#1 6-17-2011 7:34 AM

Washington, District of Columbia
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Travelpedian
Sightseer
Posts: 90

How do you dry clothes in a humid environment without a dryer?

Recently I was in the Trinidad rainforest during its rainy season.  I sweat easily and can completely drench my clothing in very little time, especially if it’s hot or if I push myself hard while exercising or sightseeing.
I usually bring along detergent to wash things out in the sink and hang them to dry.  However, I stayed in the mountains where a clothes dryer wasn’t available, and it was so humid the entire time that my clothes never dried; instead, they began to mildew after a day or two (I hung them in my room, which didn’t have the greatest airflow; perhaps things would have been different if I could have hung them outside).

How do people in humid climates launder their clothing?  How do they dry them, or at least how do they avoid mildew?

#2 6-17-2011 8:01 AM

Haydenerg
Astrid
Imatra, Finland
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 443

Re: How do you dry clothes in a humid environment without a dryer?

I used to hang all my clothes outside and never put my outfits inside the tumble dry as it will destroy some clothes. So I like to have natural dry under the sunshine no matter need to wait to dry for a day or so..

Last edited by Haydenerg (6-17-2011 8:02 AM)

#3 6-17-2011 9:33 AM

es1418
Eric
Washington, District of Columbia
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Travelpedian
Sightseer
Posts: 90

jethanad wrote:

smile We are switching to lighter, synhetics for this very reason

All my travel and exercise clothes are quick-drying synthetics (mostly UnderArmour gear), and they still didn't dry in that exceptionally humid rainforest environment.  sad

#4 6-17-2011 1:06 PM

berna24
Bernadette
Milsbeek, Netherlands
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 137

Re: How do you dry clothes in a humid environment without a dryer?

Just hang it outside, draise well.

#5 6-17-2011 2:38 PM

CFD
Christian
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 1632

Re: How do you dry clothes in a humid environment without a dryer?

Time.. If its really humid it takes really long for something to dry so time is of the essence. If they dont dry in a day i normally just use them anyway. I normally wash my underwear and stuff in the shower, but the rest of the items isnt really washed in quite some time unless they smell.

#6 6-19-2011 11:35 PM

ClaireV1987
Claire
Townsville, Australia
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 295

Re: How do you dry clothes in a humid environment without a dryer?

I live in the tropics in staff accomodation with about 30 staff and 3 clothes dryers so I completely understand your problem! I don't really have an option to hang my clothes outside however I hang them in my room and turn the fan right up. Also I never fold my clothes until they are completely dry as that makes them moldy. If you have to hang them outside (as you probably don't have a fan) then try to make sure there is as little moisture left in them as possible and put them in direct sun to dry them quickly, that will minimise the amount of mould on them.
Also, I store all my clothes with a 'damp-rid' thing to minimise excess moisture, you can get travel types of them too.

#7 6-19-2011 11:57 PM

Sept922
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1289

I always use a fan.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer