#1 12-5-2012 2:57 AM

My bad experience with TravBuddy

I decide to go to India in my vacation and i ask my friends to go
With me but everyone refuse to go to India then i search in internet
fir website aloow to traveller to meet each other then i find TB

I was so happy then i sent messeges to travellers when 3 accepted
to see me in India i give them my E mail and phone number after
That I reached to India and i email them but no one reply  ......

I spent my vacation moving alone in India and it was the worst
Trip I ever had sad , i was so disappointed for what happened sad
And i decided to not depend in TravBuddy to get company .

After i forget the feeling of this bad experience i decide to write subject to see
1- if there people face the same experience ?
2- What the best way to contact to traveller ( e-mail,phone number..etc )?
3- if you prefer appointment feature ( that gives the chance to specify the place and time of meeting )in TB ?

I can't wait tell i hear your opinions smile

#2 12-5-2012 4:23 AM

Montreal, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

Sorry about your bad experience, I also travelled to India alone and although it wasn't easy it was probably one of the best experiences of my life. I couchsurfed and met some great people.

All in all it's I think it's better not to depend on people through the internet, most are unreliable and don't reply to messages. It's really not easy finding a Travbuddy sometimes. I find that facebook and couchsurfing give you a better idea of the person than TB profiles. But people are people... and the internet is easy, there is no commitment. In a way this is no different than a dating site, people choose who they want to meet. Even if they are travelling the same time as you to the same place, if they don't like your face you won't get a reply. That's been my experience anyway.

#3 12-5-2012 6:33 AM

hujera
Marek
Scotland, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 212

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

Hi, don't be disappointed. Just try to find another ones. This is about travelling and exploring the interesting places. Even if you travel alone, you can do so. I don't rely 100% on the website, that it will guarantee travel buddies for me. Life is about meeting different people. Even, if somebody promises me to meet, it doesn't mean that I would totally believe this and nothing else would exist.

People have got different interests and sometimes even the cultural differences make it more complicated. For some people it is easy to promise something, but keep on promises is a different question. But I also agree, that people shouldn't promise anything, that they cannot keep on, or at least apologize for not doing so.

Enjoy your travelling. Remember, it is your holidays, so even if the other people don't turn up, try to see as much as you can and get just nice memories. :-)

Last edited by hujera (12-5-2012 6:38 AM)

#4 12-5-2012 7:04 AM

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

I agree with Marek's point of view.

I had a travel buddy in Laos, we met via CS, and kept in contact on a regular basis before the trip. If people aren't replying to your messages, discussing travel plans, dates and interests, it's not a good sign. True, people also change plans, meet other people, may want to travel with someone of the same age or gender, there are so many factors involved. But regardless, people should be honest about their expectations and who they want as a travbuddy.

Added note: I've frequently offered to meet travbuddies visiting my city for a drink or an outing, they sounded very happy to here from me, but once they were here I never heard from them.

Last edited by altmtl (12-5-2012 7:14 AM)

#5 12-5-2012 8:21 AM

Deats
Philip
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 518

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

You only have ONLY 4 photos on your profile.

You have only been a member for 2 months.

You have no blogs.

You have no reviews.

You have no comments.

Your profile is basically empty.

You have made 1 friend (so who are all these other 'friends' from travbuddy who agreed to meet you?!)

It doesn't matter if you are on travbuddy, couchsurfing, or any other internet site, people will not be willing to meet you when you share no information about yourself. How can they trust you.... more importantly WHY should they trust you?

Would you just walk into a bar, say "Lets be friends. I will meet you in a month. Bye." Then expect that person to meet you again?

Try spending more than 2 minutes 'making friends' and I am sure you will make some real friends.

#6 12-5-2012 8:36 AM

Valid Point smile

#7 12-5-2012 8:46 AM

Eric
Eric
Honolulu, Hawaii
Administrator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2191

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

Sorry you had a bad experience. I don't know the particulars of your experience but Phil brings up some valid points. If you only exchanged a message or two with a few users, got contact info, and then didn't contact them again until you were on your trip - I imagine the success rate would be pretty low.

As in real life, you have to cultivate relationships to make them worthwhile.

#8 12-5-2012 9:05 AM

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

Then again, even as a regular with photos, info, blogs, etc the experience can be similar... people in general always tend to look on the bright side, talk about how awesome the trip was and so on. Some people have lousy trips for whatever the reason.

#9 12-5-2012 11:06 AM

Thanx for answer Marek , jim and Philip

I know that i don't have topics and many pictures
But this is not excuse, they give me appointment .....
They reply to me and give me there e-mail so hmm

If they afraid of me they shouldn't reply me many times
And even that what could happen to them if we meet in
Taj mahal or ant famous place , nothing will happens
Cause we are in public ....

I want to share my point with you , maybe i hate
What's happened because i don't like to be alone
Cause i always hang out with my friends

I learn something in my trip , never travel alone smile
Even when you plan to see people

This advice myabe it will help someone wink

#10 12-5-2012 11:08 AM

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

Also they were men and not girls to be afraid  loooool

#11 12-5-2012 11:21 AM

Dr_Seuss
Ian
Glasgow, Scotland
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 795

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

Would never base a trip on meeting up with people I didn't really know. Have arranged to meet folk plenty of times as part of a trip, but did recently make a trip to meet up with a TB I know very well, and all have worked out well.

Even for meeting up, even if it was just for an evening, there was a fair amount of contact before it. At the end of the day though I had my own plans and if the meets hadn't happend I would have got on with what I wanted to do anyway.

#12 12-5-2012 12:26 PM

westwind57
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 423

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

It's true that it is rude to not show up at a meet-up, once it has been decided by both, BUT....

What Philip said was exactly my first thought too, and I also agree fully with Ian. On my first meet-up, at my home country airport with a relatively new member flying in, we had already been in frequent contact about what she could do, see etc. I did have to be around there anyway, so it would not have been a huge thing if we could not have met. It was a short meet-up but we had a good time

On the second mini meet-up, with two TB members, I knew the TB friend who arranged where to meet already through many comments and PM's, over a longer period of time here on the site. Of course that was more like meeting people whom you already know quite well, only had not met in person yet.

In my opinion making friends here is always a two way street. It takes investing quite some time (postings, blogs, pictures etc.) before people can get some idea who you are. You can't expect to walk into here just like that, contribute next to nothing to the site and tell little about yourself, and then expect everybody to spend a lot of time on answering your every question, let alone meeting up with you. It usually doesn't work like that.

Last edited by westwind57 (12-5-2012 12:28 PM)

#13 12-5-2012 12:34 PM

JJguinness
JR
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 55

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

You never know what will happen when traveling. Best made plans fall apart. Relying on other people usually ends up in disappointment. Not defending the people who blew you off but maybe they had to work or had other unforeseen commitments to attend to. You're on vacation they are not. It isn't right they mislead you but in the end you should always be prepared for plans to fall through.

I travel alone and fine it suits me better. When I desire company or conversation I head to the nearest Irish/English/Aussie Pub have a pint or 2 and usually make new friends. Also staying in hostels and backpackers helps with meeting fellow travelers. No-one talks to each other in hotels.

You learned a valuable lesson, now you know what not to do next time. smile

#14 12-5-2012 1:54 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 3525

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

Personally, I've met about 100 - 150 TBers with no problems at all.  There probably have been a few that either I've contacted, or I have been contacted by with a view to travelling, or joining part of a travel, with, that hasn't materialised.  It doesn't bother me at all.  I don't worry if I just turn up; I know I'll make new friends in each and every place anyway.

TravBuddy is brilliant for meeting others, and you shouldn't be discouraged because your first attempts fail.  Maybe it came across as a bit pressured that you were looking to travel with people all the way through your trip.  It's not how it works.  Everyone wants their own thing from travels, and if you meet up with someone, perhaps you have a lot of over-lapping ideas and interests, but you cannot rely solely on your own plans.  I would suggest trying to meet travellers more on an informal basis first i.e a coffee or beer somewhere.  If you get on and have similar plans, you talk about it all in person, and go from there.

#15 12-5-2012 4:57 PM

clamdigger53
Robert
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Award: Vox Populi III
Posts: 995

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

It's Not a good idea to depend on strangers,ENJOY.It's your trip,your money,the best plan of all is to be opened eyes,opened minded! In a poker game does your money depend on others?In this big,WONDERFUL WORLD a great trip is almost guarantied!

#16 12-5-2012 5:34 PM

suprman
Johnny
Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

What a bummer.  Don't depend or expect meetup to fall through, especially with people whom you have never met.   Yes, I don't like to travel alone as well.

I hooked up with a Travbuddy while in Las Vegas, contacting through email first and switched phone #.  Meetup in Vegas along with 3 other site members.  Good first experience.  I may return to Vegas next week so hoping to meetup with some Travbuddy mates if I do.  Happy travel!

#17 12-5-2012 5:44 PM

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas tongue

#18 12-5-2012 5:58 PM

lilpixie123
Pixie
Singapore
Posts: 38

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

i guess you shouldnt rely on others that much?

i planning for a solo trip in Feb 2013. Doing all the planning by myself and organizing using Tripit. There are people from TB & CS msg that they are interested, and would want to join me. I share with them my plans & link to my itinenary. But I would keep an open mind to it.

If they REALLY able to join, then it will be perfect. The more the merrier! However if last minute, they back out or just MIA, my trip would still be good smile Afterall my original plan is to travel solo. I still go to places I want, I still do the things I plan.

#19 12-5-2012 6:06 PM

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

I think it's a lot easier to to connect with travbuddies when you become friends with them on facebook, it's more up to date and if people are really interested in meeting at one point, they are more likely to add you as a friend and keep in contact.

#20 12-6-2012 7:44 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1185

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

it happened to me when I was in Bali and Sydney. many TB sign up for the meet up but only one show up.  It didn't deter me to meet with other TB as the point of my travel is to enjoy myself.

If nobody come to the meet up, I will just do other things and don't bother with the TB who promised to come but didn't show up, not even any apologies or try to contact me.  I don't know this new TB friend and if the first behavior is not  communicate openly and responsibly of what itself saying, what is the point to be friend with that kind of person.

If this person want to know and be friend with you, that person will show up.

#21 12-6-2012 8:39 AM

Re: My bad experience with TravBuddy

I organized a local meet up last week, via CS, 7 people stated they were coming, one showed up. I didn't mind so much as it's a place I frequent on a regular basis. But, yes these things happen.

#22 12-6-2012 9:29 AM

ccjbeachbum
cj
Miami Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 11934

Deats wrote:

You only have ONLY 4 photos on your profile.

You have only been a member for 2 months.

You have no blogs.

You have no reviews.

You have no comments.

Your profile is basically empty.

ditto   well put  - i would only meet active members on tb

#23 12-6-2012 11:15 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5148

altmtl wrote:

I noticed here on TB the no-show rate is about 50%.
We had about half of those signed up that showed for our Indianapolis meet-up.
No big deal though!

#24 12-6-2012 2:13 PM

hujera
Marek
Scotland, United Kingdom
Tourist
Posts: 212

gingerbatik wrote:

If this person want to know and be friend with you, that person will show up.

I absolutelly agree. That's the point!

#25 12-6-2012 2:30 PM

Jamal1280
Jamal
West Palm Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1590

vulindlela wrote:

altmtl wrote:

I noticed here on TB the no-show rate is about 50%.
We had about half of those signed up that showed for our Indianapolis meet-up.
No big deal though!

I agree with the no-show rate, and I'm planning for it now with the Bkk meetup. I've been to enough TB meetups to know better! LOL But yeah, as long as a few people show up, I'm content big_smile

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer