#1 8-9-2011 11:38 AM

andreamylesa
andreamylesa
Ontario, Canada
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

Closing time, you don't have to go home but you cant stay here!

What are the drinking hours in your city??

Here in Toronto all bars stay open til 2am. But then again we dont start going out til like 9/10pm. Last call is officially at 2am and then the establishment stops serving you and you gotta get out by 230am.

The bars in London got really busy around 5/6pm but then they closed at 11/11:30pm and then I had to find somewhere else to go.

(Oh and if you dont know the tune already check it out - Closing Time by Semisonic)

Last edited by andreamylesa (8-9-2011 2:23 PM)

#2 8-9-2011 11:48 AM

jdig0304
john
Uijeongbu, South Korea
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad

Re: Closing time, you don't have to go home but you cant stay here!

Buffalo NY 4am. Schweinfurt Germany 5 or 6 am on the weekends. Berlin- never closes on the weekends

#3 8-9-2011 12:40 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

3am here in Indiana.
You cannot get alcohol from a shop on Sundays, only at a bar or restaurant.

#4 8-9-2011 12:56 PM

andreamylesa
andreamylesa
Ontario, Canada
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

jdig0304 wrote:

Buffalo NY 4am. Schweinfurt Germany 5 or 6 am on the weekends. Berlin- never closes on the weekends

Seriously! Bars are open til 4 in Buffalo?
Well Im going to Berlin next year so Ill defo have to get lots of rest smile

#5 8-9-2011 1:14 PM

James1985
James
Brixham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

In England proper bars have lock ins!  In which case we drink until we bloody well feel like it.

#6 8-9-2011 1:21 PM

davegeddis
Dave
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

A lot of places in the UK do indeed have late licenses that can result in bars/clubs etc staying open till 6am. Most of the pubs will start calling time from 11pm though. Unfortunately in the UK, the longer the pubs seem to stay open, the more anti-social behaviour it seems to attract!

#7 8-9-2011 1:53 PM

bugjuice
John
Edison, New Jersey
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

NYC 4am

#8 8-9-2011 1:56 PM

andreamylesa
andreamylesa
Ontario, Canada
Tourist

nathan85 wrote:

The Crobar is open until 3am.

The Dublin Castle in Camden (assuming it's still there) is open until 2am every night, even on a sunday (it's rare to have places open late that day).

Actually friday and saturday nights, a lot of places generally have later licenses.

Hmm, its  shame we didnt get to see this place while i was there. But for the most part all the bars we went to closed early. But Im sure if we ventured further out of the city we would have found something.

#9 8-9-2011 1:59 PM

andreamylesa
andreamylesa
Ontario, Canada
Tourist

davegeddis wrote:

A lot of places in the UK do indeed have late licenses that can result in bars/clubs etc staying open till 6am. Most of the pubs will start calling time from 11pm though. Unfortunately in the UK, the longer the pubs seem to stay open, the more anti-social behaviour it seems to attract!

Yeah I figured that was probably the reason why lol, but I didnt wanna go to a club til 6am just to have a beer so that why it was so hard for me to say good bye and leave at 11pm:(

#10 8-9-2011 2:01 PM

andreamylesa
andreamylesa
Ontario, Canada
Tourist

bugjuice wrote:

NYC 4am

When do people start going out for drinks? I suspect like 10pm right?

#11 8-9-2011 2:37 PM

davegeddis
Dave
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

nathan85 wrote:

andreamylesa wrote:

nathan85 wrote:

The Crobar is open until 3am.

The Dublin Castle in Camden (assuming it's still there) is open until 2am every night, even on a sunday (it's rare to have places open late that day).

Actually friday and saturday nights, a lot of places generally have later licenses.

Hmm, its  shame we didnt get to see this place while i was there. But for the most part all the bars we went to closed early. But Im sure if we ventured further out of the city we would have found something.

Haha not likely - the late bars are all in town. I dont go out drinking where I live usually, although there's a  nice "old man" pub here (that's what we call an ale pub with friendly older folk rather than younger louder people).

We do love the 'old man pubs' for the quieter nights propping up the bar! Ale and pork scratchings and maybe a game of darts.

#12 8-9-2011 3:30 PM

dowlo
Matthew
Edinburgh, Scotland
Couch Potato

3 in brissie

#13 8-9-2011 3:37 PM

Sept922
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

In Tokyo you can jam all nite until the next day. Just depends on the area of your business and the type of license. We always went til dawn! In NYC clubs and bars are under diff laws. Depends on alcohol..membership etc. every city in the US is different than the next.

#14 8-9-2011 4:34 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I think its normally 23.30 or 00.30 closing time in Ireland, south of the border. Late licences in many city centre places allow much later drinking, at least at weekends.

In Northern Ireland, laws are UK but are slightly different than in England. It seems they are a bit different in Scotland too.

I lived in Brussels for four years and I'm not sure there are closing times officially. Places tended to stay open while there were still enough customers. It could be hard to find somewhere open in August though at times...

#15 8-9-2011 5:11 PM

andreamylesa
andreamylesa
Ontario, Canada
Tourist

fransglobal wrote:

I think its normally 23.30 or 00.30 closing time in Ireland, south of the border. Late licences in many city centre places allow much later drinking, at least at weekends.

In Northern Ireland, laws are UK but are slightly different than in England. It seems they are a bit different in Scotland too.

I lived in Brussels for four years and I'm not sure there are closing times officially. Places tended to stay open while there were still enough customers. It could be hard to find somewhere open in August though at times...

Hard to find a drinking spot in august? Why is that?

#16 8-9-2011 5:18 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I was only half serious but a lot of the cafes etc do close and go off on their summer holidays.

I don't know what situation is now but in parts of UK including Northern Ireland and Wales, it was illegal to sell alcohol on Sunday.

#17 8-9-2011 6:52 PM

Grace2011
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

you can buy alcohol from the local shops 24hours a day but remember "The Church"-bar/club that opens at 10 am ish

#18 8-9-2011 7:25 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Wellington, New Zealand
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Wellington - New Zealand
Most bars are open till 5am
Strip joints and Technobars (Both require payment for entry) are open till 7-8am

You can not buy alcohol from a store after 10pm.
Supermarkets only sell beer and wine.

Most cities in NZ have a 5am close time while the towns have a 2am or 3am close time.
Here most people don't go into town until 11pm.

I like the English way!, They start drinking after work and are home in bed by 1am big_smile

#19 8-9-2011 10:26 PM

JTG79
Edmonton, Canada
Couch Potato

andreamylesa wrote:

Here in Toronto all bars stay open til 2am. But then again we dont start going out til like 9/10

Lol who goes to the bar at 10? its more like midnight.

#20 8-9-2011 11:24 PM

carlydc1985
Carly
Sydney, Australia
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

2 a.m. here in Dallas, TX

#21 8-9-2011 11:30 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Kampala, Uganda
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Edinburgh used to be almost 24/7 but I'm not sure if it still is. We used to start drinking at 11am, keep going until the clubs shut at 3 or 4am, and if you hung around for another hour then the Penny Black used to open at 5am for the postal workers coming off shift. I never made it past 4am (or 6am but the last two hours were usually at someone's house so it doesn't count), but the boys I was friends with could do 28 hour drinking. I wouldn't try that these days!

#22 8-10-2011 12:19 AM

adrian780
Adrian
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tourist

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Opens at 8ish till 3am..
It get pack round 11pm but one thing for sure is the drinks are super expensive.. (USD 6 for a bottle of heineken)

#23 8-10-2011 4:58 AM

mbeltoft
Michael
Copenhagen, Denmark
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

In Denmark the 'normal' pubs open between 10 and 12 am and closes at 2am.
Then there's the posh bars, the clubs and the late night places that open from 5pm till 8pm and closes 5-6am and then we have the morning bars that open around 4am and closes at 4-6pm

so if you want to you can get hammered 24/7 big_smile

#24 8-10-2011 1:28 PM

kernelpanic
Mark
Seattle, Washington
Tourist

2am in the state of California, both bars and stores. Last call usually at 1:30am. I used to live in Nevada, 24/7 for alcohol.

#25 8-10-2011 3:57 PM

andreamylesa
andreamylesa
Ontario, Canada
Tourist

JTG79 wrote:

andreamylesa wrote:

Here in Toronto all bars stay open til 2am. But then again we dont start going out til like 9/10

Lol who goes to the bar at 10? its more like midnight.

haha, I know eh? Seriously we go out really really late, lol

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer