#1 12-6-2012 5:59 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

Another topic to read and discuss. While one can go solo in some of these countries, the article implies doing so will take out the fun and safety aspects. I'd say that travel is more fun when multiplied by more traveling companions, but sometimes solo is the only option (and then just meet people along the way).

http://www.ajc.com/news/travel/8-places … one/nTLM5/

#2 12-6-2012 6:32 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 16364

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

Can't say I agree with that article. The general theme seems to be to say it's difficult to travel alone and therefore you should do a guided tour and here's some guided tours.

Of the places mentioned in the article, I travelled in Russia, China, India, Machu Picchu, Egypt and Jordan on my own and had no safety/health or any other issues whatsoever. It was easy to meet other travellers in same situation.

In Russia, I met some Travbuddies from this site. My other travels were before this site or before I got to know people in the countries concerned through it.

#3 12-6-2012 8:37 AM

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

Yeah, it seems the article is promoting certain tour companies at an average cost of over $2,000-3,000 per tour which average 10 nights including airfare. The author didn't mention though what type of average traveler she was referring to, but obviously to an American audience, primarily from New York (where airfare is quoted from).

#4 12-6-2012 8:53 AM

Soultrekker
Jared
Dallas, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 194

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I can only comment on Russia and Egypt. I went to Russia on my own and did my own thing and loved every minute of it. I did hire a guide in Moscow only for the fact that I didnt want to miss any of the main highlights of the city. But other than that I felt very safe in Russia...I even had my visa expire when I was there due to my own fault. But the authorities were very understanding and accomodating and helped me extend my visa. Met some great people at my hostel there!

Egypt...well...hmm. It was lovely when me and my wife went...but that was way back in  2002, even before the war in Iraq started....so we americans were not hated as much back then,,,,haha. But...dunno...seems a little dodgy there right now.

#5 12-6-2012 9:40 PM

vickie-lou
Vickie
Northampton, England
Posts: 215

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I can understand people WANTING to do tours in these areas but I don't think that you would NEED to do a tour in them if you were confident and knowledgeable enough to do them on your own. I did China with a tour and about to do (parts) of Russia with a tour but I have always thought of doing Egypt, Machu Picchu and (possibly) Kenya either on my own or with friends. I guess the more you travel the more you realise whether you're a tour person or a solo person, it all depends on what you're comfortable with doing

#6 12-6-2012 10:24 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1933

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

My impression is that this is an arm-chair researched article for a travel magazine or on-line travel website. By this I mean the author didn't actually visit all these places and report on the experience, but wrote about it rather as an arm-chair traveler based on researching the topic from other books and articles. I wouldn't say the advice is bad, but I think at the least it's misleading and ingenuous. It really depends a great deal on your experience as a traveler whether solo travel to some places is right for you.

#7 12-6-2012 11:00 PM

smurfzzz
Teresa
Singapore
Award: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 22

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I been travelling to China alone umpteen times, and not to mention, I'm a female. I had also met girls who travel to India alone.

I think it boils down to individual on whether you are street savvy.

#8 12-7-2012 3:48 AM

mosted
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 932

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

They directly provide links for group-travel offers for all the mentioned countries. Thats just advertising and definitely bullshit.

Last edited by mosted (12-7-2012 3:48 AM)

#9 12-7-2012 4:03 AM

almond72
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster II
Wanderer
Posts: 487

fransglobal wrote:

Hey bub, few people don't mess with an IRA broker or arms dealers.
Look at the travel list above.... lol
roll

#10 12-7-2012 11:43 AM

Dr_Seuss
Ian
Glasgow, Scotland
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 801

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

Looks more like advertising than travel research.

#11 12-8-2012 12:07 AM

pramodlad
Posts: 13

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I completely agree with you, India like any other free democracy is a  safe place to travel alone  if you follow some basic common sense rules, which are applicable anywhere in the world. If one is aware of her surroundings, well informed about the place and highly disciplined with the dos and don'ts recommended for the place,  she will always have a very peaceful travel experience. Otherwise the whole globe is as dangerous a place as  any other mentioned in the list.

Last edited by pramodlad (12-8-2012 12:10 AM)

#12 12-8-2012 5:43 AM

clamdigger53
Robert
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Award: Vox Populi III
Posts: 995

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

A written article is only one person's opinion.
  Those are paid for opinions,written by tour companies. A sad read for me though since i hope to go to Russia and China one day.Spent many months in India and would love to go back,hard to believe things have changed that much. If i want the facts,i come here.

Last edited by clamdigger53 (2-10-2013 6:29 AM)

#13 12-8-2012 10:36 AM

GeorgeLeach
George
Bristol, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1167

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I thought it was going to be like Chad, Iraq, Somalia, etc. Those listed aren't exactly terrifying destinations.

#14 12-8-2012 6:57 PM

world-traveller123
JR
Thunder Bay, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 878

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I agree. but best information
is at
www.excitingworldtravels.com

#15 12-10-2012 9:55 AM

selva2012
Selva
Mauritius
Posts: 2

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I just travelled to mozambique. believe me its not a place to travel alone. security is not a problem if you staying a decent hotel but theres not much to do if you are alone unless u just needed a break by yourself to relax for a short time.

#16 12-10-2012 11:58 AM

restless123
Posts: 6

I hear Russia is ok if you're white.

But if you're a visible minority, you have to watch out for the xenophobic skinheads.

#17 12-10-2012 4:53 PM

Jamal1280
Jamal
West Palm Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1590

I hear Russia is ok if you're white.

I've heard the same thing sad But one Russian TB has assured me this is not a general problem, at least in the major cities.

#18 12-11-2012 7:36 AM

Polh
Pol
Belgium
Posts: 53

Jamal1280 wrote:

I hear Russia is ok if you're white.

In my country its dangerous to travel alone in Brussels because as a white person you are in the minority. Just the opposite as in Russia I guess.

My Canadian friend he had some trouble when visiting this city. Oh and Belgian police ain't gonne help you cause they are scared themselves.

I live in Belgium and because of safety reasons I hate Brussels, better to stay away.
Those who want to visit Belgium go to Bruges,Ghent and Antwerpen more fun there.

Last edited by Polh (12-11-2012 7:36 AM)

#19 12-11-2012 7:44 AM

Lifestobelived
Mark
Perth, Australia
Posts: 69

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I have traveled Egypt on my own, have traveled to Machu Picchu with a friend but could have easily done on my own and am planning to head to Russia on my own...  The back blocks of Africa and going to game reserves and national parks is probably one of the main places i would choose a tour instead, most other places i am happy to take on on my own....

#20 12-11-2012 12:38 PM

FileJunkie
Ilya
Erfurt, Germany
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 109

Skinheads are extinct.
Nazi hooligans do exist, but they're extremely rare and hard to find if you're tourist and hang out at the city center.

pramodlad wrote:

India like any other free democracy is a  safe place to travel alone

To be fair, Belarus is not a free democracy (even less democratic then Russia and of course Ukraine), but extremely safe. No, really.
And I guess that in DPRK (what can be more authoritarian?) your biggest danger is slipping on a banana peel..

Last edited by FileJunkie (12-11-2012 12:39 PM)

#21 12-12-2012 4:38 AM

beachbabe
Karla
Posts: 6

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

none of those places interest me anyway.

#22 12-12-2012 1:08 PM

Posts: 150

Polh wrote:

Jamal1280 wrote:

I hear Russia is ok if you're white.

I lived in Bruxelles for many years and used to go out alone with my friends, like Belgian people did, like foreigners did... We'd go out for drinks, cinema, restaurants, etc...

White are not in minority in Belgium, there's a large African community in Brussels, yes that's true, but the large majority of foreigners in Belgium are there working for the EU and being of European origin mostly are white.

It may be that there's trouble in some parts of the city, like any other city there may be the odd dodgy areas that's best to avoid! That I would agree with. As a teenager I know in some areas I used to get followed by men, I understood why I did happen, as a general rule I would avoid these areas at night and stick only to the main streets during the day if really I had to be there (ie visit a friend)...and things were obvious as I was walking about, by car it was hardly noticeable...

#23 12-13-2012 2:43 AM

drmcflurry
Mike
Maldives
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 52

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

I hate advertising disguised as travel articles.  Although the writer has some points you would never find me traveling in a tour group with flags waving and a tour guide with a megaphone.  People who travel alone tend to be more easy going and have better experiences; however, I always keep in mind to let someone know where I am just in case something happens.

The only places you shouldn't be traveling alone are the places you shouldn't be traveling at all (e.g. terrorist hotspots).  You can't imagine how these guys can turn your world into living hell and make you regret traveling at all.

#24 12-14-2012 4:46 AM

exmouthfish
Marc
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1021

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

The only one i would not like to travel alone is Honduras, not the islands of course.

#25 12-27-2012 5:48 PM

Re: 8 Places where you shouldn't travel alone

After the angry protests and all in the light of the rape cases in New Delhi, solo women travelers better think twice about this place or ask friends who are locals to accompany them during their trips outside. It seems that even traveling with one male friend alone is still dangerous, as was the case in the latest incident involving a stolen bus less than 2 weeks ago.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer