#51 12-7-2012 7:04 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: The Eleven Heaven Club

So, where are the Eleven Heaven members from? Here's the breakdown to the best of my knowledge:

18 from the USA
8 from Netherlands
7 from UK
2 from Canada
2 from Denmark
2 from Norway
2 from Indonesia
1 from Belgium
1 from Bolivia
1 from Cyprus
1 from France
1 from Germany/China
1 from Greece
1 from Malaysia
1 from Mexico
1 from Poland

TOTAL = 50

USA is no surprise, but good showing from Netherlands and UK in the medal count.

#52 12-7-2012 7:24 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Dr_Seuss wrote:

I worked all that out as well Brian, using the same formula wink and it will be a Thursday big_smile ( Don't know the odds on your being right, but mine is just 6:1 wink )

Actually I make it to be Saturday Afternoon...about teatime... and the odds are 5:1, which just happens to be the biblical verse beginning the Sermon on the Mount. Blessed are the Big Noses (ha ha)!

#53 12-7-2012 9:11 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Sparks, Nevada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

It is nice to know where each member is from.  That shows that the numbers of members from each country are a little different than the general membership of TB.
Also, the numbers of members that are members of the Eleven Heaven that are male or female is way different than the general population.  35 are Male,13 are Female, and there are 2 Couples

#54 12-11-2012 5:28 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

spocklogic wrote:

Interesting you should ask:

Member 1-19: linear rise, avg of 1 member/day
Member 20-39: ~ linear rise, avg of 1 member/18 days.
Member 40-50: ~ retaining the trend more or less

Over all, since member 20, it's ~ 1 member every 20 days. Should be roughly another (50 x 20) days from now (approximately) or 2.74 years for member 100. I make this to be  sometime in August/September 2015. This assume, of course, the 11 awards currently available are the only limit.

Nice mathematics, Brian. But I have to disappoint you. This is too easy. There are several parameters you didnt count in this. How fast is TB growing (especially how many extra active members are joining the website before that time). How many members are close to earning their 11th award. And probably many other parameters I also did not think about. So that all counted too, will bring the date of the 100th member come earlier than you calculated. wink

#55 12-11-2012 5:31 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

spocklogic wrote:

So, where are the Eleven Heaven members from? Here's the breakdown to the best of my knowledge:

18 from the USA
8 from Netherlands
7 from UK
2 from Canada
2 from Denmark
2 from Norway
2 from Indonesia
1 from Belgium
1 from Bolivia
1 from Cyprus
1 from France
1 from Germany/China
1 from Greece
1 from Malaysia
1 from Mexico
1 from Poland

TOTAL = 50

USA is no surprise, but good showing from Netherlands and UK in the medal count.

I agree USA isn't a surprise, since it is an American website. But especially the Netherlands as being such a small not native English speaking country is quite a lot. On the other hand there are many Dutch members compared to other nationalities, so in that case I am not so surprised. Wondering when the 9th Dutch person will be added to the list! wink tongue

#56 12-14-2012 2:14 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Time to add one more, Natalie (TravellinChic) - first from the Philippines, and No. 51 overall. We were just discussing this during our meetup yesterday.

At the rate I'm going with the spambuster votes, I reckon I have about 111 days (one vote average per day) to get this. The Ambassador is relatively easier, just have to pester a few more friends smile

Looking forward to joining you folks as well, sometime next year.

#57 12-14-2012 12:33 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I actually had no idea I had all 11!  and only 50 or so do..... I thought there would have been more #dedication

#58 12-14-2012 9:21 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Sparks, Nevada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I can't believe Matthew didn't notice the congrats that he got after earning that Ambassador award back in August!  He was just so blown away it went right over his head, I guess.

And I noticed today that we have one member that is only a Travelpedian award from joining the club!! big_smile

#59 12-14-2012 10:00 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Sparks, Nevada
Globetrotter

Can I say, OOPS!?!   That person that only needed her Travelpedian was the one who earned it today!!!

Congrats to Natalie, TravellinChic!!!

#60 12-15-2012 2:07 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

X_Drive wrote:

Can I say, OOPS!?!   That person that only needed her Travelpedian was the one who earned it today!!!

First of all, yes indeed - Bravo Natalie on becoming a member of Eleven Heaven!

It's interesting how many members are so close, just like Natalie. Ambassador and/or Travelpedian are usually the awards that stop people short in entering Eleven Heaven. Here are some unusual cases, and members who have 10 awards (including Ambassador & Travelpedian), but have not made the 11th yet:

Lonnie Lee (lonlee2) - He only needs the Bedbug award
Kyle (kkrater) - He only needs Vox Populi
Bernard (bernard69) - He only needs Spambuster
Kana (Kana) - She only needs Community Leader
Dennis & Jasmyn  (TravelBuddys) - They only need Spambuster
Jackie (jamartin39) - She only needs MHHR
Chloe (Chloelf) - She only needs MHHR
Jesper (Enigmaa) - He only needs Writer
Larry (Irecht) - He only needs Vox populi
Nelieta (Tinktinkie) - She only needs Spambuster
Fabio (ishkra) - He only needs Writer
OldSchool (oldschoolbill) - He only needs MHHR
Mike (geokid) - He only needs Vox Populi

I did identify two other members who have 10 awards, but still needs Travelpedian:
Philip (pav79)
Yasuyo(yasuyo)

There are, of course, a number of members who don't have Ambassador status and fall short of Eleven Heaven. Most recently, Ian became the 50th member in finally gaining his Ambassador status. It just takes bugging some friends to try it like I did, Ian did and everyone should...

Last edited by spocklogic (12-15-2012 5:46 AM)

#61 12-15-2012 5:29 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

Paulovic wrote:

Nice mathematics, Brian. But I have to disappoint you. This is too easy. There are several parameters you didnt count in this. How fast is TB growing (especially how many extra active members are joining the website before that time). How many members are close to earning their 11th award. And probably many other parameters I also did not think about. So that all counted too, will bring the date of the 100th member come earlier than you calculated. wink

That is true, Paul, but we don't exactly know what the new members are doing here. Eric and David are betting they will pay to find a Travel Buddy. It seems to be supporting the site (financially) now and without that I hate to think what will happen if it doesn't. I've determined there are maybe 15 or so members (see above post) close to earning their 11th award (not counting those who haven't achieved Ambassador). There are a bunch of those who haven't attained Travelpedian either on top of not attaining Ambassador. I grant you, lots of 8's and 9's, but few 10's at present (including Ambassador). Here is my analysis just based on the number of members attaining EH:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/spocklogic01/TravBuddy/TB-EH-trend-1_zps6e1ffd7e.jpg

There are two scenarios here and the curve is at a critical point as you may notice. There's the quadratic trend since member 1 (upper curve) and the sort of linear trend since member 20. Will it continue quadratic, linear or something else? Only time will tell. I hope you are right, Paul, and the trend 'rolls over' so to speak, such that we see quicker ascendance to EH, but it looks like the gaps between EH awards is widening in time indicating fewer members achieving that status. As I say, the trend is at a critical stage, and 51 data points is not a lot to predict a solid trend at this point.

I'm not sure what to make of it at this point, but the reason I pay attention to statistics and trends is because they can be an indicator of things to come and knowledge is power in seeing the shape of things to come...

Last edited by spocklogic (3-8-2014 4:57 AM)

#62 12-15-2012 8:59 AM

TravellinChic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Yehey!  Glad to be part of the eleven heaven club!  Thanks so much guys for the congrats and also thanks for Nolan for telling me about eleven heaven and that I'm just one award away.  I was happy to work on my travelpedian award to complete eleven heaven coz I realized that many of the places I've been have no wiki descriptions yet esp places in my province (Bikol)! 

Happy weekend to all! smile

Hugs,

Nalie

#63 12-15-2012 5:39 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

spocklogic wrote:

X_Drive wrote:

First of all, yes indeed - Bravo Natalie on becoming a member of Eleven Heaven!

It's interesting how many members are so close, just like Natalie. Ambassador and/or Travelpedian are usually the awards that stop people short in entering Eleven Heaven. Here are some unusual cases, and members who have 10 awards (including Ambassador & Travelpedian), but have not made the 11th yet:

Lonnie Lee (lonlee2) - He only needs the Bedbug award
Kyle (kkrater) - He only needs Vox Populi
Bernard (bernard69) - He only needs Spambuster
Kana (Kana) - She only needs Community Leader
Dennis & Jasmyn  (TravelBuddys) - They only need Spambuster
Jackie (jamartin39) - She only needs MHHR
Chloe (Chloelf) - She only needs MHHR
Jesper (Enigmaa) - He only needs Writer
Larry (Irecht) - He only needs Vox populi
Nelieta (Tinktinkie) - She only needs Spambuster
Fabio (ishkra) - He only needs Writer
OldSchool (oldschoolbill) - He only needs MHHR
Mike (geokid) - He only needs Vox Populi

I did identify two other members who have 10 awards, but still needs Travelpedian:
Philip (pav79)
Yasuyo(yasuyo)

There are, of course, a number of members who don't have Ambassador status and fall short of Eleven Heaven. Most recently, Ian became the 50th member in finally gaining his Ambassador status. It just takes bugging some friends to try it like I did, Ian did and everyone should...

Brian,

Based on what you researched and wrote, at least 5 of these folks can easily earn their 11th award within a week, if they just decide to write a few reviews and earn their last award (which could be Travelpedian, MHHR, Writer, or Bedbug). The spambuster award I think will really take some time, as I've noticed only an average of 1-2 reviews up for spambuster voting daily - and these get reduced if the TravBuddy profile is deleted.

I told Yasuyo she definitely could make it, the Travelpedian (in my opinion) is one of the easiest to get (actually it was my first award), because there are so many places that still don't have a description and one can easily just modify any writeup to make it more TB appropriate, and in just 2-3 paragraphs!

#64 12-15-2012 8:36 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Sparks, Nevada
Globetrotter

I agree that plenty of members are within one or two awards,  but some only travel a little and if they don't stay in hotels they aren't going to get an MHHR or Bedbug award any time soon. Spambuster takes a while even in good times. Travelpedian is a pretty easy one, but you have to want to earn it.  And VP is the same, easy if you find a forum thread or two to be active with. 

But has anyone noticed that recently we have has a few days where no one earned an award?

#65 12-16-2012 8:56 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Sparks, Nevada
Globetrotter

Based on the present rules, it takes 150 votes over at least 30 days to win the award.  So it really only takes 30 days to win the award, if there are enough reviews listed to vote on.  The only problem here is that there are not as many reviews to vote on at this point.  So do what you can when you are in, and try to be in every day.  And good luck!!!!!

#66 12-17-2012 1:55 AM

nolan
Explorer

From what I gather, spambuster was easy the first few months after it was instituted. Now, it is not easy to get more than a review for spambuster voting on a daily basis.

Does that mean fewer new people are putting up reviews? - most of the MHHR awards I'm seeing are from well-established TravBuddies (like Vanessa, Andreja, ginger, etc.). Occasionally you will see new TBs get a few rewards (like two of my friends who I referred here and have gotten an MHHR each since two weeks ago).

In the meantime, it'll be a few months for my next new award...

#67 12-17-2012 1:40 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

spocklogic wrote:

18 from the USA
8 from Netherlands
7 from UK
2 from Canada
2 from Denmark
2 from Norway
2 from Indonesia
1 from Belgium
1 from Bolivia
1 from Cyprus
1 from France
1 from Germany/China
1 from Greece
1 from Malaysia
1 from Mexico
1 from Poland

TOTAL = 50

Proportionally, it is a great showing from Bolivia!  How many TB members are from Bolivia compared to the other nations?  Cyprus too.

Good efforts all round I think

#68 12-17-2012 4:03 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

Interesting question on the demographics of TravBuddy. Hard to tell really I think.

Some demographics on TravBuddy can be found here: http://pikimal.com/social-network/travbuddy
Some other demographics are available on alexa: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/travbuddy.com
TravBuddy itself lists some demographics too: http://www.travbuddy.com/about.php

Not sure how accurate any of this is. You can look at the Alexa link, but I just show the lists Travbuddy's Regional Traffic Ranks reported there for convenience here. Mind you, this means regional traffic, not necessarily where all the members are from:

Costa Rica - 1,774
Kenya - 2,345
Philippines - 6,909
Thailand - 8,576
India - 10,506
Bangladesh - 10,814
Indonesia - 17,198
Australia - 17,284
United Kingdom - 17,946
South Africa - 18,466
Malaysia - 20,535
Netherlands - 20,721
Greece - 21,029
United States - 23,926
Canada - 23,945
Pakistan - 24,729
Argentina - 29,436
Poland - 30,058
Romania - 34,365
Italy - 36,583
Spain - 48,866
France - 113,896
Germany - 114,361

It would be interesting, however, to see the demographics on where all the members are from!

#69 12-20-2012 8:04 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Sparks, Nevada
Globetrotter

I'm gonna go back to a question that Daniel asked several days back.  It was ..
How long do you think it will take to reach 100 members in the Eleven Heaven Club?

First, I doubt seriously if there will be only 11 awards for much longer.  And even if there is a 12th award added I don't think you will see 100 members for at least then years from now.
It just doesn't seem that the new members are as award oriented.  Times have changed.

#70 12-20-2012 9:32 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

I think we will see 11 awards for the foreseeable future. Eric & David are concentrating on the financial aspects of supporting the site to accommodate its growth in searching for Travel Buddies. This site is much bigger than it was back a few years ago. Even Wikipedia is cash starved these days to support itself. Ideas to generate revenue for TravBuddy are useful. Nevertheless, I am not sure about members being award oriented or not, Roger, and the trend on the graph I showed a few posts back predicts the 100th member of Eleven Heaven somewhere between 2017 and 2021 - which is following a trend. Nevertheless, it's the fundamental nature of internet endeavors - starts with a passion, commercial free, no charge for membership, and then it grows to a point that it requires some income to continue. Perhaps a fund raiser for TB would help - I wonder how many would contribute...

#71 12-26-2012 1:53 AM

nolan
Explorer

spocklogic wrote:

Interesting question on the demographics of TravBuddy. Hard to tell really I think.

Some demographics on TravBuddy can be found here: http://pikimal.com/social-network/travbuddy
Some other demographics are available on alexa: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/travbuddy.com
TravBuddy itself lists some demographics too: http://www.travbuddy.com/about.php

Not sure how accurate any of this is. You can look at the Alexa link, but I just show the lists Travbuddy's Regional Traffic Ranks reported there for convenience here. Mind you, this means regional traffic, not necessarily where all the members are from:

Costa Rica - 1,774
Kenya - 2,345
Philippines - 6,909
Thailand - 8,576
India - 10,506
Bangladesh - 10,814
Indonesia - 17,198
Australia - 17,284
United Kingdom - 17,946
South Africa - 18,466
Malaysia - 20,535
Netherlands - 20,721
Greece - 21,029
United States - 23,926
Canada - 23,945
Pakistan - 24,729
Argentina - 29,436
Poland - 30,058
Romania - 34,365
Italy - 36,583
Spain - 48,866
France - 113,896
Germany - 114,361

It would be interesting, however, to see the demographics on where all the members are from!

Brian - one thing I've noticed is that Bangladesh ranks higher on the regional traffic list compared to the Philippines. I know this is not about TB member numbers, but I have yet to encounter somebody on TB from Bangladesh. Or are people accessing TB using Bangladeshi servers?

#72 12-26-2012 9:38 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

nolan wrote:

Brian - one thing I've noticed is that Bangladesh ranks higher on the regional traffic list compared to the Philippines. I know this is not about TB member numbers, but I have yet to encounter somebody on TB from Bangladesh. Or are people accessing TB using Bangladeshi servers?

Good point! Well, Alexa calls these 'Regional Traffic Ranks'. They describe the ranking as follows:

An estimate of travbuddy.com's popularity in a specific country. The rank by country is calculated using a combination of average daily visitors to travbuddy.com and pageviews on travbuddy.com from users from that country over the past month. The site with the highest combination of visitors and pageviews is ranked #1 in that country.

What I think it means is how far down the list of all websites visited that TravBuddy falls. For instance, google, facebook, youtube and yahoo are in the top 5 in India, but TravBuddy is 10,506 on that list. For the Phillippines, same deal with the top 5, but TravBuddy is 6,909th on the list of most visited sites there. It's updated daily on Alexa. Maybe a list showing the 'percent of visitors' by country is more revealing (also from Alexa):

India - 25.9%
United States - 14.5%
Philippines - 5.1%
United Kingdom - 4.7%
Thailand - 3.2%
Indonesia - 2.9%
Australia - 2.6%
South Africa - 2.6%
Canada - 1.8%
Germany - 1.8%
Spain - 1.7%
Netherlands - 1.6%
Pakistan - 1.6%
Slovenia - 1.5%
Poland - 1.4%
Bangladesh - 1.1%
Malaysia - 1.1%
Kenya - 1.1%
France - 1.0%
Italy - 1.0%
Costa Rica - 0.7%
Israel - 0.6%

This only accounts for 80% worldwide, so the other 20% must be made up of a bunch of small percentages from a lot of other countries to make 100%. This list may make a little more sense.

#73 12-27-2012 12:31 AM

nolan
Explorer

Now the Philippines is in third place, with 5% of the total percentage of visitors. This coming from a country of 100 million people.

Not bad at all smile

The United Kingdom has a better ratio for its population.

Last edited by nolan (12-27-2012 12:31 AM)

#74 12-27-2012 1:54 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer

Makes more sense with these numbers, eh? I thought the same, and Philippines with the 12th largest world population (~100 million as you say) does enter a good showing. I suppose the UK enters large because it is an English speaking native country. In fact, the top ten listed countries speak (literally) of English language popularity. Seems quite logical...

#75 12-28-2012 7:57 PM

X_Drive
Roger
Sparks, Nevada
Globetrotter

Do you forsee any fun changes to the New Year?! Give us ideas of what you would like to see.

Board footer