#1 4-6-2008 2:58 PM

Higton
John
London, England
Moderator
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 851

***Remember to be SAFE***

I know people on this site are groovy.  I know that when we meet, we all have a cracking time and some of us even get fruity.  But, don't let the excitement of all this travelling lark get in the way of common sense. Take care when posting your travel itinerary to all and sundry. If possible, ensure that somebody else can vouch for the people you agree to meet.  The mass meet-ups are great because you can make judgments about people you do and don't get along with before agreeing to meet them in some cockroach-invested hovel in the middle of downtown Jakarta.

Just like life, there are some glorious people on this forum as well as some shifty ones we usher away from time to time.  And remember, not everyone gets on with everyone.

One of the things I love about this site is it is so bloody brainy.  So makes sure you apply the grey matter to your thinking.

#2 4-7-2008 4:14 AM

Eric
Eric
Honolulu, Hawaii
Administrator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 2196

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Thanks for the reminder, Higton! For more safety info and guidelines about using TravBuddy (or any internet website where information might be shared, for that matter), please see our safety guidelines here:

#3 1-3-2009 3:36 PM

Mireille
Reading, England
Posts: 11

mothy wrote:

I think all traveler especially young women should watch the movie "Taken" starring Liam Neeson. There's a great message. You definitely don't want that happen to you ...

lol, that movie was awesome

#5 2-21-2009 1:18 AM

marongs
jetsetting gal
Redlands, California
Posts: 12

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Thanks Higton for the reminder.  You are absolutely right about people and life.  That's kind of why I'm really leary about meeting up with people, I haven't met up with anyone, yet.  Although there's a lot of singles trips websites that you can chose to travel that way, too. You travel with other single people in a group, and sound very exciting, too.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mothy.  I definitely have to see the movie now.

#6 3-26-2009 4:27 PM

MattShip
Matt
Santiago, Chile
Posts: 4

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

"Although there's a lot of singles trips websites that you can chose to travel that way, too. You travel with other single people in a group, and sound very exciting, too."

Hey marongs, that sounds like a great idea. Can you recommend any websites like this?

Thanks!

Matt.

#7 7-22-2009 2:03 AM

nanvandewoodsen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 83

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

thanks for  for your advice.

#8 7-22-2009 2:14 AM

jbird1390
James
Brugge, Belgium
Posts: 55

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

I was discussing this with someone the other day and i agree wholeheartedly with you smile I must admit i have met with people in the past and though they have been harmless, they most certainly werent what they made themselves out to be. Then the internet does leave alot of room for self invention or lying as i like to call it tongue

Thanks for the reminder smile

Last edited by jbird1390 (7-22-2009 2:14 AM)

#9 8-25-2009 4:52 PM

eabauer
Aimee
Fergus Falls, Minnesota

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

I know it may be paranoid, but it really isn't that much to do a quick background check on people.  You can do it on the internet for around $50...  May save your life.

#10 9-2-2009 7:12 AM

thaigerwan
Nigel ( L.J )
Telford, England
Posts: 16

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Hey I have been to that Cockroach infested hovel in Jakarta, its on Jalan Jeaksa if I remember.
I had breakfast watching a huge rat eating his sitting about 3 Mtrs away without a care in the world.

Ahh the good old day's.......

#11 10-6-2009 10:40 PM

alainamay
Alaina
Seattle, Washington
Posts: 92

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

the safety link isn't workin'?

#12 11-1-2009 8:19 PM

Alex
Clifton Forge, Virginia
Posts: 5

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

I found that adding people on Facebook weeks before you travel can give you an idea of who they are. I also find it safe to interact with this person over Facebook to let people know who your traveling with. Its not as good as meeting a person in real life before traveling but its a sure bet to make things a bit safer.

You can usually tell how a person ranks on the ''creepy scale'' by checking out their pictures and such and how they interact with others. Its the best option next to meeting the person before traveling.

#14 11-11-2009 6:00 AM

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Mm..for some reason people seem to be under the illusion that other tourists are better people than the people from whatever country you're visiting...go figure..
On that note, lost my travelpartner so if someone in a similar situation want to discover Vietnam in dec-jan maybe we can share housing costs and new adventures:)smile
Anna..

#15 11-11-2009 6:39 AM

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Ofcourse it is my own perception on the subject, can't very well write on other peoples behalf with certainty, only a moron would do that:)smile ...and yes it was a great big smile on my face when I proceeded to ask if someone's planned a similar trip and would like to share living expenses, as well as fun adventures since I've already booked a trip for two and soo totally knew the irony in it as I wrote it:)smile
I sort of made the assumption that most of the Vietnamese I'll meet on my trip already live somewhere..
Either way, what's your point with your reply, slow afternoon or did you just need to fill your daily quota of random posts? Is there maybe a jerk award on this site I'm not aware of? Because to me that's sort of how you come across..
Anna.

#16 11-11-2009 12:59 PM

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

smile smile no worries..see u around I'm sure:)

#17 11-17-2009 12:40 PM

DougeeGould
Doug
Winchester, England
Posts: 12

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Good point Higton. I was amazed at all the friendliness on this this site but you really never can be too careful. After all, Brett Easton Ellis is a really nice guy but fudge me he's got a nightmarish imagination!
My point being is you never can tell.
But it's not all doom an gloom. I sailed the Atlantic with complete strangers and it was one of the best experiences ever!

#18 11-21-2009 8:53 PM

ivyleague
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 14

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Thanks for the advice... Better safe than sorry! smile

#19 12-15-2009 8:43 AM

LindaHUN77
Melinda
Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

yes, better safe than sorry...the question is if it is safer to travel solo or meet up people here...

#20 12-18-2009 5:10 PM

scho13
Ho
Sibu, Malaysia
Posts: 7

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Also, whoever who is a brainy researcher can use sites like this to find out where people like to travel in the world. Just a glance tells me that it is Europe follow by Indo China. S.E. Asia is kind of last in the list. Probably it is Christmas. Merry Christmas to everyone. Peace !

#21 1-3-2010 12:13 PM

mikeg27
Arundel, England

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Good message, but we should also remember that life is for living and not be over-cautious - just aware.  If meeting always obtain full contact details - 'phone back on the numbers given and leave contact details with someone you know and trust.

An element of risk is inherent in all travel - that's partly why the adrenaline flows and travel is exciting!

Cautious, not Over-Cautious.

#22 1-3-2010 12:19 PM

mikeg27
Arundel, England

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

Why am I classified as a Couch Potato?!

#23 1-13-2010 9:28 AM

pradsirey
EDWIN
Tampa, Florida

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

I agree with Mike isn't this the point of TB not to travel alone..... but i belive if you find some one to go with give it some time to have a feeling for the person and if u think you want to go with that person a meet up is necessary ...... so is it safer to travel alone or not to do your home work on some one ..... be safe and live life to the max..... ciao...

#24 1-26-2010 2:20 PM

XYZ_bia
Bahar
Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

It doesnt take a genius to  know and tell that safety is important  And  safety knows no gender  since there are a lot of predators  and jerks around I think  instead of spreading  GWB fear policy  around  it is better to transfer exchange  your experience about  how to know people   in general and safety tips in additionAfter all   dont  the most of us have had bad experiences  with  the  people whom we knew and trusted before I had most fun with people who later in life were changed and could not be trusted anymore This is the reality of the bad world we live in  Maybe this is the dynamics of lifeI have decided to enjoy my life since with travellingLet me also ask you all   Isnt travelling and knowing new people an adventure that we are signing forHowever we want to minimize the nonsense and stupidities We always have to take necessary steps to avoid saying  Sorry  later but lets not be paranoid and spread paranoia It is recommended to try to know people to a certain degree before planning for a mutual venture  Travelling  is  also like any other investment Adventures come along the way the more pleasant  andor desired the adventure  the better the investment outcome will beI am new here and  looking for people to share my  near future pleasure and experienceDamn with those who abuse othersBest wishes for those who are seeking the truth and let others too enjoy the life

#25 1-27-2010 4:40 PM

backtoreallife
Ooty, India
Posts: 1

Re: ***Remember to be SAFE***

well i think it all depends on your perception. all we need to do is lill bit fo trust.
It does work unless u wona deceive other's
lets wish a safe trip to everybody
Adio's

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer