#26 2-15-2013 12:18 AM

Jasmin
Manila, Philippines
Posts: 27

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Game of Thrones... stopped halfway to read some of Philippa Gregory's... now I am back.

#27 2-15-2013 2:12 AM

Peterr1980
Peter
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 252

dahling wrote:

Intersting, how it is illegal in Germany (and Turkey) but can be reprinted in others countries.

Here in Slovenia we recently got a translation of the book and it became a bestseller smile

#28 2-15-2013 6:56 AM

dahling
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster II
Posts: 4773

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

ah - interesting fact is that Bavaria still gets a percentage of the sold copies until 2016 even though not allowed to sell or reprint in German. I do not understand this logic sad

#29 2-15-2013 11:05 AM

GeorgeLeach
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1293

Holeydel wrote:

I'm struggling with Adolf Hitler's Mein Kamph - interesting read though.

I'm told its the ramblings of a madman by people who've read it. What do you make of it?

#30 2-16-2013 12:39 PM

MarkA02
Mark
Sightseer
Posts: 77

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Author Howard Blum's  "The Floor of Heaven."

I highly recommend this book for those who like real life adventure.  The story is of rough, resourceful men.  Explorers, adventurers, gold seekers, the  book's protagonists, and the men around them as they fight for livelihoods, dreams and survival.   These are men in unchartered territory, right in the middle of Alaska's brutal wilderness. This book is more than just another story about the Yukon Gold Rush, it is a tale of the untamed northwest with many wily characters told through the lives of three different men.  First is criminal and con artist Jefferson "Soapy" Smith, then the entrepreneurial prospector and adventurist George Carmack.  Last is the man who becomes a Pinkerton detective, Charlie Siringo.  To many, Siringo is a very legitimate, genuine hero figure.  The author provides a lively read, telling many stories of their hopes and struggles, how the three men's lives intersect during the Alaska gold rush.  The author admits to some embellishment, but, overall, historians are backing up that the book is an authentic non fiction work.   So for me ideal --  drama in real life, history from an iconic time period, and action/adventure telling rolled into one.

I am sorry to write so much.  But perhaps this wakens interest for this book (and audio CD book)  in others.  Particularly those who are thinking of a trip to Alaska's Yukon territory.  This book makes for good background travel information.

It is anticipated that this will be a movie out in 2014 or 2015 latest.  Twentieth Century Fox has the film rights.

Last edited by MarkA02 (2-23-2013 1:49 AM)

#31 2-17-2013 7:45 AM

Holeydel
Manchester, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 877

dahling wrote:

Cos the last time the Germans listened.... never mind.

#32 2-17-2013 7:53 AM

Holeydel
Manchester, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 877

GeorgeLeach wrote:

Holeydel wrote:

I'm struggling with Adolf Hitler's Mein Kamph - interesting read though.

I'm only a short way through, but so far I think it's an awesome read. Everybody knows of World War Two, but nobody knows how it started - this begins to give an insight.

I find I have to have a dictionary as I read it though, as it's written by smart guy who uses smart words. And it's translated from and into dialect used in the 30's, so many of the words aren't used in today's language - or at least my lingo.

So far there's no mad man ramblings going on, just his breakdown, opinion and reasons for why Germany has gone to shit.

#33 2-17-2013 4:52 PM

Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1363

callufrax wrote:

The Great Railway Bazaar, by Paul Theroux.

Great book. I really enjoy the way he writes. You should also reed, Ghost Train to the Eastern Star. In this book he go on almost the same journey as in the book you are reading, but 30 years later. very interesting, he sees the differences in the country and himself from the first trip

#34 2-17-2013 5:03 PM

Bergen, Norway
Posts: 1363

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

I'm reading, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest , by Steig Larsson.
Very exiting

#35 2-17-2013 7:54 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

I am part of the bookclub here in Sanya but didn't read about the travel book so this month is Sushi for Beginners.

#36 2-18-2013 4:51 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 6046

I am reading about Pi

#37 2-19-2013 1:32 AM

Paulovic wrote:

I am reading about Pi

Life of Pi is coming up in two months time...but have it all on Kidle!

#38 2-19-2013 1:45 AM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Since my current book is on the way (not even 10 pages yet) my previous book is "Heart Burn" by Nora Aphron. Have to admit that can't really put it down. I didn't watch movie with the same name and same screen writer with the author. It is about the heartbroken, betrayal and how to pick yourself up.  I am happy with the book and with strength that Rachel, the main character decide to do after all.

Then I got myself a questions, what will I do if something similar happened to me?

P.S. Her recipe in the book is not work for me, if any of you read and tried, please tell me if it is success. I would love to do a good lime pie wink

#39 2-21-2013 11:41 PM

Jigg
Žiga
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 674

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

I just started reading Game of Thrones. I just got to page 20 so I can't comment much. I have seen the HBO series and heard a lot about the books so my expectations are high.

#40 2-22-2013 12:41 AM

Hannah86
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 69

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Currently im reading Confessions of a working girl (true story) and Why Men Marry Bitches (Self help book).

#41 2-22-2013 10:16 PM

marix_sublime
Maricar
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1046

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Currently reading Supreme Justice by Philip Margolin.

Last edited by marix_sublime (2-25-2013 7:10 AM)

#42 2-24-2013 1:21 AM

AKBree
Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 21

MarkA02 wrote:

Author Howard Blum's  "The Floor of Heaven."

Yukon Territory is part of Canada, not Alaska.  Sorry to be nitpicking.  :-)

#43 2-24-2013 3:06 AM

margunn wrote:

callufrax wrote:

The Great Railway Bazaar, by Paul Theroux.

These sound interesting. I enjoy most books about trains and ships. I'll check Amazon for these or wait for my RTW trip. THanks.

#44 2-24-2013 3:12 AM

TravChef wrote:

Oh wow, that sounds interesting! I miss sushi after living in Hawaii for 20 years. I spent a year in Iraq and had all the ingredients sent to make spam musibi including the press and rice steamer! We bought the rice from the Iraqis. One of my favorite snacks!

#45 2-24-2013 3:15 AM

Hannah86 wrote:

Currently im reading Why Men Marry Bitches (Self help book).

WOW, I could have used this years ago! smile

#46 2-24-2013 3:36 AM

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW?

I am currently reading Cash Flow for Life by Scott McGillivray. This book tells how to take advantage of the mess our country's leaders have made of the residential real estate market to build a life long cash flow.

It is not very entertaining but the knowledge it gives is priceless.

#47 2-24-2013 4:13 AM

Hannah86 wrote:

I checked Amazon and the first book is available but only as a paperback, no Kindle download. The second one is available as a Kindle but I am not going to read it because I already know the ans, coz men are stupid and horny.

#48 2-24-2013 4:29 AM

TravChef wrote:

For the first situation you would just pick yourself up, dust off and continue on like the rest of us have. Life does not end with a broken heart.

For the pie, in the US this pie is called Key Lime Pie and it is very good! My mother made a delicious one when she was still living and I am going to copy her recipe from my sister when I go home for a visit soon. I can not remember all the details of her recipe but below is one I found on the Internet that is close to my mother's pie.

5 egg yolks, beaten

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup key lime juice

1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

Check All Add to Shopping List
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into unbaked graham cracker shell.
    Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Top with whipped topping and garnish with lime slices if desired.
'
My mother added some fresh key limes to her pie but I don't remember all but that it was YUMMY!

And yes I like to cook, learned a lot from my mother about cooking, and I am still a manly man! tongue

#49 2-26-2013 5:39 PM

anupa_rk
Anupa
Tampa, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 217

engr_jasmin wrote:

Did you get through the entire series. I tried so hard but gave up after book 5. It just became so depressing!

#50 2-27-2013 9:47 PM