#1 5-26-2010 10:43 PM

Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Second Year Working Holiday Visa - Australia

Hi everyone,

I've joined this site in the hope that someone may be able to help me with regards to my 2nd year working holiday visa.

I am in the process of completing my 3 months worth specified work to gain the next visa but I'm a bit confused and worried about the application process.

I have spoken to my employer and they have said that you don't have to necessarily work the full 88 days. As long as you are only working for one farm and you have made yourself "available" should they need you to go in you only have to declare that you have been on their books for three months.

Confused, I called the Immigration offices and spoke to a guy there. Explained the above and he said that as long as the employer is willing to say that you worked there full time for the 3 months, should immigration call, it would be ok.

So, I then looked at the Employment Verification Form online and there is a part where you have to fill in the "actual number of days worked" so now I am confused again.

If any of the above makes sense, or if you have done it yourself, please could someone help me out! I'm really not up for paying for a Visa if it is going to get declined because I've done it wrong.

Thanks a bunch!

#2 6-14-2010 5:36 PM

Re: Second Year Working Holiday Visa - Australia

If you go with that route, for your "actual days worked" you'd have to put the number of days you were "available" to work for your employer, i.e. the number of days they've said you worked for them.

Technically, the information you received is wrong, you do have to complete three months of work.  BUT... almost no one does, because most farmers are happy to sign them off for the full 3 months, regardless of whether it was completed.  As long as your records, and the farms records of your work matches, that is enough to pass any auditing that immigration decides to do.  And even then, they rarely (I've heard 5-10%) check anything beyond what you filled out on your application.

If you're still not happy with that, then just do the full 3 months.  Then you've definitely qualified.

#3 6-21-2010 10:37 AM

run_2thecity
Arnie
Seattle, Washington
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 131

Re: Second Year Working Holiday Visa - Australia

If I qualified for the 2nd year visa am I only allowed to work on farms?

#4 6-21-2010 10:44 PM

Re: Second Year Working Holiday Visa - Australia

To qualify, you have to work on a farm (or other similar "regional" work) for 3 months.  Once you've qualified, you can work anywhere you want. (for up to 6 months per employer)

#5 6-21-2010 11:07 PM

kimburrows1242
Kim
Brisbane, Australia
Couch Potato
Posts: 4

Re: Second Year Working Holiday Visa - Australia

Can I ask where you did your farming?

#6 6-22-2010 6:29 PM

Re: Second Year Working Holiday Visa - Australia

It was in Bundaberg, Queensland, but I can't remember the name of the farm off the top of my head.  If I can find my old paperwork I'll post again.

There are TONS to be found on gumtree.com.au, under the farming jobs section (once you wade through all the postings for people looking for work).  I actually posted in there about looking for regional work and the place contacted me.  I think there are several other websites as well if you search through the information on the goverment visa websites there are some links.

There are also usually postings at hostels about places.

Wherever you go, just make sure you check the post code of the farm you're in, to be sure it qualifies.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer