#1 8-10-2010 12:43 PM

Will
Dallas, Texas
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

Obviously shoes are going to be a big space hog so I want something versatile. I don't own hiking boots but I wouldnt mind getting them if it's the best choice to have for a month of hostelling around europe.

#2 8-10-2010 1:27 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Kampala, Uganda
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4625

Re: Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

It depends completely what you are planning to do, and what time of year you're staying.  If you are planning to stay in cities or towns, you don't need hiking boots.  We have sidewalks here too!  wink  If you are planning on climbing some mountains, then you will need decent footwear.  In some places you'll get off with trail trainers - I don't know what they'd be called in American English but basically sneakers that have decent thick soles, but more flexible than a skate shoe - or walking sandals.  But really, if you are in any doubt, wear your boots to fly and pack a pair of more comfy, light shoes in your bag.  Boots are one of the few things that are expensive to buy if you decide you need them here.

#3 8-10-2010 1:45 PM

sweettangerine
Tania
Antwerp, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 150

Re: Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

Exactly as Sarah says, it really depends on what you plan to do. Apart from serious hiking, you 'll be fine with sneakers with a good profile sole. Though if you are really comfortable in boots and like to wear them everywhere, wear them already on the plane journey, it saves the space in your luggage.

#4 8-18-2010 2:52 PM

Glynnes
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4275

sarahelaine wrote:

I agree with Sarahelaine.
Will you be climbing/hiking to staying in the cities or towns?

Safe travels...

#5 8-18-2010 3:00 PM

seraphimkarlien
Antwerp, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 778

Re: Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

I've been on trips where the only shoes I brought were hiking boots. But those were trips that were *mostly* about hiking. I know there are some trails in the High Tatras that you're not allowed to take without proper hiking boots, though of course there's no-one checking that. But they're good for going to festivals and such when it's muddy too.

#6 8-19-2010 12:19 AM

travlnflyn_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster III
Nomad
Posts: 509

Re: Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

Get yourself a really good pair of sneakers for your trip. There are crappy footwear and there are good ones. I've done quite a bit of walking in Europe and I've been layed up for a good 24 hours from walking endlessly with crappy shoes and sneakers. I think sneakers will be better than hiking boots by far unless your sole purpose is serious hiking. Since buying a good pair of sneakers with gel soles I've been able to walk for miles and hours everywhere I go. Sneakers are versatile and you can use them to do alittle hiking in too. Either way carry some moleskin with you just incase you haven't broke in your footwear before going.

#7 8-19-2010 12:27 AM

tommylennie
Tommy
Tokyo, Japan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 139

Re: Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

Yep,  I agree with Jeff, a decent pair of sneakers will suffice.

#8 8-19-2010 12:53 AM

Rokerij
Sherwood Park, Canada
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1076

searchin4sabatini wrote:

If you do, make sure they are blackish for the nightclubs... Invaluable tip from my local adventure camping store...

I agree with this and with Jeff. I usually do a vary diverse range of activities from walking, to climbing, to fine dining and clubbing. I found a good dark pair of well ventilated shoes that were a combination of water shoes and hikers. They looked dressy enough to go out, but still were versatile enough to be high quality hikers.

I also took a pair of flip flops. I just can't do communal showers without them.

I used TEVA, but I use Merrel and Oakley back here at home. I found the TEVA's to be the lightest and best ventilated.

#9 8-19-2010 1:05 AM

Sweetski
Rudolph
The Hague, Netherlands
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1920

Re: Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

From what I can see at your profile page, you'll be mostly walking around on tracks, enjoying the various Grand Prix smile You don't need hiking boots for that.

However, if you decide to do some serious walking while exploring cities or through the country side, you are better off with a pair of 'soft walkers'; hiking boots in the lightest category. Boots have a classifying system  that goes from A to E. A being the most soft,very suitable for even and paved paths, E being the toughest, suitable for hiking the Mount Everest. If you plan on combing city and country side your best bet would be a combined A/B boot. It's like walking on a cloud so soft, yet with sturdy ankle support.

Last edited by Sweetski (8-19-2010 1:05 AM)

#10 9-29-2010 9:56 AM

ctjevans
Evans
World
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 115

Re: Should I wear hiking boots for my month in europe?

I brought my 1kg-hiking boots on my backpacking trip around the UK & Ireland and it was just extra weight in my pack... I never put them on once during the trip.  quality hiking sneakers are fine.  Light weight, comfortable (I prefer soft and flexible), durable, and breathable are ideal qualities to consider.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer