• Forums Index
  •  » Europe
  •  » Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

#1 2-10-2011 8:16 PM

paol
Paola
Belarus
Posts: 2

Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Italy this year. I've never been, and my boyfriends been once years ago.  I'd like to get an idea of the best part of Italy to spend our vacation, what NOT to waste our time/money on, and MUST see spots. We are both the type of travelers that don't like the tour guide, tourist trap locals. We like off the beaten path, and to actually experience culture along with the people of the country. We are not wealthy, but budget conscious (not cheap) travelers as well. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank You All. big_smile

#2 2-11-2011 1:16 AM

jhoc
Jeremy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 301

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

July and August tend to be the high season months for best weather but come with large crowds and higher costs.

The south of Tropea has apartments that aren't all that expensive and you can get a car to drive around and see some of the culture.  The beaches there are less organised than the parking spot/beach chairs you hire out on other beaches in the country.

#3 2-11-2011 1:49 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 16364

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

Click on destinations guide at top of page, enter Italy and you'll find plenty of info. Look at the article on www.wikitravel.org also. Or download guides for some of the cities from www.arrivalguides.com.

Best time depends on what you want to do so maybe you can clarify that. If you want warm weather, July/August are the best but many parts will be very hot, very crowded and very expensive.  I would prefer travel in April-June or September-October. If you want to go skiing February is probably best.

Where to go also depends on your interests but highlights for me are Rome, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Sicily, the Alps and especially the Dolomites - one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in. Bergamo is also one  of my favourite cities in Italy. Padua well worth a visit. The lakes - Maggiore, Como and Garda are fantastic - have not been to Garda myself yet.

There's just so much to see and do in Italy.

#4 2-11-2011 2:37 AM

Rokerij
Sherwood Park, Canada
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1076

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

I found that the further south you went the cheaper it became. We stayed at a great flat in Tropea overlooking the whole town for 15 euro a night (www.salato.net). I also agree with Francis that Cinque Terra is worth a visit.

We also found Florence, Rome, and the Amalfi coast as must see destinations where you aren't limited to the touristy area's. While I think Venice is a must see, there is no avoiding the tourist area's since that is all that is keeping that city afloat.

I never made it to the lakes, but it is tops on my list when we go back.

#5 2-14-2011 11:11 AM

paol
Paola
Belarus
Posts: 2

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

THANK YOU for all the responses. Each very helpful. I wonder what time of year is best? I recently read a blog on Lonely Planet, and the blogger stated every month except January and February as good times.  Anyone know why these wouldn't be good times? It's already come and gone, but just curious.  If we were to travel south, are trains good transportation and what should we know about train travel?

#6 2-14-2011 11:17 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 16364

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

January and February can be very cold and daylight very short. I would put November in the same category. Train travel in Italy is fine but the trains aren't necessarily on time. See the article on wikitravel (see post 3 above). See also article on Italy on www.seat61.com for specific info on train travel there.

Really though there isn't a bad time to visit Italy. The food is always great.

#7 2-14-2011 2:21 PM

Rokerij
Sherwood Park, Canada
Explorer
Posts: 1076

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

I think late August to early September is the best time. Summer is winding down and a large chunk of the tourists are already gone. Italians seem to all travel in July which leaves the towns empty and businesses closed - which isn't very fun when you are in a small town with 1 business and in desperate need of something only available in that store.

The trains down south were never on time when I was there, but they weren't too late. The worst was about 2 hours. We did notice that you can't trust the platform it says to be on. We narrowly missed a train or 2 because it was on a different platform - if the locals weren't so friendly we would have never known why our train didn't show. The one thing about trains south of Rome, especially the circumvencuvienza (or however it is spelled - between Naples and Sorrento) is that it is busy and it has no A/C. Dress light if it is a hot day and wear lots of deodorant (to drown out the smell of other people, not because you need it).

If summer isn't your thing or the high season prices aren't within your budget than like Francis said there really isn't a bad time to go. I was there in May-September, January/February, and October/November and every time was great. Obviously we planned based on weather - no point going to the beach in January.

Last edited by Rokerij (2-14-2011 2:22 PM)

#8 2-15-2011 3:32 AM

silasphillips
Posts: 45

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

Rome and Florence, both are great places in Italy. There is so much to see and do in Rome. Rome has many lovely historical places and monuments. Florence is also an awesome spot in Italy for art and culture lovers. It is comparatively less crowded than Rome. Uffizi and Accademia are great places in Florence with stunning art and architecture. Other travel destinations that are worth visiting are Sicily and Venice.

#9 2-15-2011 2:46 PM

brettjayhawk
Brett
Overland Park, Kansas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 353

Re: Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?

I went to Rome last January.  It was very cloudy all day and it does get dark sooner.  It also rained a lot when I was there.  There were people on each street corner trying to sell poor quality umbrellas.  It was very beautiful there during that time though.  No waiting in lines I would probably go back in the winter months to Rome.  During the day it was in the 60's  and high 50's so I just wore a light weight North Face everywhere.

• Forums Index
  •  » Europe
  •  » Best time of year to visit Italy & What is the warmest region?
This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer