#1 1-26-2012 6:54 AM

raymonfhagen
Raymond
Norway
Posts: 32

Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Hi

What is your opinion on the best laptops or pads for travel. Is there any "must" have apps that the traveler should need?

-Raymond

#2 1-26-2012 1:03 PM

erojas3
Edlin
Besigheim, Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 69

Hi,
I have a laptop but I prefer traveling with an ipad. the reason for this, it is much smaller and less expensive (in case it gets stolen) than a laptop. However there are other tablets out there much cheaper than an iPad that basically do the same thing. A must have app for me would be dictionaries or those apps that give you basic sentences and phrases in that language.

#3 1-26-2012 1:16 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Wellington, New Zealand
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1747

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

ipad less expensive..yeah right!

My travel laptop is an elenox Websurfer. Cost 150 quid and is fine for surfing the net and backing up photos. It weighs in at 1kg and is half the size of normal laptops.

Problem with the ipad is its lack of versatility when it comes to being able to plug in SD cards and USB devices in order to back up photos. If their is other less expensive tablets that give the ability to plug in a USB stick, an SD card and copy files between the two then I would like to know so I can run out and buy one.

..Then their is the touch screen issue...Anything in my backpack takes an absolute beating!, including the laptop. I would not trust anything in their with a fragile touch screen as it is likely to get broken (I broke the screen on my ipod touch by dropping it from knee height)

I use the laptop mainly for backing up photos, booking hostels and emailing home. All you need is a good antivirus (I use Avast), a lightweight operating system (Windows XP or XUbuntu) and a wifi connection.

#4 1-26-2012 1:23 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 16510

Posts: 1747

fransglobal wrote:

slayerspike wrote:

Acer Aconia A500.

In New Zealand the price for this ranges from $600 to $900 NZD depending on the hard drive size.

#6 1-26-2012 1:31 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 16510

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Much better than iPad and Android Operating System is much more customisable.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tabl … -50002769/

#7 1-26-2012 2:00 PM

sweettangerine
Tania
Antwerp, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 150

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

I prefer a tablet over a laptop too. It's much smaller and lighter and easier to tag along. Too bad it can only take about 1500 pics.

#8 1-26-2012 2:54 PM

f2point8
Jay
Toronto, Canada
Posts: 31

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Yeah I rock the A500 32GB version and love it. I also bring my travel notebook which is an Acer Aspire netbook and has enough computing power to run lightroom and photoshop elements for basic editing on the road.

#9 1-26-2012 4:41 PM

Croatia
Sightseer
Posts: 56

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

I use iPad with an plugin card reader. It gives it some versatility but it's the pain in the ass anyway. For those of you considering to buy, I suggest buy some android powered tablet with card reader. It will save you a lot of frustration when dealing with iTunes and Apple bull*hit.
Don't get me wrong, I love the iPad, but sometimes I just want to smash it into the wall...

#11 1-29-2012 6:51 PM

silirat
Dan
Verdun, Canada
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 24

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

For a short trip I can use the Ipad, but for anything longer than a few days, I need the versatility of a laptop.

#12 1-30-2012 7:20 PM

Rover57
Ethiopia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 5027

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Lots of good dialogue here, I travelled through Dubai, India, Jordan and Morocco in a span of 3 weeks and I hauled my Toshiba laptop with me, to load photos and skype my kids, and emails etc.  I remember thinking if only there was something smaller, lighter but could do everything a laptop could, so can someone suggest something. ?

#13 1-30-2012 7:56 PM

buckets577
Posts: 13

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Macbook Pro, I'm a little biased since I'm a photographer and like to do image editing while I'm on the road.  I use the 13" and it doesn't ever seem to way me down.

#14 1-31-2012 1:24 AM

ccjbeachbum
cj
Miami Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 11934

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

i have a bigger computer and it weights too much - next time i travel -ill buy a ipad they are so lite

#15 2-6-2012 11:42 PM

ace_dubai
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 11

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Acer NetBook D255 for me.

I had one of these when I traveled extensively in India over a period of 3 weeks!

Main advantages: Light weight (1.25KG), USB ports, Battery Life (6 hours average depending on usage),Small size that easily fits into backpack.

I combined this with a 3G USB Modem Dongle and I had Internet on the move. Particularly useful, while traveling by bus or train.

Since I am into photography and like to offload pictures from my Camera for editing and saving memory card space, the netbook fulfilled my needs perfectly!

More info on: http://www.netbookguru.in/acer-aspire-o … ook-price/

#16 2-7-2012 2:20 AM

bunan
Posts: 12

ace_dubai wrote:

Acer NetBook D255 for me.

More info on: http://www.netbookguru.in/acer-aspire-o … ook-price/

I have the same one and about to take it on it's first trip. But this 3G Dongle you mentioned, is that something you take with you from home and can use in other countries or do you buy a new one in every country so that you can use the local connection? I use a dongle here at home but I think it only works in my country as i bought it through a mobile phone company here... But would be cool to have internet connection when sitting on the bus or train.

#17 2-10-2012 7:58 AM

livefree
michelle
Posts: 9

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

What is the best thing that is light and can hold a LOT of pictures??  Currently, I have a macbook pro, but I was hoping for something lighter.  From my understanding, the ipad has no usb cables and can't store too many photos so this doesn't sound too practical.  Looking for something $600 or less preferably. I will be traveling for approx. 8 months

Last edited by livefree (2-10-2012 7:59 AM)

#18 2-10-2012 9:20 AM

atmos05
Scott
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 310

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

If you already have a light laptop (I have no idea how big/heavy the macbook pro is) just invest in an external hard drive.  You can get something up to 1 TB for less than $100, and they're both compact and light.

#19 2-10-2012 6:42 PM

kernelpanic
Mark
Seattle, Washington
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 109

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Most Honeycomb and above, Android OS nowadays supports reading external USB devices. USB host has been added. So you can transfer your Mini/Micro/SDCard files from your camera to an external USB Flash drive. I've been using my 7", Samsung Galaxy Tab 7+, and it works great.
On my travels. I really hate hauling a laptop, since you can't hold them with one hand, like a book. Plus hauling a power brick adds extra weight. I found that when I travel, there's nothing my Android Tablet cannot do. This is compared to my Windows 7 Laptop -up to a certain degree. If I ever need Windoze OS, I just remote control my home/work PC.

If you have an older Tablet or Reader, invest on an external card reader/storage. Cheapest one I found is around $110USD, for 250GB. Although I don't advice storing files to any hard drive that has a platter. This includes storing pics on your laptop, if the hard drive is not solid state (SSD).

#20 2-11-2012 7:13 AM

CFD
Christian
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 1632

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

I have an ASUS 1000HE with a 10" screen. It can take a solid beating as its fallen down into the floor several times the screen has been through hell and back. Still works flawlessly (except two cracks in the plastic) 3years into some a lot of travelling.

I would INSPECT the new ultrabooks closely as all the screens ive seen have been REALLY flimsy. I would never put an ultrabook into my backpack like i do with my old 1000HE (which im using now) you need a protective hard case for it which adds weight and spare.

Buy a small laptop with a 10" screen or similar. Much more power than the ipad , exchangeble batteries, more storage space , better keyboard. You add abt 1kg compared to the ipad , but 1kg isnt much for all the advantages.

#21 2-11-2012 8:40 AM

livefree
michelle
Posts: 9

kernelpanic wrote:

thank you for the advice.  My biggest concern is actually storing the photos (I can easily take an average of 200 a day! and I will be out for 8 months).  Presently, I do not use any online sites like flicker or such, so maybe that would be an option as well?  I am truly not technologically savvy at all... so I don't  understand all the suggestions completely - I am not familiar with honeycomb and android (lol) ....i know, i know, I am way behind when it comes to technology!
does your samsung tab have usb and sd slot?

#22 2-11-2012 4:05 PM

Chokk
Christian
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic VAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 297

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

I use both my iMac Pro and the iPad in Europe - but I never backpack - when I travel places outside Europe I use either my iPad or my Samsung Galaxy tab; easier to carry.

#23 2-12-2012 4:46 AM

iamrobyn
Posts: 1

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

I always take my iPad backpacking and I love it! It's all I need. I use a little card reader and I can upload all my photos, edit them, and post them - all super easy to do! Plus it (and the charger) is small and fits in my daypack perfectly. No regrets with this purchase!

#24 2-12-2012 4:47 PM

ldaly04
Lisa
Sydney, Australia
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 31

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

I've got a Samsung NC110 netbook that i'm about to take RTW...it's light (1.18kg) and a bit more durable than a tablet...also the webcam and software installed make it good for skyping home easily and vlogging. the storage and inputs are probably the most significant advantage over a tablet though...

#25 2-13-2012 8:35 AM

clowboy
Dave
Vancouver, Canada
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 194

Re: Best laptop or pad for long time travel?

Best is relative but the two most important things for a serious traveller are weight and battery life imo.
under1.5kgs and at least 6 hours battery.
I have an Asus and it's lasted 18 months banging around in my backpack thus far

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer