#1 3-13-2011 2:55 PM

kimpigott
Kim
Aylesbury, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato
Posts: 15

Is it possible to work in Thailand?

Can anyone advise on whether it is possible to work in Thailand? I've had a brief look at visas but just wondering if anyone can give me the heads up!

Any help would be appreciated! smile

#2 3-13-2011 3:15 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 16260

Re: Is it possible to work in Thailand?

I presume you are UK citizen from your profile. Normally, you would require a work visa/permit to legally work in any country outside of the EU.

See the relevant section on the wikitravel article about Thailand:

You will find a link in that article to Thai Ministry of Foreign which details all the different types of visas etc available.

#3 3-13-2011 3:59 PM

Mr_Curt
Curt
Bangkok, Thailand
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 256

Re: Is it possible to work in Thailand?

Legally, working in Thailand, even volunteer work, requires a category B visa. Acquiring such a visa is a bit of a process.

English teacher or dive instructor are about the only two opportunities.

"Casual" work, like waitress or bartender, aren't readily available. Few will hire a foreigner when locals will work for less than ₤5 per day, without any complaining.

Last edited by Mr_Curt (3-13-2011 3:59 PM)

#4 3-13-2011 4:19 PM

Red Deer, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Is it possible to work in Thailand?

It's fun to work in Thailand and once you jump through all the hoops and do the run arounds of this and that, it can pay off. If this is something you are considering for a couple years, then it is well worth the hassle. If you are going for a little work holiday for a couple months to a year, I would reconsider.

I worked as a dive instructor in Phuket for 9 months. My WP was only valid for Phuket and in order to work anywhere else I would need to obtain different documents. I'm not familiar with English teacher visas or standards, but also within my WP there did not seem to be any real standards from one lawyer/accountant to another so I never knew if i was getting the "deal" or getting ripped off. Not to mention I can't read all the thai documents, so who knows what I was signing.

I hope this doesn't deter you, however it is the cold hard truth that you do need to consider. Also what line of work you are doing and for how long. You also need to research various people who can set it up for you to ensure you aren't over spending or getting ripped off.  As Curt mentioned, Thailand is fairly strict on who they bring into the country as they believe if a local can do a job, then they should hire them first. Although if their is a position that can not be fulfilled by a local, then it will be offered to a farang.

#5 3-13-2011 7:14 PM

Mr_Curt
Curt
Bangkok, Thailand
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 256

Re: Is it possible to work in Thailand?

" ... once you jump through all the hoops and do the run arounds of this and that, it can pay off ."

So, did you take all that baht and invest it?

#6 3-13-2011 8:46 PM

Re: Is it possible to work in Thailand?

Funny story Curt, I actually made some money while I was there, which I was putting towards a 3 week trip through Cambodia and Laos. And on an overnight bus from the full moon party to bangkok just before my trip, I had made the huge mistake of putting the money from my cashed cheques into a toiletry bag, covered up and locked in my dive bag and sadly during the night, a bus boy broke into my bag and found the money and took every last baht! So I guess I invested it into that guys life. I'm sure he had a hell of a time spending the money. Although I do secretly hope he got run over by a bus... karma can be a b***h

#7 3-15-2011 7:10 AM

guybooth
Lagos, Nigeria
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer
Posts: 2020

Re: Is it possible to work in Thailand?

Sorry for your story, but why didn’t you put your money in a bank – anyone can open an account in five minutes in Phuket with a work permit. (you can even open an account without any permits at some branches).

There was a recent thread on the topic of working in Thailand…Most ex-pat jobs pay poorly paid, and the Thais are not the most organized or professional nation – that can lead to all sort so difficulties in the workplace.

#8 3-16-2011 6:45 PM

ccjbeachbum
cj
Miami Beach, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 11934

subway pays 32 baht a hour   - another teach english

#9 3-18-2011 6:45 AM

Re: Is it possible to work in Thailand?

Nah I never had a bank because I was leaving the country and travelling before I went home... It was stupid of me though to cash it all in at once. Lesson learned!

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer