#1 6-27-2010 7:30 PM

Travelling With Controlled Substance Medications And How To Get Refill

I want to take a really long holiday in Europe next year of about three months.  I have rheumatoid arthritis which requires different medications.  I have no problem with getting my doctor to give me a three month prescription for my non-narcotic medications but I might find it a little difficult to wrestle a three month prescription for my narcotics.

How difficult is it travel within Europe with a largish supply of narcotics?  Would it be possible to get them refilled while abroad if I cannot take the whole supply with me?

I have been worrying about this and it has limited my travel to smaller trips, which I guess I can keep doing it if I have to.  I am trying to cram in as much as I can while I am still very mobile.

#2 6-28-2010 4:50 PM

varanus
Tim
Newcastle, Australia
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 123

Re: Travelling With Controlled Substance Medications And How To Get Refill

It really depends on the country if they allow these substances in and weather or not they will prescribe them obviously you will need to see a local doctor while there to get the prescription.
But in all the times ive traveled to europe ive never had any problems with take my medication with me ive always had a letter from my gp explaining what its is and what its used for the only time i had any troble was in Taipei with me bringing in oxycondone which is a stong pain killer but in the end they let it go through so you should have any problems taking it through with you.

#3 6-28-2010 7:43 PM

varanus wrote:

Thats a relief!  I have hydrocodone with me all the time and I have gotten a few questions and looks before but I have always taken a bunch out and carried the bare minimum and I have had my practitioner write letters as well but I am always worried.  It is such a highly stolen and illegally sold medication (as well as oxycodone, oxycontin, methadone) where I live that it is a pain to bring but it is a pain to leave it.   ; )

#4 6-28-2010 9:34 PM

christine4321
St. Catharines, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 756

Re: Travelling With Controlled Substance Medications And How To Get Refill

It would be best to bring the 3 month supply with you. All medication should be in complete original packaging and clearly labelled with the pharmacy sticker.

Bring a complete list of all the medications you are taking ( preferably a pharmacy print out) along with some copies of your medical chart such as Xray, MRI , CT scan, Diagnosis , allergies and complications. This is particularly important in case you need treatment out of the country. Talk to both your doctor and pharmacist to let them know in case any officials want to verify that the doctor prescribed the medications. Bring the address and phone number of the doctor and pharmacy. A written note would be helpful explaining that they prescribed and dispensed a 3 month supply due to your trip.  Of course I am assuming that you are bringing some heavy duty medications with you but with any narcotic it is best to be prepared.

Travelling with prescribed substances is usually not an issue however be careful about over the counter medications. Here in Canada you can purchase 222's and Tylenol #1 from the pharmacy but transporting them over the boarder into USA without a prescription is illegal.

Carry on the bag  containing the medications. When you get to where you are going you may want to keep some of the meds separate from each other in case you lose any. This way you have others to fall back on. Most importantly is keeping them in the original packaging

Last edited by christine4321 (6-28-2010 9:40 PM)

#5 6-29-2010 12:28 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 16481

Re: Travelling With Controlled Substance Medications And How To Get Refill

If you are going to be in the European Union for the duration of your trip, the only customs control you will have is on arrival. Travelling between countries in the EU, there is normally no customs control.

#6 6-29-2010 1:41 PM

christine4321 wrote:

Thank you for the advice and I will follow it. big_smile

#7 6-29-2010 1:43 PM

fransglobal wrote:

You know I totally forgot about that, probably because I have limited by travel to Europe at one country at a time.

Thank you!

#8 7-2-2010 9:56 AM

runingman
Posts: 2

Re: Travelling With Controlled Substance Medications And How To Get Refill

Does anyone know about restrictions for traveling in Spain.  I am prescribed a oxycontin and want to know if I will have any problems when I go.

#9 7-2-2010 10:03 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 16481

Re: Travelling With Controlled Substance Medications And How To Get Refill

Where are you from? If travelling within the EU, you should have no problem.

If coming from outside the EU, maybe google Importation of medicines into Spain or Importation of medicines into the EU.

#10 7-2-2010 10:06 AM

runingman
Posts: 2

I'm coming from United States

#11 7-2-2010 12:32 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3585

Jacqueline_R wrote:

I'm a pharmacist in the UK.  As the law stands you can get prescriptions, but as a nonresident of the UK it would have to be on a private prescription which you would have to pay a consultancy fee for and then the cost of the medication plus retail mark ups.  To get the script you would need proof of a medical need (i.e. a written doctors letter, any hospital forms) and contact information for your doctor at home.

It's pretty much the same across the EU though you would probably find them less enforced in certain countries e.g. Eastern Europe.

I tend to advise stock piling, though with controlled drugs, the usage does get a bit more of a thorough clocking (assuming us pharmacists and doctors are doing our jobs properly of course big_smile).  First thing first, have a chat with the doctor explaining your predicament and see what they are willing to issue.  Then make for absolute certain you get a letter off them with regards to your medical history and need for ongoing medication.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer