#1 3-23-2012 7:32 AM

Couch Potato
Posts: 30

University in Canada

Hello everybody.

I am looking to go to university in Canada next year. I would be studying psychology and will be 25 years, that means over here (England) I would be classed as a mature student and therefor the fact that I only have 1 A level would not be a problem as assessments are different.
Such as the fact that Im returning to education and its my choice to study rather that "following the crowed" and that Iv already put myself though 3 years of GCSE and A levels from my own pocket rather that because its illegal not to go to school.
Oh Im also dyslexic and unsure if this will play apart.

Soo many questions, I guess first would be time scale: when would I apply to uni and should i be applying for visa at same time or after accepted to uni, I understand I would need to be accepted by a uni first.
Would I be forced to return home for any period of time even though Id be studying 3 / 4 year...another question, are the courses 3 years degree / extra year for masters?

Anything else you think would be helpful to me I may have over looked Id be grateful to hear it. I know Im taking on alot but REALLY want to do this. I will visit a few unis when I have some in mind during the month of june, july or aug just to get a feel for them. Im assuming Id apply for a few and wait to see what Im accepted for.

Also financial advice would be appreciated although I do understand that would be difficult at this stage.

Thank you for your interest.
xx

#2 3-23-2012 7:36 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Award: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 574

Re: University in Canada

I think you should sit down with a list of Canadian unis and select the ones which look most interesting for your study program. Then consider which part of the country you would like to stay in and so on. Deadlines for application etc should be on the individual universities' websites. I would contact the international office/department for international students of each institution and ask them for some guidance. That's how I did it for the UK as a non-UK resident and I got all the help I needed very quickly.

Best of luck and power through - there's a lot of paperwork to be done when you apply outside of your native country but it was so worth it for me both times I studied abroad.

Btw. I have had UBC recommended and LOVE Vancouver, so I would definitely check that out, if I were you smile

#4 4-3-2012 12:07 AM

jiba778
Posts: 104

Re: University in Canada

Maclean's magazine ranks Canadian universities annually.  You may find this information useful:

#5 4-3-2012 10:04 AM

#6 4-3-2012 10:10 AM

altmtl
Jim
Montreal, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 2935

For sure UBC, and McGill in Montreal are top notch universities .

Concordia is also very good (Montreal) - Universities in Quebec have the lowest tuition costs in Canada.

#7 4-6-2012 8:29 AM

dr_sanch
Daniel
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 251

altmtl wrote:

For sure UBC, and McGill in Montreal are top notch universities .

Despite the bullshit protests that are going on right now. Spoiled brats.

#8 4-8-2012 5:09 PM

kmamk
Myeong
South Korea
Posts: 106

Re: University in Canada

About visa: (I don't think that the visa procedure for staying in Canada is different from that in the States.)
         In the States,
         once you're accepted by a university and you give a notification for the registeration, it'll send you the paper required to apply for a student visa.

#9 4-8-2012 6:23 PM

altmtl
Jim
Posts: 2935

dr_sanch wrote:

altmtl wrote:

For sure UBC, and McGill in Montreal are top notch universities .

Despite the bullshit protests that are going on right now. Spoiled brats.

These kids are stupid, protesting against the raise of tuition fees by the quebec govt. They risk losing their whole semester... and/or their "summer jobs" by this silly protest. Mostly Young PQ hardliners, no doubt - lol

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ … etter.html

That being said I'm more concerned about the cuts to CBC & the NFB - while the govt. is spending millions on F-35 fighter jets, but that's a federal issue and off topic.

Last edited by altmtl (4-8-2012 6:24 PM)

#10 4-9-2012 4:42 PM

Rokerij
Sherwood Park, Canada
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1076

Re: University in Canada

Government never spent a penny on the F-35's (apparently someone in the DoD lied to get it passed so now they are holding off until more research can be done). CBC needs to lose all taxpayer funding immediately. Equalization payments also need to end, unfortunately that would be even worse for those students tuition increases.

Anyways, back on topic. I would also go to Uni in Montreal simply for the cheaper tuition costs. UBC specifically because Vancouver is the best city in the world and the UBC grounds are pretty amazing themselves.

#11 4-15-2012 5:50 PM

SuperGirl23
Posts: 110

Re: University in Canada

Another montrealer here, and also not a fan of the student protests. Printemps Quebecois? Give me a break!

I've studied at both McGill and UBC, and I would argue they are the countries top schools overall. Which might also make it harder to get into, but worth a shot! Here's my take on it:

UBC - I met a LOT of international/exchange students there and LOVED my experience, made tons of friends, partied every night since almost everyone lived on campus. Its very far from downtown though, so that can be annoying. the cost of living in BC is pretty high, and they have very weird liquor laws (no beer at the grocery store? No wine at the gas station? Thats just weird! lol). Vancouver is a great city, and BC is really beautiful. And oh-my-god, the food is sooo good!

McGill - Montreal is the best city in north america during the summer time, impossible to be bored, there is always something going on. during winter it gets cold, really really cold, and the parties aren't as great. Cold beer available everywhere though! McGill students tend to be a-holes and I always hated the atmosphere there. Lots of pretencious pricks, the stereotypes are true.

Concordia - all my friends went to concordia. John Molson School of Business is great, as is the fine arts department. Thats about it. Expect a more laidback vibe than you would find at McGill.

I would look into which school/program appeals to you and contact them about the application procedure. Normally, deadlines to apply are in january/february for the semester beginning in September of that year.

Last edited by SuperGirl23 (4-15-2012 5:54 PM)

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer