#1 6-12-2012 12:11 PM

Posts: 16

European Nightclub Dress Code?

Hi.  As I'm backpacking through Munich, Prague, Budapest, Croatia, and Spain later this summer, I'll obviously be going out to clubs from time to time, if not more frequently.  What is normal dress for a guy when going out in Europe/these specific locations at night?  I'm probably not going to end up going to the nicest/most expensive nightclubs in Europe, but I want to be dressed well to go out to any place that others that I meet while traveling end up going to.  Whenever I go out here at home, it's pretty much a must, or at least the norm, to wear a nice button down shirt, nice dark jeans, and nice shoes.  Is it the same in Europe?  Along with my day-to-day clothes, I'm thinking about packing one casual but nice button down shirt (can also wear casually during the day), one pair of dark jeans (my one pair of pants I bring that I can also wear during the day if not too hot), and a pair of nice loafers.  Is this a good idea?  Would I be out of place going out from a hostel wearing relatively nice clothes like this?  I've seen some random pretty trashy pictures of English guys going out in places like Tenerife or Ibiza just wearing t-shirts and shorts and honestly looking pretty bad.  That isn't the norm is it?  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 6-12-2012 12:35 PM

smd7
dan
Santa Monica, California
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 105

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

jeans, button down shirt and nice shoes is pretty standard. you can definitely get away with less but i always like to play it safe vs. looking like a hooligan.

#3 6-12-2012 12:44 PM

itravel1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2020

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

You certainly won't be overdressed if that is your concern.  There are many night spots that will NOT allow jeans, but times change and I have not been there for almost two years.  Just going with the regular crowd to meet the locals you should be just fine, but getting a local's point of view would be best.

#4 6-12-2012 5:48 PM

jeffy
Los Angeles, California
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 553

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

Be sure to feather your mullet, put on acid wash jeans, a white belt, and your favorite AC Milan jersey. seems to pass in much of Europe.

#5 6-12-2012 6:38 PM

#6 6-12-2012 7:45 PM

altmtl
Jim
Montreal, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 2970

njh wrote:

Lol. Just go into nightclubs with no dresscodes and wear whatever the fuck you want.

smile agreed

#7 6-12-2012 10:22 PM

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

Thanks everyone!  I definitely appreciate the advice.  I'll probably just end up bringing the button down, dark jeans, and casual loafers.  I just feel more comfortable/like being dressed up at least somewhat nicely when going out.  I definitely can wear the button down and dark jeans (not necessarily together) casually during the day as well, and I can bring the loafers as my second pair of shoes for whenever I don't have to walk too far.

#8 6-12-2012 11:33 PM

mosted
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 938

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

In germany I learned, that the dresscode is not too important, rather with whoom you are going. If you are in a group of 3+ guys you wont get in most of the time and that counts for all famous or bigger clubs. If you are with a girl you will get in almost everywhere (except P1 in Munich, there its just luck when you get in. haha).

General Tipp: Dont be drunk in advance, rather wear a sark than a simple t-shirt, rather wear leather or dark shoes instead of sneakers.

#9 6-13-2012 12:55 AM

altmtl
Jim
Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2970

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

Funny, at home if I want to go to a fancy club or resto, I'd just wear my black suit, sometimes even a tie. If I was in fact going to Europe or another big city and not backpacking, I'd most likely be wearing my suit on the plane.

#10 6-13-2012 1:40 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 16509

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

I don't think the location matters but it depends very much on the club - some are more strict than others. If I were still going to them, I would wear button down shirt, casual trousers but not jeans, and leather shoes.

A lot of clubs in Dublin and many other cities in my experience do not allow jeans or trainers (sneakers).

Oli is right too. If you are a guy, it is better to go with a girl or to join a mixed sex group - this can greatly increase your chances of getting in - one guy or a group of guys will often get turned away.

Apart from the requirements of the nightclubs, maybe you should ask the girls on this site how they like to see a guy dressed including in nightclubs...

#11 6-22-2012 3:43 PM

kat307
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 253

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

If you are going to pubs and non-fancy bars, you can pretty much wear anything except baseball caps or sportswear.

Student club nights will also have more relaxed dress codes.

Also it depends on the type of music of the club you choose. Rock/metal nights are a lot more casual for example.

#12 6-23-2012 9:29 AM

GeorgeLeach
George
Bristol, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1175

mosted wrote:

If you are with a girl you will get in almost everywhere.

Here's your answer. She has to be half-attractive but it generally does the trick.

#13 6-25-2012 2:50 PM

aeridley
Anna
Cornwall, England
Posts: 49

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

Haha! Believe me it's not just English guys who look trashy. I've been clubbing in many different countries and I think it is just guys (and girls) with no style or shame!

Just aim for smart/casual and pack a shirt, trousers (non-jeans) and a pair of smart shoes and you will be fine wherever you go.

Enjoy!

#14 6-26-2012 10:49 AM

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

Thanks for the advice!  Sorry if I came off as saying that it was only English guys who dressed poorly

#15 6-26-2012 4:58 PM

mr_red_heart
Mush
Chengdu, China
Posts: 1

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

Well I think at the end it will depend on your way of dressing , some people likes to dress well even if they go to grocery :p. just go and make it up :smile)

#16 6-29-2012 2:17 PM

aeridley
Anna
Cornwall, England
Posts: 49

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

Haha! Well, I live in England and many of them do dress badly (in my opinion!)  :-)

#17 7-2-2012 11:51 AM

sam_smith73
Sam
Sussex, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 107

Re: European Nightclub Dress Code?

In the UK dress code for women is anything - however many girls dress up in nice dresses, men have to wear shoes normally to get in a club. However in Gemany when i went women do not dress up, can go in jeans and trainers - this is what the manjority of women do and when i did go out in a nice dress i felt uncomfortable as no one else dressed up.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer