be stuff that's got some fantasy but it's set more in our world, so I don't know how much help these are.  But I love

Dr Norrell and Jonathon Strange - basically Napoleonic Era England, but if magic had been real, but lost.  Includes some old school fairies - not the lovely benign Tolkein elves but the more malevolent creatures from the older myths.  And what would happen if you could have unleashed hard core sourcery on a battlefield more used to cannon fire.
American Gods - Neil Gaiman's trip through an America where Gods feed on belief and the old gods are having to find new ways of coping with loss of belief and a war with the new gods, media, internet and things like that.  It's being televised at the moment, but I've reread the book at least six times and pick up new bits each time
Deathless (by an author called Catherynne Valente) - probably the least well known on the list.  It's a re-telling of the story of Koschei the Deathless, partly set in a fantasy (but very Russian) world and partly set in the siege of St Petersburg during world war 2, and the resulting famine.  It's a weird one but as a bit of magical realism, maybe, rather than fantasy it's haunting.

And back to playing along - I'm reading a lot of books on life coaching skills for a course right now.

Last edited by sarahelaine (4-26-2017 3:00 AM)

#592 5-13-2017 7:41 PM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

And now for something completely different...

Not a book I read, but just saw David Sedaris give a live performance.  If you are a fan of his very humorous books, you might have been intrigued as I was.  I brand his efforts as 'sensationalized autobiography'...as in he draws upon personal experience, but allows his imagination to take liberties and mold these events into entertainment.  That said, I never got the sense he would be comfortable performing publicly because he strikes me as very private.

Disappointed I did not predict how the show would go, because in retrospect it should have been expected.  He was incredibly funny, with the bulk of the show consisting of him reading selected short stories.  The theater was packed and several times the entire crowd was laughing out loud.  Recommended if you have the opportunity to catch him!

#593 5-14-2017 2:53 AM

vances wrote:

And now for something completely different...

smile

I'm jealous - I caught him on the radio once and almost had to pull the car over because I was laughing so hard!

#594 5-14-2017 3:10 PM

Lupobianco
Andy
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 319

MrD3071 wrote:

+1!  This is a great book.    Painful to read in parts, but absolutely compelling.

#595 5-20-2017 9:41 PM

sarahelaine wrote:

Greatly appreciate your comment.  I actually had to beg out early from a business dinner and when asked where I was going, made the mistake of mentioning David was gay (of course nobody had ever heard of him)...which engendered a few suspicious looks!  Good grief.     smile

#596 5-23-2017 11:06 AM

Maurizioago
Maurizio
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 146

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

At the moment I am reading a book about to overcome procrastination. I don't remember the tile now. It has something to do with 15 minutes....

#597 5-31-2017 7:13 PM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

The Taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory. I've been wanting to read something of hers for some time now so this month's book club pick is finally satisfying that.

#598 6-2-2017 3:50 AM

rolfasp22
Rolf
Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 15

GeorgeLeach wrote:

Personally I love reading and always have something on the go. Reading sharpens the mind. I imagine many of you read as well when you have time to kill on your travels or perhaps just in general. So the topic is simple; what are you reading at the moment? What's it like so far? Enjoying it? Hating it? Just simply want to list it? Go for it!

Currently I'm reading two books:

On War by Carl von Clausewitz and Confessions of an English Opium Eater and Other Writings by Thomas De Quincey.

Share yours!

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie.

#599 6-10-2017 8:24 PM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

The beauty of travel and friends.  I recently finished "Destiny of the Republic" by Candice Millard...biography of US President James Garfield (which I heard good things about and read as possible gift for my mother).  Garfield was assassinated months into his initial term and confess the abbreviated tenure left me ignorant of the man.  The book is very well written and reveals an incredibly upstanding human being I am ashamed to be ignorant of.

The book turned me on to his home, Lawnfield, near Cleveland, Ohio (I recently relocated to the other side of the state) so I ventured there last weekend.  My friend Cindy moved to Cleveland twenty years ago so I contacted her to join me.  Turns out she was unaware of Lawnfield, but expanded my horizons by informing me about the Garfield Memorial at Lakeside Cemetery near her home.

Garfield and his wife are interred at this Memorial, a splendid dome offering excellent views of downtown Cleveland and a remarkable site.  Over 109,000 plots are on the grounds, including John D. Rockefeller (the original dude who amassed the family fortune) in a stretch known as Millionaire's Row.  Cindy led me to the plot of Eliot Ness and as we ambled about came upon a tombstone shaped like a jukebox --- Alan Freed!  Harvey Pekar is also buried here, and I was tickled to see all the pens plunged into his plot by fans.

Not one to factor graveyards on itineraries, but the expansive collection of magnificent angel sculptures and celebrities made for a compelling visit.  Books lead to cool stuff!

#600 6-11-2017 6:26 PM

smile

We visited Lawnfield for Father's Day last year! My dad loves history.

Board footer