#1 8-10-2011 10:54 AM

lucycolenutt6
Couch Potato

visa for Thailand for 2 months

Hiii smile i am going to be travelling Thailand for 3 months & the visa options are confusing me!! can i get a 90 day visa without doing the border hop to get a new one? please help! also where do I get my visa from before leaving the country? smile

#2 8-10-2011 11:02 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: visa for Thailand for 2 months

Without knowing your nationality, impossible to answer about visas. Anyway, article on Thailand on www.wikitravel.org has info on visa requirements. It has a link to the the website of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Otherwise, contact your local Thai consulate.

I don't think you can get a visa for ninety days continuously.

#3 8-10-2011 12:06 PM

sarahjayne87
Award: Community LeaderAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad

im from the uk and i get 60 days at a time and then do a visa run for my next set of 60 days which i do have to apply for before i arrive

#4 8-10-2011 1:19 PM

lucycolenutt6
Couch Potato

i am from the UK..where do you get your visa from? so you can't travel a full 90 days, you need to do a visa run? is this quite straight forward? sorry i'm quite new to all this! smile

#5 8-10-2011 1:22 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

It's on the article on wikitravel or just google Thai Embassy London.

#6 8-10-2011 2:04 PM

sarahjayne87
Award: Community LeaderAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad

lucycolenutt6 wrote:

i am from the UK..where do you get your visa from? so you can't travel a full 90 days, you need to do a visa run? is this quite straight forward? sorry i'm quite new to all this! smile

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/ < on that site, just print off the visa form and send it off to them

no you cant do a full 90 days (i would love that), u have to do a visa run. they can be simple or they can be really long and annoyying - iv done many visa runs in thailand the cheapest ones i find are the boat trips to malaysia, bookable everywhere in thailand but it takes so long and its soo boring!

i find the best visa runs i have done have been me leaving thailand and going on a weeks holiday to somewhere such as cambodia however the burma visa run aint bad either, you can do it on foot and takes a few minutes, if you around up north that is smile

#7 8-10-2011 2:40 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

You can get a visa for Thailand for a year, but you have to be lucky enough to be over fifty...

#8 8-10-2011 2:58 PM

hippysunshine
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Can I just clarify something with you guys. Are these options correct for thailand visas for the UK.
1. free 30 day entry when flying in
2. free 15 day entry by land
3. Paid 60 day visa

Is it possible to get the 30 days, leave Thailand for a week and re enter Thailand for an extra free 30 days if flying back in? That was my plan ha. x

#9 8-10-2011 3:02 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

That is my understanding. I don't think you have to leave for a week. I did it three times last year - I'm Irish but I'm pretty sure it's same for citizens of all EU countries, or at least Western ones such as Ireland and UK.

#10 8-10-2011 9:23 PM

Mnawin
Win
Singapore, Singapore
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I don't think you have to leave for a week. I did it while I stayed in Bangkok, normally went to Cambodia border for day trip and stay one afternoon and come back, get another get another 14 days. sometime, just U turn after Cambordia immigration.. big_smile

#11 8-11-2011 3:37 AM

jdelaney
Joe
Runcorn, England
Couch Potato

If you get your free 30 days when entering by plane then pay for another 30 days, how much does it cost? (I'm English if that makes a difference).

#12 8-11-2011 4:07 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

I'm not sure that if you enter Thailand visa free for thirty days that you can extend your stay while within the country. I think you must leave but I'm not sure about that. You should check with your nearest Thai consulate and not rely entirely on anything anybody says on these forums.

If you know in advance you want to enter Thailand and stay for more than thirty days, maybe you'd be better off applying for the sixty day visa in advance. Or else, do a visa run at the end of the thirty days.

This is the website of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

For the original poster, this section may be interesting:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2649

If you scroll down, it says that if you enter with a 60 day tourist visa,  you can apply for another 30 days at any immigration office. That's my interpretation of it but it is up to you to check with Thai consulate.

#13 8-11-2011 4:18 AM

hippysunshine
Wanderer

This may be a daft question, but what is a border run?
Is it it what Mnawin described?

Thanks for the clarification guys, I thought that this was the case so I will be doing 30 days, leaving to go to Laos and coming back for 30 days smile

#14 8-11-2011 4:19 AM

hippysunshine
Wanderer

jdelaney wrote:

If you get your free 30 days when entering by plane then pay for another 30 days, how much does it cost? (I'm English if that makes a difference).

Why dont you visit a neighbouring country or something and then fly back in for your extra 30 days free? (or 15 days by land?)

You wanted to go to Laos didnt you? You could visit there and then go back to thailand maybe?

#15 8-11-2011 4:20 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

Yep, a border run (or visa run) what Mnawin described. Nearly everybody at least from Western countries needs a visa to enter Laos or Cambodia though which you can get at designated arrival points. Malaysia does not require visa for most Westerners so this could be a better option if you just want to leave Thailand and go back in.  Remember though if you re-enter by land, you only get fifteen days visa free.

You cannot keep doing this forever. The site says:

'- foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.'

Burma can be complicated for a visa run...

#16 8-11-2011 9:38 AM

jdelaney
Joe
Runcorn, England
Couch Potato

hippysunshine wrote:

jdelaney wrote:

Why dont you visit a neighbouring country or something and then fly back in for your extra 30 days free? (or 15 days by land?)

You wanted to go to Laos didnt you? You could visit there and then go back to thailand maybe?

Yeah I suppose that is a possibility. Planned to do the whole of Thailand first though and then go over to Laos after new year. Don't think there's any point flying out and back in again just for the sake of a visa if it's more expensive than just paying for it anyway. I'll weigh it up anyhow, cheers.

#17 8-11-2011 10:01 AM

Mnawin
Win
Singapore, Singapore
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

fransglobal wrote:

Yep, a border run (or visa run) what Mnawin described. Nearly everybody at least from Western countries needs a visa to enter Laos or Cambodia though which you can get at designated arrival points. Malaysia does not require visa for most Westerners so this could be a better option if you just want to leave Thailand and go back in.  Remember though if you re-enter by land, you only get fifteen days visa free.

You cannot keep doing this forever. The site says:

'- foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.'

Burma can be complicated for a visa run...

Hi Francis & Hippy, almost forget about the westerners passport, sorry..

#18 8-12-2011 1:20 AM

hippysunshine
Wanderer

jdelaney wrote:

hippysunshine wrote:

jdelaney wrote:

Yeah I suppose that is a possibility. Planned to do the whole of Thailand first though and then go over to Laos after new year. Don't think there's any point flying out and back in again just for the sake of a visa if it's more expensive than just paying for it anyway. I'll weigh it up anyhow, cheers.

Yeah weigh up your options.
See we are doing Northern Thailand then heading to Laos for my friends birthday then back to Thailand, so unless you really want to go to a neighbouring country then it MAY work out cheaper to buy the 60 day visa.

Either way, I shall see you NYE :p

#19 10-6-2011 10:07 AM

Wainy399
Ben
Lincoln, England
Couch Potato

Here is a question for you all,

If I get a 60 day visa, then for arguments sake after 3 days to go to Laos for a week, how many days visa will I get when returning back to Thailand? Will the 60 day visa still be valid or will it be the 15/30 day stamp I get on my passport on arrival back in Thailand?

#20 10-6-2011 12:40 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

Again, without knowing your nationality, impossible to answer.  You can norally get a sixty day visa but I don't know if that is multi-entry or single entry. You would need to check with your nearest Thai consulate.

There is a link to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website on the article on Thailand on www.wikitravel.org. You may find some info there.

#21 10-6-2011 5:42 PM

Sept922
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

The 60 day visa is not valid if you leave and come back without a double entry.  If you come back overland...15 days to you.....air 30 days. Being a UK citizen.

#22 10-8-2011 10:38 AM

Adamdoodles
Adam
Tehran, Iran
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

There was no price difference for me to get a 60 day multiple entry visa - just state it on your application form - then you can leave and come back with your visa still valid.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer