#26 4-13-2012 10:57 PM

Suusj
suus
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1140

Re: Soccer time

Paulovic wrote:

Suusj wrote:

we'll I think voebtal international well be on tv soon ;-)

Shit, missed it! tongue

haha, niks gemist hoor ;-).

Hope that they play well tonight and tommorow

 

#27 4-14-2012 1:20 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

suusj wrote:

Hope that they play well tonight and tommorow

You mean Heracles vs RKC?  Yeah, me too! big_smile

 

#28 4-15-2012 2:12 AM

Suusj
suus
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1140

Re: Soccer time

nope didn't mean those.

but he, PSV is playin glike sh....t they won I know but they played like they were in the bothem 3..., and they lost wednesday, so that's good for ajax. Then twente who had a tie (is that how you call it???).

So all ajax has to do is win smile. they are 3 point ahead of all the others and all the others already played. Playing de graafschap, it's gotta be like 10 - 0 wink. On the other hand. When you think it's an easy game... well will see smile.

Last edited by Suusj (4-15-2012 2:13 AM)

 

#29 4-15-2012 2:45 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

Suusj wrote:

nope didn't mean those.

but he, PSV is playin glike sh....t they won I know but they played like they were in the bothem 3..., and they lost wednesday, so that's good for ajax. Then twente who had a tie (is that how you call it???).

So all ajax has to do is win smile. they are 3 point ahead of all the others and all the others already played. Playing de graafschap, it's gotta be like 10 - 0 wink. On the other hand. When you think it's an easy game... well will see smile.

Yep, even I can't believe PSV won last night! Haha! After a while the were 1-2 behind on AZ! And then in the last seconds 3-2!

Yeah, Ajax has a good position! They just win today from the Graafschap. But you never know indeed! One thing is for sure, it's a damn exciting season this year! smile

 

#30 4-15-2012 3:12 AM

Suusj
suus
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1140

Re: Soccer time

yes it is!! Haha, even I like it wink

But your right PSV got very lucky yesterday...

 

#31 4-15-2012 11:16 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 2032

Re: Soccer time

Here's an interesting origin of the name soccer:

"Soccer's etymology is not American but British. It comes from an abbreviation for Association Football, the official name of the sport (for those of you who have never heard the team "Association Football" before, it was named after the Football Association, which still governs English soccer, to differentiate itself from the other major type of football, Rugby Football, which was named after the Rugby School. FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, is French for the International Federation of Association Football… F-I-F-A). For obvious reasons, in the 1880s and 1890s, English newspapers couldn't use the first three letters of Association as an abbreviation in their pages, so they took the next syllable, S-O-C. With the British penchant for adding "-er" at the end of words: punter, footballer, copper, and, of course, nicknaming rugby, "rugger," the word "soccer" was soon born, over a hundred years ago, here in England, the home of soccer. We adopted it and kept using it because we have our own indigenous sport that we call football."

Ref: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rss/transcr … 2006a.html

There seem to be at least five countries that call the sport of soccer (internationally known as football) "soccer", and those are Australia, South Africa, Canada, Ireland and the United States of America. Any others?

 

#32 4-15-2012 12:41 PM

evans29
Tom
Plymouth, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad
Posts: 667

Re: Soccer time

not many people in Ireland call it soccer, in fact, i think i've heard more english people call it soccer, im pretty sure that they call it soccer in Japan (not 100% sure though)

 

#33 4-16-2012 2:07 AM

Suusj
suus
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1140

Re: Soccer time

spocklogic wrote:

Here's an interesting origin of the name soccer:

"Soccer's etymology is not American but British. It comes from an abbreviation for Association Football, the official name of the sport (for those of you who have never heard the team "Association Football" before, it was named after the Football Association, which still governs English soccer, to differentiate itself from the other major type of football, Rugby Football, which was named after the Rugby School. FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, is French for the International Federation of Association Football… F-I-F-A). For obvious reasons, in the 1880s and 1890s, English newspapers couldn't use the first three letters of Association as an abbreviation in their pages, so they took the next syllable, S-O-C. With the British penchant for adding "-er" at the end of words: punter, footballer, copper, and, of course, nicknaming rugby, "rugger," the word "soccer" was soon born, over a hundred years ago, here in England, the home of soccer. We adopted it and kept using it because we have our own indigenous sport that we call football."

Ref: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rss/transcr … 2006a.html

There seem to be at least five countries that call the sport of soccer (internationally known as football) "soccer", and those are Australia, South Africa, Canada, Ireland and the United States of America. Any others?

WOW!! You really looked into it! Did not know this facts.
Got a bit whiser today, thanks!

#Paul, ajax won. I heard it was not there best game but hey, 3 point are in the pocket!

 

#34 4-16-2012 2:23 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

Yeah, that's pretty interesting to read!

Ajax won, it was their duty versus the Graafschap!

Let's take two minutes of silence here for the death of Piermario Morosini, please! So sad what happened this weekend! :-(

 

#35 4-18-2012 1:11 PM

lieka84
angelique
Oss, Netherlands
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 147

Re: Soccer time

Well I geuss it is almost over for believing in a big party in Eindhoven. Well I'm lucky that I still have queens night to celebrate :p but maybe there is a slight chance???? :p

 

#36 4-20-2012 3:43 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

I think you mean a slight chance for getting the second place fo PSV! Nothing more possible this year!

 

#37 4-20-2012 1:50 PM

GeorgeLeach
George
Bristol, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1175

Re: Soccer time

Paulovic wrote:

Let's take two minutes of silence here for the death of Piermario Morosini, please! So sad what happened this weekend! :-(

That was pretty sad. Poor guy had already gone through more than his fair share of personal tragedy at only 25 years old.

On a football note, I'm a supporter of Yeovil Town which, if they were in the Dutch league, would probably be about third right now. Dutch football is pretty dreadful. National team's pretty good, mind. I watched them beat England at Wembley a couple months back. Not that beating England is exactly a great achievement but still.

 

#38 4-20-2012 2:08 PM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

GeorgeLeach wrote:

On a football note, I'm a supporter of Yeovil Town which, if they were in the Dutch league, would probably be about third right now. Dutch football is pretty dreadful. National team's pretty good, mind. I watched them beat England at Wembley a couple months back. Not that beating England is exactly a great achievement but still.

I think England and the Netherlands are both the other way around. England's national team is not that good at all compared to the premier league. Dutch national team is way better than the Dutch competition! tongue

 

#39 4-20-2012 6:52 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 2032

Re: Soccer time

The U.S. men's soccer team's failure to qualify for the Olympics in 2012 is not good for the future of the sport in the USA, having also failed to make the Olympics in 2004. In addition to absence in the under-20 World Cup in 2011, the Men's world cup teams in USA generally fail to get it done on an international stage. The Women's team has always been fairly competitive, even winning it all in 1999. This actually boosted the sport greatly in USA, but interest has waned in the last decade because the men's team can't seem to compete well. It's inexplicable how a country the size of the USA can continue to disappoint in Soccer. Without some success (by the Men) the sport will never fully blossom in the USA. This latest failure to make the Olympics is a worrying trend...

 

#40 4-22-2012 7:41 AM

GeorgeLeach
George
Bristol, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1175

Re: Soccer time

I should like to point out that Yeovil sealed their League One status yesterday with a 2-2 draw away to Leyton Orient. And we came back from 2 goals down! That's about as good as it gets for Yeovil.

spocklogic wrote:

The U.S. men's soccer team's failure to qualify for the Olympics in 2012 is not good for the future of the sport in the USA, having also failed to make the Olympics in 2004. In addition to absence in the under-20 World Cup in 2011, the Men's world cup teams in USA generally fail to get it done on an international stage. The Women's team has always been fairly competitive, even winning it all in 1999. This actually boosted the sport greatly in USA, but interest has waned in the last decade because the men's team can't seem to compete well. It's inexplicable how a country the size of the USA can continue to disappoint in Soccer. Without some success (by the Men) the sport will never fully blossom in the USA. This latest failure to make the Olympics is a worrying trend...

To be honest, the Olympics is rather a joke for football because you rarely see full-strength sides out so I shouldn't worry about it. America's problem is that football is not a national sport over there and not ingrained into the culture the same way that American Football, Baseball or Basketball is. It's not really a question of size or population but of culture. Otherwise India and China would be winning everything. It's no different to the fact the US doesn't play cricket. It's not that they wouldn't be able to find some good players, its just that there is no real market for it over there. The standard is generally so low because there isn't the same incentive to go into it and improve it as there would be in other major sports in America.

 

#41 4-23-2012 2:05 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 2032

Re: Soccer time

Your viewpoint is well taken, George, and thanks for the input. The sport is actually more popular with younger people than older Americans since it has become part of school sports programs. Maybe in time it will gain popularity and become more of as national sport with the coming generation in the USA.

 

#42 4-23-2012 2:14 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

Yeah, nothing to add on that!

 

#43 5-3-2012 5:54 AM

Suusj
suus
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1140

Re: Soccer time

So Ajax won yesterday!! :-D. SOrry paul, it's 2 in a row for us hahha (Like I did anything to win :p).

So another question. Who is going to win the European championship? We have the worst postition to start! With germany and Portugal (remeber that one with over 20 yellow/red cards?) and Germany, as always, it's so bitter sweet... So I hope they do good but I don't think we will be doing annything special....

 

#44 5-3-2012 9:11 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

Suusj wrote:

So Ajax won yesterday!! :-D. SOrry paul, it's 2 in a row for us hahha (Like I did anything to win :p).

You're saying sorry to me? Haha! Congrats! Ajax deserved it this year! They were simply the best big_smile

 

#45 5-4-2012 6:41 AM

Suusj
suus
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1140

Re: Soccer time

Well you are  a PSV supporter right?

 

#46 5-23-2012 5:13 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

Suusj wrote:

Well you are  a PSV supporter right?

Haha, I am not a supporter of PSV really. But I like it when teams do it well that are close to here.

A pity though that FC Den Bosch lost in Tilburg playing for a place in the premier league!

 

#47 5-23-2012 5:13 AM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 5898

Re: Soccer time

LZ786 wrote:

we indian are now days busy in watchin indian premeare league. CRICKET

Sorry, but this is off topic tongue

 
This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB