#1 8-8-2010 3:46 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

Does Travel Insurance cover missing your flight?

Hi all,

I am travelling to California soon for two weeks to stay with my American Friend.

Is it worth getting travel insurance?

Also, on the way back I have a connecting flight, Sacramento to London, via Houston. I have about 10 mins to get from one gate to another at different terminals at Houston.

I don't know how connecting flights work, and I am really scared about missing the flight back to the UK as there are only 2 per day from Houston with Continental.

Does travel insurance cover this eventuality?   Thanks.

#2 8-8-2010 3:54 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Does Travel Insurance cover missing your flight?

Ten minutes? Wow, that's extremely tight. Even if you make it, your luggage may not. Are you sure it is only ten minutes?

Is this booked on one through ticket or did you book the two flight segments separately?

If you miss the flight and have a through ticket, the airline will presumably just put you on the next one.

If you booked the flights separately, and you miss the onward flight, the airline(s) may not accept responsibility. Whether or not this eventuality is covered by travel insurance would depend on the terms and conditions of whatever travel insurance you bought.

#3 8-8-2010 3:57 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

Well I land at Houston at 17:46 from Sacramento on 5th Sept, and my flight to London takes off at 18:25. Assuming Continental shuts its gates 20 minutes before, I have from 17:46 to 18:05 to get from one Houston terminal to another.

Being unfamiliar with connecting flights, this is really worrying me. Even more so as there won't be another continental flight to the UK from Houston till the next day. But the place I bought my tickets from said that if it wasn't possible, the airline wouldn't match the two flights as connecting.

I am just hoping and praying Houston airport isn't big !!!

#4 8-8-2010 3:59 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

The important question here is did you buy a through ticket or two separate tickets? Are both flights with Continental?

#5 8-8-2010 4:00 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

I need to get from Terminal C to Terminal E  in 15 mins.... I looked on a map of the airport and it doesn't look too far, but it could be a long way in real life, eek !!

#6 8-8-2010 4:01 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

fransglobal wrote:

The important question here is did you buy a through ticket or two separate tickets? Are both flights with Continental?

A through flight as both check in numbers are same for both flights, and they're both Continental.

#7 8-8-2010 4:07 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

You mean the six character PNR number? If it is the same for both, you probably have a through ticket. Without seeing it, it is impossible to say.

Continental would only have sold such a connection if the times were realistic, though it does seem very tight. If your incoming flight into Houston is delayed, they will probably hold the outgoing flight. You will probably not be the only person making that connection. Make sure that they know you have a  tight connection if there is any delay, just in case they overlook it.

If they don't hold the onward flight and you miss it, normally Continental will just put you on the next available flight at no cost to yourself. I presume they would also pay your overnight expenses, if need be.

#8 8-8-2010 4:33 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

fransglobal wrote:

You mean the six character PNR number? If it is the same for both, you probably have a through ticket. Without seeing it, it is impossible to say.

Continental would only have sold such a connection if the times were realistic, though it does seem very tight. If your incoming flight into Houston is delayed, they will probably hold the outgoing flight. You will probably not be the only person making that connection. Make sure that they know you have a  tight connection if there is any delay, just in case they overlook it.

If they don't hold the onward flight and you miss it, normally Continental will just put you on the next available flight at no cost to yourself. I presume they would also pay your overnight expenses, if need be.

If its not delayed and it's my fault for not finding the gate in time due to panic, where do I stand then?

#9 8-8-2010 4:37 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

Don't panic!

#10 8-8-2010 5:37 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

aloha_keith wrote:

I'm assuming you're flying into iAH and not Into HOU.  IAH is a large airport, especially for Continental since it's one of their hubs. The gates are spaced out fairly well apart from each other. You better hope you don't get stuck behind slow people when deplaning!

Yeah IAH I am flying into. I hope so too !  I'll barge them out of the way !

#11 8-8-2010 5:57 PM

Glynnes
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Please get the travel insurance for peace of mind.  Read the policy before you purchase it to make sure that missing a connection is covered.

Also, Let's say that you do make the plane in 15 minutes superman, what about your luggage;-D

Travel insurance, will make sure that you have some clean Knickers while waiting the arrival of your  luggage;-D  No harn down with getting the travel insurance - Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Safe travel...

Last edited by gpat (8-11-2010 10:06 AM)

#12 8-8-2010 6:16 PM

Connie
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

The Houston airport is massive and your window is pretty tight.  Make sure to let the flight attendants know your situation before landing.  Sometimes they'll radio ahead to inform your connecting flight that you're landing and on your way.  They'll even be able to update you with the correct gate since it's possible it'll change before you arrive. 

This happened to me once and they held the plane knowing I was running through the airport trying to catch the flight.

#13 8-8-2010 6:39 PM

Kramerdude
Dan
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

First I can't believe that Continental lets someone book that as a valid connection.  That's crazy for an international flight.  On your flight from Sacramento try to get a seat as close to the front of the plane as you can.  The faster you can get off the plane the better off you will be as others have said.  I can pretty much guarantee that your luggage has little chance of making the connection.  I assume you are heading home so it should catch up eventually

If you miss the connection as others have said Continental will rebook you on the next available flight (most likely the one the next day as most have said).  But they will probably not be provided with room and food vouchers if the flight is delayed for weather or air traffic control reasons.  Be very nice and the gate agents may take pity on you.  This would be where Travel Insurance could be helpful but in all honesty you will probably pay as much for the insurance as you would to find a place to stay on your own.

Good luck.

#14 8-8-2010 6:59 PM

fluffychicken7
Cody
Astoria, New York
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

First of all, I am appalled that continental would sell you a flight like that! Secondly, I am a realist and am not confident that this connection could be made even if your plane lands early. You will most likely have to go through carry-on scan anyways changing from Domestic to International Flights. I don't believe travel insurance covers this, the best I can see is they book you on the next available flight and if none is to be had, they probably give you a coupon for a reduce rate at an airport hotel for next day flight.

Did you book this Sac to Hou to London together in one shot or did you buy one set of tickets and another at a separate time. The connect times leaves me wondering.

#15 8-8-2010 8:26 PM

Kramerdude
Dan
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

fluffychicken7 wrote:

Did you book this Sac to Hou to London together in one shot or did you buy one set of tickets and another at a separate time. The connect times leaves me wondering.

Cody, I was curious about that too so I went over and made a dummy booking for Sept 5th on Continental.com.  First flight option that comes up in the list is the exact one Neil booked.  So, yep Continental is selling that as a valid connection through Houston.

#16 8-9-2010 2:37 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

I understood from an earlier reply from Neil that he booked a through flight. Therefore, Continental presumably think it's viable though it does seem very tight.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'd imagine a lot of people would be transferring from other flights arriving into Houston to the onward flight to LON. They will probably hold the onward flight if one or more of them is delayed.

I wouldn't hang around though - go straight to the gate in Houston.

#17 8-9-2010 3:38 AM

jan328
Jane
Ipoh, Malaysia
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

GOOD LUCK!!!!

#18 8-9-2010 4:07 AM

GeorgeLeach
George
Bristol, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

No, travel insurance covers flights being delayed or cancelled. If you miss it, that's your problem. Even though the connection is ridiculously tight, I doubt any travel insurance company will help if you don't make it.

I suggest running.

#19 8-9-2010 4:53 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

Maybe Continental provide Segways...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/63/Male_rider_on_i2.jpg/445px-Male_rider_on_i2.jpg

#20 8-9-2010 4:37 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

fransglobal wrote:

Maybe Continental provide Segways...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _on_i2.jpg

hahaha

#21 8-9-2010 4:39 PM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

Well I will blog about it and let you know how I get on !!!!  I'm in the military so I will sprint for England !!! lol

Last edited by neiluk10 (8-9-2010 4:41 PM)

#22 8-11-2010 5:11 AM

neiluk10
Neil
Swindon, England
Couch Potato

Update: It's ok I should be fine,  I called Continental and spoke to an american advisor. She said on Monday the exact same flight landed at Houston gate 19 and the london flight was at gate 23/ So hopefully it will just be 'down the hallway' like she said.... Plus she said they close the gates 5 minutes before. I was surprised by that. If only I had known that before then I wouldn't of panicked.

Unlike here, which is 30 - 45 mins before. So I can breathe a sigh of relief and relax.  I still won't hang about though.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer