#1 10-23-2011 3:40 PM

Thanh
Dallas, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 64

how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

I was in Vietnam in late 2009/early 2010 and bought a pre-paid SIM card (VietTel service) to use.  I kept the SIM card when I left.  I plan on returning to Vietnam for 3 weeks next month.  Any ideas if I can still recharge this SIM card or will I have to get a new one?

#2 10-23-2011 4:39 PM

altmtl
Jim
Montreal, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 2923

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

I have a collection of old sim cards too - It can be up to 3 months, 6 months or 12 months depending on the company.

#3 10-23-2011 6:53 PM

kremheild
Kremheild
Cebu, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster III
Explorer
Posts: 1029

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

it really depends on the telco u get the sim card from. mostly in asia its 3-4months if you dont use it or 0 credits

#4 10-23-2011 6:59 PM

lovelyjune
Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 21

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

sim cards dont stay long if you dont add credits especially if you let it go no credits for quite a long time say 3-6 mons or so.it depends on the company's terms and conditions.anyway its so cheap you can get a new one though.

#5 11-19-2011 9:21 AM

Kurisu
Christian
Xi'an, China
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 263

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

Depends 100% on the carrier!

I had two SIM in Malaysia, Digi and U Mobile
DiGi expired after 6 month if not recharged, U Mobile is valid for 2 years.
It's possible to extend the DiGi's expiration date to 1 one year by paying extra 30 RM or so.

Same in Singapore: StarHab is valid 2 years, SingTel only 6 month.

When I left Singapore two weeks ago, I bought a reload voucher, so before the card expires in April, I will recharge it and can use it to the end of 2012 smile

Sometimes, when you check the card's balance using the GSM codes (like *113# for Starhub or #107## for 3HK), it will show you the card's expiration date

#6 11-19-2011 2:35 PM

Miranda-Maas
Miranda
's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 105

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

Since it's almost 2 years ago I don't think you can still use it. The expiry dates vary a lot but 2 years is quite long, but hey, you can always give it a shot.

#7 11-19-2011 7:38 PM

joenatravels
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 483

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

I think your sim card is expired as it had been inactive for a year or two. But just bring it with you as the company may have a longer expiration period.  Or you can just buy a new one.  It is very cheap.  smile

#8 11-19-2011 8:27 PM

zhongyi
Neely1983
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Posts: 27

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

Dear Thanhsolo... sim , card in Viet nam is so cheap...cheapest in the world i think....

for example: u buy a new sim costed 150.000 dong, u have 300.000d in ur account... with 300.000d u r feel free to use for a long time.........

Forget old sim since new sim has more advantages.....

Enjoy ur trip

#9 11-20-2011 2:43 AM

Kurisu
Christian
Xi'an, China
Posts: 263

joenatravels wrote:

Agreed! Just get new one...

I try to keep my SIM cards as long as possible, so I don't confuse my local friends by using new numbers all the time... wink

#10 11-20-2011 11:40 AM

thanhsolo
Thanh
Dallas, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 64

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

It's not due to price, but to convenience.  Everybody I care to give my Vietnamese number to already have it.  It's a hassle to update numbers.

I arrived in Saigon today.  Popped in my old sim and it gave the "SIM not provisioned" error.  Picked up another Sim for less than $5 at the airport.  Just have to update everybody on my  new number.  Uggh.

#11 11-20-2011 7:46 PM

zhongyi
Neely1983
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Posts: 27

Re: how long do pre-paid SIM cards last?

enjoy ur time in sai gon, if u like to have a dinner, feel free to contact me via: 0908963745....

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer