#1 4-12-2008 8:52 AM

DCBackpacker
Kimberly
Christchurch, New Zealand
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 692

The World's Scariest Runways

from Travel & Leisure

http://www.travelandleisure.com/slidesh … -runways/1

I think Lesotho wins in my book.

#2 4-12-2008 6:45 PM

pinchora
julie
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 512

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

It would be fun to fly into Princess Juliana International Airport @ St. Maarten... especially if you're the bystander on the beach!  When I go to NYC I always fly out of LaGuardia just because I saw a excerpt on the travel channel in high school about how dangerous it is.  they have to use crows to chase away the seagulls so they don't get stuck in the propellar and crash.... this frustrates my friend in Brooklyn so much because it's a nusance to pick me up! Also, I've flown in and out of Toncontín Airport Tegucigalpa, Honduras and I didn't think it was bad at all!  Hmmm...

But thanx for posting... it was fun to read!

#3 4-12-2008 7:40 PM

smhirsch
Sonya
Denver, Colorado
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Travelpedian
Posts: 69

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

The dirt/gravel run way on Little Cayman...it's so bad that only prop planes can fly into it, and there's like a soccer field in the middle of it with goals and everything.

Also, St. Thomas International Airport, because when you take off from there, you swear you're going to hit the cliffs in front of you.

#4 4-12-2008 11:09 PM

Sunflower300
Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 275

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

Thanks for the link. From the photos I agree that Matekane Air Strip in Lesotho looks the worst.

I have some more photos in my blog 'When to trust your pilot' at http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/16969
The only thing is I don't know where any of these airports are, so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

#5 4-13-2008 8:05 AM

DCBackpacker
Kimberly
Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 692

Sunflower300 wrote:

That's a great blog you have.   I got a good laugh on the things pilots and flight attendants say!

#6 4-13-2008 3:39 PM

karulm
Karul
New York, United States
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 19

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

Thanks for sharing that. Lesotho wins for me as well.  You just drop until you start flying? I would never!

K

#7 4-13-2008 4:08 PM

cax
Michael
Malmo, Sweden
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer I
Posts: 52

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

hehe fun reading however from a passenger point of view I'd like to include Hong Kong. Because as you aproach the runway and the plane gets further and further down...all you can see around you is water, no ground in sight before the wheels acctually touch it....

#8 4-13-2008 4:15 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Kampala, Uganda
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4804

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

I'd add Sumburgh Head in Shetland, although only because the weather tends to be so windy.  My dad tells me that when the airport in Hong Kong was on Kowloon, you could see people's televisions as you grazed the towers.  The man is a real story teller - and a wee bit scared of landing - but I was still really glad I came into the new one!

Last edited by sarahelaine (4-13-2008 4:21 PM)

#9 5-31-2008 7:18 AM

ashleynpearson
Ashley
Barcelona, Spain
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 312

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

Did anyone see this in the news? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7428423.stm

After having flown into Tegucigalpa, I'm not really surprised! The runway is really small and you come to a steep landing between the mountains. Luckily, only 4 people were killed and not more. That's pretty scary though!

#10 5-31-2008 7:56 AM

bugjuice
John
Edison, New Jersey
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 537

pinchora wrote:

But thanx for posting... it was fun to read!

At St Maarten  hang out at Mary's Boom near the end of the runway...great food and drinks...lots of times you can make your own drinks and when the tab comes..just tell them how many you had!!! But the best part is watching the planes come in!!!

#11 5-31-2008 8:32 AM

WorldXplorer
Kris
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 31

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

I think the scariest I have experienced so far on a commercial flight was Pasto, in Colombia.

http://hosla.com/index.cfm?method=watch … 0H8D3XLG6I

#12 5-31-2008 8:35 AM

ashleynpearson
Ashley
Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 312

ashleynpearson wrote:

I am not commenting on the scariest runways. I am writing about this plane crash that happened yesterday in Honduras!

#13 5-31-2008 9:20 AM

TYoungTX
Tim
Austin, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 58

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

For me so far it's Wellington, New Zealand.  The winds there are always at gale force, so when the planes come in for a landing, they come in tilted away from the landing strip into the wind, and at the last minute before touching down, they straighten up parallel to the runway and land.  It's just always disconcerting to me to be coming in and seeing that the plane is not lining up with the runway until the end.  Guess it would be a lot more disconcerting if we missed it though due to a blast of wind!

#14 5-31-2008 8:37 PM

WorldXplorer
Kris
Perth, Australia
Posts: 31

TYoungTX wrote:

Yeah, had a few of those as well... The link I indicated above also shows impressive videos of such cases (real), as well as a funny emergency landing...

#15 6-1-2008 7:00 AM

JoeriNL
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 488

Re: The World's Scariest Runways

Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, Saba, Netherlands Antilles has the shortest commercial runway in the world.

YouTube!
Image

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer