#1 4-14-2012 8:29 AM

AussieGem
Gemille
Vancouver, Canada
Couch Potato

What are the must see and do's in Berlin? :)

Hey guys! I'm going to Berlin for the first time just for 4 days at the end of this month.
What are the places that I must go and see? Thanks smile

#2 4-14-2012 8:56 AM

cwspy
Jeff
Europe
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Re: What are the must see and do's in Berlin? :)

The museums. There's an island of museums.
The usual places  - Riechstag, Brandenburger gates, Checkpoint Charlie, The East Side Gallery.

At night, Kruetzberg (X-berg), Oranienburger strasse bars

#3 4-14-2012 9:53 AM

Jigg
Žiga
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad

Berlin ZOO, Fernsehturm (it's quite pricey to get up there - used to be 10 euro, probably still is, but it's a nice view of the city), Deutsches Technikmuseum (it's not on the Museum island) and if you have time and interest in huge concrete buildings - Tempelhof airport.

Four days was more than enough for me to see all that i wanted and some more.

#4 4-14-2012 10:14 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Head to Potsdam, rent a bike and cycle around the Sans Souci Palace.

#5 4-14-2012 10:26 AM

riceballrox
ZhenZhen
Toronto, Canada
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

easiest thing to do is to go on the 3 hour free walking tour, and then you'll know pretty much what else you need to see at a slower pace and more at detail smile

other than that,
1, walk around the Hackeschemarkt and Oranienburger street area.(fun at night too..pub crawl is at Oranjenburger str.) There are lots of underground and high end artists there. fun vibe and lots good restaurant near the old post office.
2, do take a day and go to Potsdam and visit the  Sanssouci palace.

Berlin is my favorite German city, have fun there! big_smile

Last edited by riceballrox (4-14-2012 1:30 PM)

#6 4-14-2012 11:48 AM

AussieGem
Gemille
Vancouver, Canada
Couch Potato

Thanks so much peeps smile really appreciate your input. Can't wait to see this beautiful city !! Would also love to meet some people along the way so hopefully there are other globe trotters I can meet :p

#7 4-14-2012 12:56 PM

rossb81
Ross
Swansea, Wales
Sightseer

go up the tower!

#8 4-15-2012 7:24 AM

nikkilee
Nicole
Pinjarra, Australia
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

the Berliner Dom (cathedral) is amazing and u can go inside for i think 5 euros its well worth it u can walk around the top of the Dom and get a great view of the city it on museum island. i spent half the day on the island just enjoying the old buildings there and did a boat cruise to which was great

#9 4-15-2012 7:39 AM

keenriser
Erik
Netherlands
Award: Critic IAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

The Berliner Dom is definitely worth visiting for the view, and the church is nice too I guess. I would rather go for the Dom than the TV tower, mostly because of the price. You can also go up the Park Inn next to the TV tower in the afternoon, but the view is only in one direction. Or you can go up the Französischer dom on the Gendarmenmarkt, which is 360 degrees but the view there is not as iconic. 

Check out Kunsthaus Tacheles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunsthaus_Tacheles
There are tours through abandoned metro lines and bunkers by "berliner unterwelten" that I keep forgetting to do when there.

The public transport network covers the city very well, but I think it's nice to walk or cycle around as well because there are so many small things you will miss if you go from station to station. My favourite neighbourhood is Friedrichshain.

I have heard good things about museums, but so far I have only been walking around outside and never been bored smile

#10 4-15-2012 11:16 AM

kitajka
Agnieszka
Couch Potato

Def museums.. it is a lovely experience to see Pergamon  altar in one place - and it is north of Europe smile In general museum island is really must see.
Berlin has a lot to offer. There is plenty of temporary art exhibitions too, great modern art. If you are interested in new art you have to see Bauhaus.
I would also recommend to walk around Berlin. I know it is huge. I have been there last time and have been walking around all the time. Only then you will see great buildings new and old. Even embassy buildings are cool in Berlin.
Also another thing worth to see is Film Museum in Potsdamer area. Really beautiful exhibitions.
And one more thing - book shop open until midnight... i mean where else you have that? For sure not in Scotland sad   
Enjoy your time smile

#11 4-15-2012 12:48 PM

AussieGem
Gemille
Vancouver, Canada
Couch Potato

Wow, very useful tips, thanks guys! I've booked a walking city tour of Berlin and also a concentration camp tour which I'm sure will be gripping stuff! I was thinking of going to the Zoo and check out the shops on day 1 and then go to Museum Island on my last day...is it in the middle of Berlin and easy to find?

#12 4-15-2012 1:58 PM

keenriser
Erik
Netherlands
Award: Critic IAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

It's smack in the middle and you could absolutely not miss it even if you tried (unless you tried very hard).

#13 4-15-2012 2:16 PM

westwind57
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

You may like to check out this web-site which gives an overview including some less famous sights.

http://www.berlin.de/international/attr … dex.en.php

#14 4-29-2012 6:42 AM

sofladdd99
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Couch Potato

The GDR museam on the river near the Raddison hotel and the stazi museum in the east were two things that stayed with  me.

#15 4-29-2012 10:40 AM

Samaire13
Award: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Checkpoint Charlie in itself is not overly spectacular, but the museum/exhibition that is right next to it is a must.

If it's a sunny and relatively warm day, you could go to Unter den Linden and Brandenburger Tor and then walk through the Tiergarten all the way down to the Zoo. It's a couple of miles, but I thought it was very nice.

Last edited by Samaire13 (4-29-2012 10:40 AM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer