#1 10-11-2012 11:13 AM

simba_cass
Tanya
Windsor, Canada
Couch Potato

Visa for Vietnam

Hey all!
OKAY so my travel agent here in Canada said that we DO NOT need a visa to travel to Veitnam for the 8 days we are going in December.
But I just read somewhere in a forum that we do.
Do any Americans or Canadians know FOR SURE if we DO or DO NOT need a visa in advance...please help me out.

#2 10-11-2012 11:19 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Visa for Vietnam

I'm pretty sure that Canadians need visa for Vietnam and normally in advance. You should contact or visit website of your nearest Vietnam consulate for details.

See here too:

www.wikitravel.org/en/Vietnam#Get_in

#3 10-11-2012 11:53 AM

anthonypham
C.N Anthony
Florida, United States
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Visa is needed

#4 10-11-2012 1:17 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Kampala, Uganda
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Look on the website for the Vietnamese consulate or embassy for your country.  Their word is likely to go.  http://www.vietem-ca.com/

#5 10-12-2012 1:36 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

You need visa to go to vietnam. You can arrange online to get a visa on arrival.

#6 10-12-2012 5:09 AM

SIMPLYREDFAN
Keith
England, United Kingdom
Sightseer

Not sure which Passport holders can get a Visa on Arrival, but here is the process if you can, I have just applied for a Business Visa ( UK Passport) so assume a Tourist Visa will follow the same process?

Visa on arrival needs to be accompanied by a confirmation letter from the Immigration department, stating your VOA is approved.  This can generally be arranged by a Tourist body / Travel Agent, in country, who will lodge the application on your behalf your Passport details will need to be sent to them in advance.  They will then send a letter confirming the VOA is approved and validity etc.

Two photocopies of the approval letter should be hand carried with you, one copy of which needs to be passed to the Airline on check in, the second when arriving in Vietnam in order to collect your visa, plus a fee of $25 US. 

As a precaution you should also have 2 x Passport photos, less than six months old as these may be required to support the two forms referenced above. 

Visas are generally granted for one month (30 days)

Hope this helps?

#7 10-12-2012 8:38 AM

Lostbeachbum
John
Baltimore, Maryland
Couch Potato

It depends on where you cross. If you cross at Ha Tien, you can get a FREE 15 day VISA for the "economic zone" but you have to leave Vietnam at the same crossing. The driver on your bus will take care of it for you for $5. Just be sure tell customs you are only shopping in Ha Tien. I went to Phu Quoc, then up to Nah Trang but I was on my own motorcycle. For short trips from the south this what alot of people I met were doing. Just don't show your passport to any officials if you get caught outside of Ha Tien because they will extort the hell out of you! Honestly though, in SE Asia you should only show officials your COPY, except for customs of course.

The 2nd easiest option is to just get a letter of approval before you leave from home, then just show up at any border and you'll receive a Visa on arrival. Hope this helps! Have fun!

#8 10-12-2012 8:54 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Lostbeachbum wrote:

The 2nd easiest option is to just get a letter of approval before you leave from home, then just show up at any border and you'll receive a Visa on arrival. Hope this helps! Have fun!

As I understamd it, visa on arrival option is only available if you land in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and Danang airports (and you must apply in advance). It is NOT available for most nationalities at land border crossings.

#9 10-24-2012 10:36 PM

kellyrose
kelly
California, United States
Couch Potato

US and Canadian citizens both need visa to enter Vietnam, surely. if you wanna save time and money, visa on arrival (VOA) is good choice, and more, it is picked up at arrival airport. there are now a lot of agencies providing VOA online for your choice, which takes only some minutes to finish visa application.

Last month my husband used this site Govietnamvisa to get VOA to Vietnam, only $20, and it was easy and quite quick, and there were no trouble at all with that. worth trying.

#10 10-29-2012 5:57 PM

Mofra
Shane
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

fransglobal wrote:

Lostbeachbum wrote:

As I understamd it, visa on arrival option is only available if you land in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and Danang airports (and you must apply in advance). It is NOT available for most nationalities at land border crossings.

That is correct (for Australians at least) - I am entering Vietnam via border crossing from Cambodia near Chau Doc and have to pre-arrange a Visa as they are unavailable at the border.

Have to send passport away to the embassy - always a little bit of a nervous affair.

#11 10-30-2012 4:06 AM

AussieMel82
Melissa
Brisbane, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Mofra wrote:

fransglobal wrote:

Lostbeachbum wrote:

That is correct (for Australians at least) - I am entering Vietnam via border crossing from Cambodia near Chau Doc and have to pre-arrange a Visa as they are unavailable at the border.

Have to send passport away to the embassy - always a little bit of a nervous affair.

Yes I agree, I had to arrange a visa in advance however received the visa on arrival at Hanoi airport. Assume it would be the same for Canadian citizens

#12 10-31-2012 6:08 PM

andrejav
Andreja
Miami Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

U need visa, it will cost $93

http://vietnam.visahq.ca/

#13 11-1-2012 6:53 PM

thanhsolo
Thanh
Dallas, Texas
Sightseer

Wow, that site is expensive.

I just got my visa from www.myvietnamvisa.com .

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer