#1 4-15-2012 5:58 PM

Safety in Argentina?

I may be interested in South America this summer. Is it a bad idea for me, a British citizen to travel through Argentina given the friction between our countries over the Falklands? Or is the media in England making me paranoid?

#2 4-16-2012 5:43 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Safety in Argentina?

I think the media is making you paranoid. I think Argentina is quite safe, even for British citizens! I think local people in Argentina don't have any problems with you.

Maybe a British person around here who can say if I am right? wink

#3 4-16-2012 10:31 AM

Re: Safety in Argentina?

I'm sure I'll be fine but the images of mobs burning British flags is unsettling.

#4 4-16-2012 4:40 PM

Mesven
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Sightseer
Posts: 51

Re: Safety in Argentina?

No one will bother you just because you're British, but I disagree with Paulovic about Argentina being quite safe. There is a great deal of opportunistic crime in the country. You need to be very careful, especially in the cities.

#5 4-17-2012 10:57 AM

Isabelle_G
Isabelle
French Polynesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 774

Re: Safety in Argentina?

Nowhere in the world is totally safe, and that includes Argentina... Anyone remember the story of the 2 french girls who got murdered over in Salta last summer? hmm

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/articl … ts-suggest

Generally avoid carrying valuables on the streets and better stay in at night or then take a taxi and so on.
I got no problem when travelling around the country in 2008 but I never put myself in risky situations either.

#6 4-17-2012 12:53 PM

magera
Mark
Leicester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 157

Re: Safety in Argentina?

My advice would also be if you feel uncertain about a place then avoid it.  All the safety advice is very well meaning but very impractical.  You have to carry valuables such as your camera and phone when travelling, you cant avoid it.  Staying in at night will keep you safe but makes for a pretty dull trip.

#7 4-17-2012 1:10 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 16407

Re: Safety in Argentina?

From a normal safety point of view, I found Argentina fine - felt as safe there as in Dublin. I never felt need to stay in at night, unlike in some other parts of the Americas. As for Falklands/Malvinas, I don't know but I imagine a British person in Argentina is as safe as an Argentinian in the UK.

Anyway, Argentina is arguing with Spain now....

#8 4-21-2012 3:31 PM

Re: Safety in Argentina?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

When i think about it I don't know anyone who would have a problem with someone visiting from Argentina. I suppose its just a minority of people who have strong opinions and feel the need to impose them on others. I doubt Argentina is going to be any different then England is to them or any other country.

#9 4-21-2012 5:39 PM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 2352

Re: Safety in Argentina?

After Argentina nationalizing the Spanish-owned oil company, maybe Argentinians need to watch out in Spain smile

I felt pretty safe in BA, but did get my wallet stolen in the subway.

#10 4-23-2012 12:07 AM

Re: Safety in Argentina?

Maybe I am too opportunistic, but I felt very safe in Argentina, everywhere. I have seen quite some Latin American countries and I can say without doubt that Argentina was the safest one of them all! And for sure you can find murder and crime everywhere in the world. Always take sufficient precautions.
But to answer your question, don't worry about being British citizen. I think you'll be fine! Enjoy, because for me it was still so far one of the most beautiful countries I have beeb to.

#11 4-23-2012 3:49 AM

James1985
James
Brixham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 603

Re: Safety in Argentina?

Il drop my two cent in on this one. But i was in argentina two months ago and most people were fine with me. That is until they found out i was english. Then alot of them would just turn strange and not seem so nice and they would to other travellers.

After a month i got abit fed up with it to be honest. I was personally blamed for the Falklands war on more than one occasion. Even though it was in 1982 and i was born in 1985.

The main problem i had is that when they found out i was english then they wanted to know my view on the islands. Which unfortunately wasn't the same as there view. And this would turn into abit of rabid dribbling on the parts of a few people. It seems in Argentina the only view allowed is the one Kirchner allows.

The only thing i ever said was that the islanders should be allowed self determination. But it seems people didnt agree with that.

I got so fed up with it in the end i left argentina early and its the only place in the world i have no interest in going back to.

Just pretend you're irish or something!

#12 4-23-2012 4:39 AM

James1985 wrote:

Just pretend you're irish or something!

Sorry for having this bad experience, James! But thanks for sharing your part on this.

#13 4-23-2012 5:37 AM

ccjbeachbum
cj
Miami Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 11934

#14 4-23-2012 5:39 AM

ccjbeachbum
cj
Miami Beach, Florida
Posts: 11934

Re: Safety in Argentina?

james also sorry to hear about your experience

#15 4-23-2012 9:58 AM

Re: Safety in Argentina?

Yeah thanks for sharing your experiance James, burning British flags on the streets of Argentina is a strong statement. I'm sure like Paulouvic says Argentina is beautiful country but I would rather avoid being in a place where im treated differently for my nationality. I'm sure I'll see it one day when things calm down.

I know there's prejudice everywhere in the world in one form or another but i would personally prefer to spend my time with people who embrace each others differences, this is why im loving couch surfing at the moment.

Again thanks for the feedback.

#16 4-23-2012 10:10 AM

Brixham, England
Posts: 603

ccjbeachbum wrote:

JAMES HOW ABOUT FOR AMERICANS ?

They hate us ALOT more, but the funny side is the yanks and aussies get raped on visa fees. And we get in for free! Gotta love the EU.

#18 4-25-2012 1:13 PM

Soultrekker
Jared
Dallas, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 194

Re: Safety in Argentina?

You will be fine...just keep your wits about you as in any country.

#19 5-23-2012 9:42 AM

fernandodc88
Fer
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 16

Re: Safety in Argentina?

I'm from Argentina, and yes, you might find a couple of people who could be harsh on you if they find out you're English, they're fanatics, just like you might find enywhere else, but I don't consider they represent the majority.

I don't think you should find any problem, anyways, if you're asked for your opinion, I would just agree with what everyone thinks here and let it go, I mean, why would you say something you know locals would find offensive? It would be like telling an Israeli that you're pro Palestinian, it would just bring trouble and none of the two parties would agree, after all you're on vacation and just trying to have fun, why bring politics into the table? It's always a lose-lose anywhere in the world.

In terms of security, I live in BA, it's not safe, and it's not unsafe either, just like every big city, you've got to beware of pick pockets, specially in crowded places and subways. And you should avoid uncrowded streets during the night.

Hope that helps, best of luck!
Fer

#20 5-23-2012 12:32 PM

Niki-Travelfan
Nikolay
Berlin, Germany
Award: Photographer VAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 21

Re: Safety in Argentina?

i just was in south America and i have to say, it was everywhere much safer, then the media or the german foreign ministry sais.
i Argentina i was only in Buenos Aires, so i can't talk about the whole country, but the capital is awesome and as safe as Berlin.
regards and enjoy!
Niki

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer