#551 10-29-2016 9:43 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Just finished the disturbing "Arc of Justice" by Kevin Boyle.  Well written coverage of a black family's ill-fated attempt to move into a white neighborhood in Detroit, Michigan in the 1920's.  Came away appreciating Clarence Darrow (really know very little about him), but saddened how reminiscent the tragedy was of the Gunpowder Treason in England (see above, lol).  How can we harbor so much angst against anyone 'different' when history is so compelling how we are all so similar once we are willing to get to know one another???

sad

#552 11-7-2016 11:53 AM

traveldoc1984
Calvin
Johnson City, Tennessee
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Currently rereading Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the Dead". It's the sequel to his more well-known Ender's Game.

Last edited by traveldoc1984 (11-7-2016 11:53 AM)

#553 11-12-2016 9:05 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

traveldoc1084 wrote:

Currently rereading Orson Scott Card's "Speaker for the Dead". It's the sequel to his more well-known Ender's Game.

How was it?  I thought "Ender's Game" was remarkable, but read it about twenty years ago (25?) and everyone told me Orson's other literature was lacking (no idea what his other pieces were), so interested whether the  sequel is worthy???

#554 11-13-2016 1:16 PM

traveldoc1984
Calvin
Johnson City, Tennessee
Tourist

vances wrote:

traveldoc1084 wrote:

How was it?  I thought "Ender's Game" was remarkable, but read it about twenty years ago (25?) and everyone told me Orson's other literature was lacking (no idea what his other pieces were), so interested whether the  sequel is worthy???

I've read the entire Ender series and Speaker for the Dead is, by far, my favorite book in the collection. It's nothing like Ender's Game. It's a lot more cerebral, and Card hits on some heavy themes in this book (e.g., religion, war, etc.). There's very little action but a lot of character development and philosophy. Ender and his siblings are all adults in this book and their relationships more complex. Even the introduction to this book is excellent and highly worth a read.  In it Card mentions that he actually started on Speaker before Ender and intended it to serve as a stand alone novel, albeit it being published as a sequel. I even get the impression Speaker is his favorite book in his series.

By the way the kindle edition is less than 3 bucks on Amazon. I bought it for travel reading, although I will always prefer the feel and smell of an actual book in my hands.

Last edited by traveldoc1984 (11-13-2016 1:23 PM)

#555 12-10-2016 9:25 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

traveldoc1984 wrote:

By the way the kindle edition is less than 3 bucks on Amazon. I bought it for travel reading, although I will always prefer the feel and smell of an actual book in my hands.

I can go either way with books --> like you, prefer hard copies, but Kindle is not significant departure (if they would price these more appropriately I would likely buy much more Kindle).  Did not see "Speaker for the Dead" pried at $3...but it is now on my list!  THANKS!

smile

#556 12-10-2016 9:42 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

And while we are on the subject of travel reads...need to share an astonishing discovery.  The "Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko ---> a brilliant celebration of the deep beauty of the Grand Canyon in the United States.  Confess I was circumspect at the beginning, but this is a marvelous work that relates modern (i.e., Western European) discovery, exploration, transfiguration and experience of this natural wonder.

Though I have glimpsed the marvel of the Grand Canyon, this gem inspires me to return and ride the water to truly taste the remarkable grandeur....highly recommended!

#557 12-14-2016 7:53 PM

diisha392
Meredith
Columbiana, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Working on three right now including The Book Thief

#558 12-17-2016 4:56 PM

traveldoc1984
Calvin
Johnson City, Tennessee
Tourist

vances wrote:

traveldoc1984 wrote:

I can go either way with books --> like you, prefer hard copies, but Kindle is not significant departure (if they would price these more appropriately I would likely buy much more Kindle).  Did not see "Speaker for the Dead" pried at $3...but it is now on my list!  THANKS!

smile

Let me know what you think!

#559 12-29-2016 12:56 PM

london110
Dorota
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

#560 1-7-2017 8:59 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

traveldoc1984 wrote:

Let me know what you think!

Wow, Calvin - thank you.  Confess I was befuddled at the beginning, but what a mighty imagination (with respect to envisioning alternate life forms) which can be wedded to philosophic concerns.  A really good book!

smile

#561 1-8-2017 5:11 AM

RogerB1903
Roger
Illogan, England
Couch Potato

The Road To Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. (An Aussie living in the UK describing his trips around England) Very funny.

#562 1-10-2017 6:13 PM

diisha392
Meredith
Columbiana, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Still working on several (including a random goal of reading several picture books a week) but my main one right now is Heat Wave which is the first in a series based on the TV series Castle.

#563 1-21-2017 1:32 PM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I am currently reading "Bill Bryson - Road to little Dribbling". He has written quite a few interesting books about his travels. I can highly recommend his travel books. My favourite travel book of him is probably "Neither here nor there" about his travels in Europe.

#564 1-21-2017 9:52 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

HORSCHECK wrote:

I am currently reading "Bill Bryson - Road to little Dribbling". He has written quite a few interesting books about his travels. I can highly recommend his travel books. My favourite travel book of him is probably "Neither here nor there" about his travels in Europe.

Agree Bryson's travel books are fantastic, though I have not enjoyed his other offerings so much. Although they are chock full of interesting tidbits, it is overwhelming and there does not seem to be a theme beyond "I'm just going to spout trivia ("Home" and "Mother Tongue" come to mind).  But after this disappointment I wind up reading one of his travel tomes and come away astonished with his brilliant wit and insight.

PS.  I thought I saw in this thread it was mentioned he was an Aussie, but he is American, despite having lived a chunk of his life in the UK, I think.

Last edited by vances (1-21-2017 9:53 PM)

#565 1-22-2017 7:04 PM

traveldoc1984
Calvin
Johnson City, Tennessee
Tourist

Thinking about rereading Buck's 'The Good Earth'.

#566 1-22-2017 9:30 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

HORSCHECK wrote:

I haven't read much of his more recent stuff but his "Walk in the Woods" and "In a Sunburnt Country" are 2 of my favourite books.

As to what I'm reading now I'm just getting started on Troublesome Young Men by Lynne Olsen about the group of Tories who opposed British PM Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler.

#567 1-26-2017 6:46 AM

ranger49
Barbara
Wales, United Kingdom
Couch Potato

I belong to two reading groups so usually have at least two books on the go .
Currently they are The Audacity of Hope  by Barack Obama and Where my Heart Used To Beat by Sebastian Faulks.
For bedtime reading I have just finished The Truth in Masquerade  by Carole Strachan (new writer 1st book) and Olive Kitteridge  by Elizabeth Sprout.
My birthday is not long before Christmas  so I have a pile of books received as gifts on the "waiting to be read shelf".

#568 1-28-2017 4:24 AM

GeorgeLeach
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King. A collection of short horror stories, naturally.

#569 2-6-2017 9:48 AM

77LoveLife66
Dublin, Ireland
Couch Potato

Ernest Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises
Been spending the last while working through the classics.
Hemingway/ Scott Fitzgerald/ George Orwell....
They're classics for a reason.
smile

#570 2-10-2017 11:52 PM

pepe88
Giuseppe
Palermo, Italy
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Roald Dahl - Charlie and the chocolate factory

#571 2-11-2017 8:46 AM

travelerd
Dia
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Couch Potato

I am reading Productive Workplaces: Dignity, Meaning, and Community in the 21st Century by Marvin Wesibord.

#572 2-12-2017 5:47 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide to Thriving in the Age of Accelerations, by Thomas L. Friedman

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51sKMra7OcL.SX150.jpg

#573 2-18-2017 7:44 AM

irenem
Irene
Hong Kong
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato

Just finished 'Fludd' by Hiliary Mantell.

#574 2-18-2017 8:06 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Wanderer

nolan wrote:

Thank You for Being Late: An Optimist's Guide to Thriving in the Age of Accelerations, by Thomas L. Friedman

Curious to learn your opinion...I was somewhat disappointed.  Though engaging as always, Friedman did not introduce any revelations, which I have come to expect.  Despite enjoying reinforcement of current opinions, I was not astounded.  I recognize that is a harsh expectation, but Tom consistently introduced brilliant new planes of thought before.

#575 2-19-2017 1:10 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

vances wrote:

nolan wrote:

Curious to learn your opinion...I was somewhat disappointed.  Though engaging as always, Friedman did not introduce any revelations, which I have come to expect.  Despite enjoying reinforcement of current opinions, I was not astounded.  I recognize that is a harsh expectation, but Tom consistently introduced brilliant new planes of thought before.

I got distracted after a few chapters because I am now reading an earlier Thomas Friedman book:

http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/9781250013729-200x300.jpg

I'll get back to you after I finish this one.

Board footer